Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Baitbucket said:

Thats irrelevant as there is no stipulation in the warranty prohibiting it. As such it would have no bearing in regards to the warranty claim.

Sending a new product for a defective one is pretty standard procedure..Doesnt matter that it was opened up...

OK I'll break out my crayons one last time to explain it to you :wave:

It's not a matter of whether or not the product is still covered under warranty if it's opened up - of course it is. But warranty work requires that the reel be shipped (at the buyer's expense) back to VS or brought to an authorized service center. Once you open up the reel, this is the standard procedure.  By contrast, if one reported the reel as defective (to either the retailer or VS) as soon as that defect was discovered (without opening up the reel), the likelihood that it would be replaced without having to go through the standard warranty service procedure is much higher.

Besides, what is there to gain by opening up the reel at that point? Do you actually think there's going to be some magical fix for a loud knock? I've been servicing reels for 30 years & I've never had an issue magically fix itself by just opening it up. If it's something that you can feel or hear, it's likely going to require a more in depth repair. If it's happening right out of the box, that's called a manufacturing defect & the retailer and/or VS should be notified immediately.

We good now? :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Thats irrelevant as there is no stipulation in the warranty prohibiting it. As such it would have no bearing in regards to the warranty claim.

Agreed, it’s just a greasy thing to go.  And what even greasier is to come in a public forum, to complain about a service rep who you just completely mislead.

Edited by Cpalms

While you got your crayons out, can I borrow one? Preferably one you haven't been chewing on?

1 hour ago, vinnyb said:

OK I'll break out my crayons one last time to explain it to you :wave:

It's not a matter of whether or not the product is still covered under warranty if it's opened up - of course it is. But warranty work requires that the reel be shipped (at the buyer's expense) back to VS or brought to an authorized service center. Once you open up the reel, this is the standard procedure. 

This is not stated anywhere, it is also Cleary speaking to reels that have been fished.. Not brand new out of the box...

By contrast, if one reported the reel as defective (to either the retailer or VS) as soon as that defect was discovered (without opening up the reel), the likelihood that it would be replaced without having to go through the standard warranty service procedure is much higher.

Wrong again and im glad you pointed that it should be replaced if it was defective out of the box. The poster stated he never told the rep he opened the reel, so are far as they knew it was defective out of the box.  He was still asked to send it in or bring it in for repair, got dicked around, and a rep with a bad attitude on the phone.. 

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Agreed, it’s just a greasy thing to go.  And what even greasier is to come in a public forum, to complain about a service rep who you just completely mislead.

He complaining about how the situation was handled, not the end result. The fact that he didnt tell them he opened it, even if it did make a difference, is evidence for his case that the rep shouldnt have dicked him around..

17 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

This is not stated anywhere, it is also Cleary speaking to reels that have been fished.. Not brand new out of the box...

This makes no sense whatsoever.  So as long as I don't fish with it, I can do whatever I want to a brand new reel & expect the company to make good on it?

17 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

The poster stated he never told the rep he opened the reel, so are far as they knew it was defective out of the box.  He was still asked to send it in or bring it in for repair, got dicked around, and a rep with a bad attitude on the phone.. 

I agree he got a bad rep. but in general any company will be more cooperative if the product they just sold you isn't tampered with. But once again, feel free to do whatever you like if that's what makes you happy.

I'm out - this conversation is beyond silly at this point.

5 mins ago, vinnyb said:

This makes no sense whatsoever.  So as long as I don't fish with it, I can do whatever I want to a brand new reel & expect the company to make good on it?

Anything, No. You seem to only see black and white. Look in that crayon box, there are alot of different colors. Him popping the side plate off (which they give u the tools to do) doesnt label it a used reel.. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Van Staal provides a tool to open the reel. They expect you to open the reel. Nothing wrong with that :)

VS should replace new reels that have issues. They have done this many times with the VR series. Well documented here on SOL. 

Regarding their saleman Craig, he is a saleman and has not always been 100% honest. He will tell you that Van Staal designed the VR reel, which is simply not true. It was designed by RK. Built and sold under several names (RK Subaqua and Trydent Sea Proof - 2 reels I have personally held in my had) and also produced under the Blue Marlin name as BMC and marketed as the 3-Tand Submariner).

RK has has name on every VR which suggests he signed a license agreement for Van Staal to produce and sell his design for a fee. Finally a good business decision by RK :)

Edited by ged

No line lay but wobble when when reeling. Feels like the counterbalance is incorrect (using the bailed version). VS authorized repair shop said all made that way, nothing wrong, I disagree. I was considering going bailless but threads said going bailless causing a counterbalance issue. Anyone else feel the wobble when reeling?

1 hour ago, Brooklyn_fisherman_BB said:

No line lay but wobble when when reeling. Feels like the counterbalance is incorrect (using the bailed version). VS authorized repair shop said all made that way, nothing wrong, I disagree. I was considering going bailless but threads said going bailless causing a counterbalance issue. Anyone else feel the wobble when reeling?

I have two VR50's. One wobble and the other doesn't...

2 hours ago, Brooklyn_fisherman_BB said:

Have you got a VR50? As far as I know there isn't a bailess conversion like there is for the larger VRs. 

I have 2 VR50s now and neither wobble.