codfish

Why no captive great white sharks

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ha! Just watched the video. It mentioned the great white shark I had seen at the Monterey Aquarium!
:)

Edited by TroutGhost

They die pretty quickly apparently. People would love to force one to live in a tiny glass cage but they always press the self-destruct button. Yet they kept trying!

they've had modest success with juvy great whites in captivaty... problem is that great whites don't get along with their tank mates and try to eat them... 

8 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

They die pretty quickly apparently. People would love to force one to live in a tiny glass cage but they always press the self-destruct button. Yet they kept trying!

I think you will find most of the respectable aquariums have moved away from keeping them.

I don't know that for a fact but all the bad press on captive whales has the good aquariums scrambling to separate themselves from Sea world et al. 

They try and present themselves as more than wet zoos with miserable critters in tiny glass boxes. They all have an educational aspect and a conservation aspect that would preclude displaying doomed animals. 

I'm gonna give it a go... my swimming pool looks like the water off monomoy... should be a great environment

5 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I'm gonna give it a go... my swimming pool looks like the water off monomoy... should be a great environment

Let us know how that works out:laugh: