mybeach

Tavern food thread

Rate this topic

2,409 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, Reed422 said:

I would crush that! Looks flakey. Is it flakey or more bread-like? Either way I'm getin hungry.

Super flaky!

43 mins ago, JaseB said:

Wow, that's impressive.   Meat, taters and onyuns inside bread.  That's a perfect meal in my world.

What's the name, I want to google up a recipe.

We call it Byrek. If you look it up there are a lot variations. The easiest way is with pre made phylo dough, but my wife hand makes and rolls the dough.

chessie_yaker likes this

Just now, IsmailG said:

We call it Byrek. If you look it up there are a lot variations. The easiest way is with pre made phylo dough, but my wife hand makes and rolls the dough.

Is byrek and lakror similar or the same thing? I was wondering if it was a regional name for the same/similar dish. I’ve seen recipes that use spinach rather than meat, but I’m all about the meat pie 

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

It’s really interesting to see similarities across kinds of people, when it comes to food. 

There's a Indian pizza place that just opened up near me, shockingly good.

6 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Is byrek and lakror similar or the same thing? I was wondering if it was a regional name for the same/similar dish. I’ve seen recipes that use spinach rather than meat, but I’m all about the meat pie 

Similar, lakror is less layers, and thicker dough less flaky. They stuff it with everything, tomatoes, spinach and cheese, squash/cream mixture etc.

chessie_yaker likes this

19 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Any chance you can post her recipe?  Most I see are either hacks or use spinach.

chessie_yaker likes this

6 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Similar, lakror is less layers, and thicker dough less flaky. They stuff it with everything, tomatoes, spinach and cheese, squash/cream mixture etc.

I wonder if they are closely related to the meat pie my Italian (off the boat) great grandmother would make around Easter. Sort of like a quiche, but very different from anything I’ve had since. I’m gonna have to find a legit recipe for byrek and give it a shot. 

1 min ago, chessie_yaker said:

I wonder if they are closely related to the meat pie my Italian (off the boat) great grandmother would make around Easter. Sort of like a quiche, but very different from anything I’ve had since. I’m gonna have to find a legit recipe for byrek and give it a shot. 

I'm sure it's similar, everyone in that region has some sort of variation. 

45 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

That's the pitz a gain. 

chessie_yaker likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 mins ago, Billybob said:

That's the pitz a gain. 

^ knows things.  And that albanian pizza pienna looks wayyyy better

Edited by Any Luck Buddy

1 hour ago, IsmailG said:

I'm sure it's similar, everyone in that region has some sort of variation. 

Do you have anything like strufoli? Fried dough balls (not zepolis) covered in honey. That is one of my favorite things about Christmas time. 

The polish make something similar called peroski (sp?)  when I lived in Seattle there was lil shop with lil grandma in the window making these things .. man they were good .. stuffed with all different types of meat and veggies ..  like a next level hot pocket