Otshawytsha

Poll: Cull Seals or Embrace and Adjust?

Cull Or Not Cull Seals in New England?   66 members have voted

1. 1. Cull or Not Cull Seals?

• Cull seals: eliminate them entirely
    • Cull seals but leave a small population in out of the way places that aren't great for fishing
    • Do not cull seals but allow commercial hunting
    • Do not cull seals or allow hunting

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 posts in this topic

Just seems like recreational hunting is unrealistic. Some kind of commercial enterprise that would make use of the entire seal and supply jobs for Mainers and stuff seems most viable. 

Live line a seal. Best solution for everyone. The largest great white shark ever was caught on a live porpoise.

I think at this point we should be allowed to fish for the whites. No retention but at least be able to target them for catch a release. Land based sharking Cape Cod style. Some people will probably get killed but you have to take risks sometimes to get that adrenaline rush.

Weren’t there more seals 100 years ago than there are now but we hunted them near extinction?  Just because there’s more now than in the last fifty years doesn’t mean there’s too many. Sharks have always been here as wellif I’m not mistaken 

Posted (edited)

Leave our marine mammals alone. If your worried about them eating to much fish. Stop fishing. If your worried about getting bitten by a shark swim in Maine. I think we should be culling commercial fisherman. If you have the heart to kill a seal then go join an Eskimo community. 

Edited by SamWalker

18 hours ago, GooganFish said:

Live line a seal. Best solution for everyone. The largest great white shark ever was caught on a live porpoise.

I think at this point we should be allowed to fish for the whites. No retention but at least be able to target them for catch a release. Land based sharking Cape Cod style. Some people will probably get killed but you have to take risks sometimes to get that adrenaline rush.

Ha Ha that would be awesome!

You could use a stand up harness on the beach

Yeah, sure, just leave them alone. They're not hurting anyone, right?

Oh, wait, they've forced closures of a number of Cape beaches, but that's alright, right?

Then again, they are decimating ALL fish in their new habitat, but that's not bad, right?

Oh, and they've already increased the amount of ground fish infestation with the parasitic worms they spread around in their crap, but that's alright, right?

I guess we should also stop "culling hunts" for deer and just let them alone so they can increase in numbers that the available food CANNOT sustain and let them happily starve to death, right?

Yeah, leave them alone and you will eventually be saying "Good-bye" to spending a day on any Cape beaches and being able to swim in the infested waters they will create!

Right....NOT.

If there is a commercial use for their meat and skins, then go for it!  

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

If there is a commercial use for their meat and skins, then go for it!  

Maybe Uncle Josh could have a go...seal skin trailers 

20 hours ago, GooganFish said:

You can do that now! The prohibition on Great Whites is no possession and if one is caught it must be released immediately with as little damage as possible.

Just now, MakoMike said:

You can do that now! The prohibition on Great Whites is no possession and if one is caught it must be released immediately with as little damage as possible.

Perhaps you could get away with, "we were targeting other sharks". I feel it's really a grey area though. I don't think you are allow to actually target whites, so you'd have to play dumb and claim it was by-catch. It's pretty obvious what you are up to though when you are geared up with a 14/0 + standup harness. Realistically, what species would you be trying to catch? I know it's illegal to target tuna from land. Some lefty nut would probably call the environment cops eventually.

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, GooganFish said:

Perhaps you could get away with, "we were targeting other sharks". I feel it's really a grey area though. I don't think you are allow to actually target whites, so you'd have to play dumb and claim it was by-catch. It's pretty obvious what you are up to though when you are geared up with a 14/0 + standup harness. Realistically, what species would you be trying to catch? I know it's illegal to target tuna from land. Some lefty nut would probably call the environment cops eventually.

There might be an issue if you were shark fishing from the beach, but it certainly would be perfectly legal if you did it from a boat with the required high seas license. I wonder what the NMFS/NOAA fisheries are doing with all the shark fishermen on the beach down in Florida?

Oh, its not illegal to target tuna from the beach, its only illegal to catch and keep one.

Edited by MakoMike