Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nowildwood

Topless Crab Trap Frame

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm interested in building a few topless traps and I'm trying to figure out how the butt joint is made on the stainless steel wire frame. Can someone tell me if it is pulse welded with expensive equipment or soldered with supplies I can get from HD/Lowes. I know the easy way out is to use a two inch piece of brake line as a sleeve and crimp but I want them to look professional.   Thanks IMG_0298.JPG.3af0443394417983ee2467f678a3df23.JPGIMG_0293.JPG.a5f1debe484db8a8a66daf5b654fecc1.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

A few? ask a friend with a TIG welder to help you out. I don't know how you'd fasten the butt joint without welding. The crimp idea... might work but I'd want something a little more dependable. I mean you're going to spend time and money putting some jerk traps together and then throw them overboard.

17 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Just wondering what's to gain by going topless ? I would think they will just dart out the top when you pull it in ? 

Not at all.  They're designed to be pulled straight up, from a boat, not thrown from a dock.  Every once in a great while you see/feel a crab get out, but it's rare, as long as you go through the effort to pull it in like you mean it.

Main advantage is stackability.  30 topless traps in 3 stacks of 10 takes up very little room compared to 30 box traps, especially in a smaller boat/skiff.

20171103_125910.jpg.f4547447dc44c3abacd0fa9643d8a911.jpg20171011_092508.jpg.3f729e2f8739e66fa4924c535f7ccae5.jpg

Edited by JoeyZac

The one I show in the post came rigged with 15' of nylon line and a 3"x4"  orange float and set me back $30 plus tax at a well known chain marine store..It is definitely a quality trap. I have sourced most of the materials I need. I have no experience with welding but am willing to buy equipment and learn .However, if I use #9 galvanized wire and crimp with pieces of hydraulic tubing I can always repair a failed joint on the fly with a good pair of pliers and if I lose the trap with a low build cost it won't be a big loss. If you have ever set out 30 traps or so you lose track of them at times especially on open water. Foxy mate makes a topless trap but it looks really cheaply made and I like quality things. I have a lot of time on my hands nowadays and I am bored catching throw back fluke during the summer. This is a new hobby for me.  

Thanks for the contributions so far. 

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Not at all.  They're designed to be pulled straight up, from a boat, not thrown from a dock.  Every once in a great while you see/feel a crab get out, but it's rare, as long as you go through the effort to pull it in like you mean it.

Main advantage is stackability.  30 topless traps in 3 stacks of 10 takes up very little room compared to 30 box traps, especially in a smaller boat/skiff.

20171103_125910.jpg.f4547447dc44c3abacd0fa9643d8a911.jpg20171011_092508.jpg.3f729e2f8739e66fa4924c535f7ccae5.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, I'm always willing to learn .

Here's a picture of a topless crimped trap that was made buy a guy that is no longer in business. Frame wire and trap wire are galvanized. He had a good reputation but he changed jobs and trap building was a side thing for him. 5ba2ded59a270_crabtrap(2).jpg.f6b640cda0166c1f08d8bc8ee8e6da29.jpg

I would just go for the crimp. 

You could do a weld with any small arc or mig welder but it wouldn’t be that pretty and not worth the price of the equipment.