Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

261 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

It's a roll pin. Every good hardware store near you will sell one. Size may be an issue though. Just email vs and have them send you one. 

Is it just a regular a roll pin? I thought I actually remember reading a while back in your take down thread it was a knurled pin that was held in place by press fitting and shouldn’t be removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Is it just a regular a roll pin? I thought I actually remember reading a while back in your take down thread it was a knurled pin that was held in place by press fitting and shouldn’t be removed

Some blow hard commented on one of my posts and told me that. He was some engineering pro with high blood pressure. I took mine out with a press and put it back in no problem. I only landed a dozen fish over 35" on it after that so hard to tell :)

Edited by xjclint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, xjclint said:

Some blow hard commented on one of my posts and told me that. He was some engineering pro with high blood pressure. I took mine out with a press and put it back in no problem. I only landed a dozen fish over 35" on it after that so hard to tell :)

Lol gotcha. I’ll just center it for now then email VS if they have the part 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The roll pin could be the same as VS100/150 l don't have VR50 l did do a service on a VR50 but didn't pay any attention to the pin, the shaft pin on my VS150 is Dian .068/.070 length is .375 if that helps you.

 

lf that's your size l could mail you one.

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, Five_Oh said:

I purchased a VR50 not too long back.  I've since then sold it.  compared to a ZeeBaas  the VR doesnt seem like its worth its price point.  By all means get what you like, but I dont think id get the VR50 again.  The only issue I had with the VR was a sort of tight grinding feeling with it.  Could just have bee that it hadnt have been serviced in a while.  But id expect more from a sealed reel.

The appeal to a “VR50” is the size and weight with waterproof capabilities.  I do not think ZeeBass can compare in that category that I’m aware of.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in another thread but it really belongs here. Although I really like my VR50, I have experienced an intermittent “geary” feel in certain situations. Most commonly it occurs when reeling under load, such as bucktailing in current. I recently serviced this reel & noticed something interesting - the teeth on both the main & pinion gears are very small. I’ve serviced a lot of reels & have never seen such fine teeth on a main gear set. I’m wondering if that’s what could be contributing to the intermittent geary feel. Maybe someone familiar with the mechanical workings of reels such as @scoobydoo can offer their insights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vinnyb said:

I mentioned this in another thread but it really belongs here. Although I really like my VR50, I have experienced an intermittent “geary” feel in certain situations. Most commonly it occurs when reeling under load, such as bucktailing in current. I recently serviced this reel & noticed something interesting - the teeth on both the main & pinion gears are very small. I’ve serviced a lot of reels & have never seen such fine teeth on a main gear set. I’m wondering if that’s what could be contributing to the intermittent geary feel. Maybe someone familiar with the mechanical workings of reels such as @scoobydoo can offer their insights. 

I think the small teeth do contribute to the geary feeling because they mesh/unmesh at a higher frequency. I’ve also noticed play in the gears that could be a contributing factor. If I grab the spool so it can’t turn, I can move the handle back and forth. If I remove the handle, I can push the main gear in and out a fraction. If I push the gear in with the handle off and turn the spool, it feels much smoother. This play leads me to believe the gears aren’t fully meshing so I ordered a set of shims from VS to see if that tightens things up. I’ll report back here once they arrive and I get them installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I think the small teeth do contribute to the geary feeling because they mesh/unmesh at a higher frequency. I’ve also noticed play in the gears that could be a contributing factor. If I grab the spool so it can’t turn, I can move the handle back and forth. If I remove the handle, I can push the main gear in and out a fraction. If I push the gear in with the handle off and turn the spool, it feels much smoother. This play leads me to believe the gears aren’t fully meshing so I ordered a set of shims from VS to see if that tightens things up. I’ll report back here once they arrive and I get them installed.

Thanks man - appreciate your thoughts. If there’s some play combined with fine gear teeth, it would make sense that it would feel geary if/when the gears aren’t meshing properly under load. Is VS sending you shims free of charge? Assuming they’re placed on top of the main gear bearing, directly under the side cover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, saltygator said:

QC is absolutely atrocious I think. I had a silver one that broke on me on the first big fish I hooked up on. Completely blew up, started to grind and lock up, wobble, everything. I just got rid of it as is. But I picked up a Vr50 black to give it another chance and it’s been really solid. Other than a noisy line roller recently, it’s great. 
 

I’m debating on picking up another one but I’m sketched out at getting a bad one. How would one even make sure the QC on theirs is good?

Same thing happen to a friend of mine on a 15#er after 2 years of hassles he just threw it away . He didn't have the heart to sell it ,jmo get something else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Thanks man - appreciate your thoughts. If there’s some play combined with fine gear teeth, it would make sense that it would feel geary if/when the gears aren’t meshing properly under load. Is VS sending you shims free of charge? Assuming they’re placed on top of the main gear bearing, directly under the side cover?

Hey, I ordered a bunch of things from VS along with the shims. I probably could have gotten them free but they are cheap so just added them to my order. The shims are only there if needed at assembly and can be placed in a couple of locations depicted below (#'s 19 & 20). I assume there are two thicknesses as there are two different part numbers. In 3 years of heavy use I've never had a failure or functional issue with my VR50 but figured I'd give this a try to quiet things down.

 

19 - Drive Gear Adjust WasherAAA110-022

20 - Drive Gear Adjust WasherAAA110-032

Shims.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Hey, I ordered a bunch of things from VS along with the shims. I probably could have gotten them free but they are cheap so just added them to my order. The shims are only there if needed at assembly and can be placed in a couple of locations depicted below (#'s 19 & 20). I assume there are two thicknesses as there are two different part numbers. In 3 years of heavy use I've never had a failure or functional issue with my VR50 but figured I'd give this a try to quiet things down.

 

19 - Drive Gear Adjust WasherAAA110-022

20 - Drive Gear Adjust WasherAAA110-032

Shims.JPG

Great - thanks.  I definitely have a washer under the bearing but not on top as shown in the diagram.  I'll give VS a shout to see if they can send them to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Great - thanks.  I definitely have a washer under the bearing but not on top as shown in the diagram.  I'll give VS a shout to see if they can send them to me.

Mine has none...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 7:23 PM, xjclint said:

It's a roll pin. Every good hardware store near you will sell one. Size may be an issue though. Just email vs and have them send you one. 

You need a stainless roll pin :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, vinnyb said:

I mentioned this in another thread but it really belongs here. Although I really like my VR50, I have experienced an intermittent “geary” feel in certain situations. Most commonly it occurs when reeling under load, such as bucktailing in current. I recently serviced this reel & noticed something interesting - the teeth on both the main & pinion gears are very small. I’ve serviced a lot of reels & have never seen such fine teeth on a main gear set. I’m wondering if that’s what could be contributing to the intermittent geary feel. Maybe someone familiar with the mechanical workings of reels such as @scoobydoo can offer their insights. 

Side covers have fallen off while reeling under pressure. What does that tell you? Gear alignment is an issue if the whole gear and cover can fall off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when i 1st got my Vr50 black early last year i had a few issues after 1 outing.  The bail would be sticky, meaning it would close all the way if i flipped it.  the bail joint accumulated some sand preventing it to close properly.  Easy fix, i added a thin layer a marine grease and its worked fine ever since.  Next, during the spring run, i hooked into a monster bass.  After bringing it in and releasing it, the next few cast the reel felt geary.  I then noticed the side plate was a tad loose, so i tighted by hand.  It didnt help, it continued to feel geary.  I broght the reel to Saltys in Long island to have it service.  Truth be told, I needed new internal gears.  I was told that the gears were messed up because of the loose side plate under pressure.  Since then, the reel has worked flawlessly.

 

In conclusion, while the reel is fantastic, there is definitly some QC issues when coming from the factory.  Basically, if you have a brand new VR50, never used, check the bail that i closes properly and that the side plate is tightly closed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.