Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

261 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, LB said:

Sound like that will be a nice setup with the Visser 4, let us know how it feels after some use in springtime.

From what l can make out from the picture spools look almost about the same in size.

The Visser spool is a bit taller. 

D7BBC555-EABF-47E7-AA3B-01CFAAB89812.jpeg

On 2/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, beerdoh said:

So my parts came today and I ended up installing 2 of the shims on top of the gear. There are 2 thicknesses (part# AAA110-03 is .08mm & part# AAA110-02 .18mm) and after trying a few combinations I ended up with one of each and the play is significantly reduced. There is still a little play but adding another thin shim caused some tightness. I would have liked to try just 4 of the thinner ones but I only ordered 1 set. Anyway, it's an improvement and good enough. The shims are only $1 per set btw... 

While I was in there I installed another spool shaft spacer to improve the line lay and a power knob so good to go for spring!

OK so I got my parts ordered along with a few spare o rings & seals - thanks again!  But here's the strange thing - compare the 2 reel schematics below.  The top is the one that you posted & the bottom is the one that pure fishing sent me yesterday:

vr50b.JPG.55d764a77dead5e9b043d02706cc05c1.JPG

vr50.JPG.d0fb9b6c3d61f046ab9ead3b539e3db7.JPG

Notice how the 2 washers (#19 & #20) above the gear bearing are missing from the second picture?  Did they recently eliminate those 2 washers/shims? The schematic is for the VR50/VR50B.

There could be an early and late model VR50 or an update was done to the later reel some time there will be a print at the bottom of the paper, the washers are there to take up any play.

9 hours ago, beerdoh said:

The Visser spool is a bit taller. 

D7BBC555-EABF-47E7-AA3B-01CFAAB89812.jpeg

Like you said more line, how easy is it to adjust the line lay, how does it feel compared to the VR50?

5 hours ago, vinnyb said:

OK so I got my parts ordered along with a few spare o rings & seals - thanks again!  But here's the strange thing - compare the 2 reel schematics below.  The top is the one that you posted & the bottom is the one that pure fishing sent me yesterday:

vr50b.JPG.55d764a77dead5e9b043d02706cc05c1.JPG

vr50.JPG.d0fb9b6c3d61f046ab9ead3b539e3db7.JPG

Notice how the 2 washers (#19 & #20) above the gear bearing are missing from the second picture?  Did they recently eliminate those 2 washers/shims? The schematic is for the VR50/VR50B.

They do update their diagrams to add things like the bailess kit, etc. I have 3 versions but not this one. I don't think they've changed the basic design of the reel at all as that would make it very hard to stock parts.

Your diagram looks more reasonable as there's no reason to put the shims on top of the bearing in order to push the main gear further inwards. If you did that and used too many shims the bearing might not seat all the way into the cover which would allow it to shift.

That said, it's possible there could be play between the components inside the cover (the inner bearing (#21), the spacer (#23) and the outer bearing (#25)). Those components should be cinched together when you tighten the handle. If there is play it would put unnecessary pressure on the inner and outer bearings. For kicks I just put a thin shim on top of the bearing and didn't feel much of a difference leading me to believe there was some play there but I have no real way of knowing.

Anyway, it's the tightening of the side cover onto the main body that pushes the main gear into the pinion so to fix play in the gears, put the shims on the main gear under the bearing. If you think there's play between the components inside the cover, try a shim on top of the bearing.  

1 min ago, LB said:

Like you said more line, how easy is it to adjust the line lay, how does it feel compared to the VR50?

There's no way to adjust the line lay but it's much better than it looks in the picture and better than the VR50 out of the box. I spooled it reeling under tension without putting on an even base with a drill like I've always done with my VR50. I did add a spacer to my VR50 recently so hope I don't have to do the base layer next time I change my line.

As for feel, the Visser is tighter and smoother. It's got better seals so slightly harder to reel but no too bad. Not at all geary. Rotational balance is excellent. Build quality and components are excellent. Drag stack and design look excellent. Overall it feels very solid so I have high hopes. I'll provide feedback in the Main once I've used it for a while.