cashews121

Shad

32 posts in this topic

I have never tried to catch a Shad,on purpose anyway..snagged a few over the years,,but if I were to target them,what are the lures they like?

I’ve caught hickory shad on 1-2 inch fin s fish. Not sure on the exact size. A Hopkins for the weight and a dropped loop above it for the fin s fish

i think the other species of shad I caught was American and we used Bare gold hooks at night tied up as a homemade sabiki rig. Hooks were very small

Posted (edited)

I catch them once and awhile ( particularly in spring and fall) on 4" Red Gill teaser fished up ahead of a plug or bucktail/Cocahoe minnow. Sometimes they will hit the plug/bucktail too if they are small enough. They are usually mixed in with feeding school bass.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I have very limited experience but small bucktails or shad darts work. Basically as small as your equip can throw.

Small lures will get them. Willow leafs, kastmasters (think snapper size), shad darts, and small soft plastics. 

Using a small Hopkins for weight and a white or clear teaser I often catch shad in the fall off Ocean County beaches. Targeting snapper Blues they are a welcome by catch on light tackle. I always release them but those who enjoy shad in the spring would probably find them good for the table.

I've picked up dozens in the last few weeks. Seems like massive schools of them are around at sunrise.. many have been on the jig shown in the picture but others have been on the hogy heavy minnow while casting for albies and bonito.. small deadly dick lures have been a hot ticket also.. 

imagejpeg_2.jpg.3848fa4dea17e57d1f896925e261756a.jpg20180912_064237.jpg.a7e9c8f5718955838239d3ee64fe5737.jpg

10 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Is that a lure?

It's a small paddle taile soft plastic...I think about 3" long or so...that you typically use on a small (perhaps 1/2 oz) jig head. 

But anyway, hickory shad are very agressive...they can be caught on stuff as large as small plugs and soft plastics. But if you use small spoons, shad darts, or fly fish with small streamers, you could very well catch 30-40 fish an hour...usually at first light or dusk. You can catch them throughout the day, but usually at a slower pace (although in the fall, i've had 'a fish a cast' outings right in the middle of the day)

Shad Darts.  They can be caught on flies too.

100_6434.JPG

100_4364.JPG

Two type we see here in the northeast.

American Shad which are the larger of the two.

They are filter feeders and typically get caught during the spring when they head upriver to spawn.

Shad darts are the simplest lure to use, as the shad aren't "eating" the lure, but attacking it as if it were a small fish looking to score some eggs for a snack.

Hickory Shad which are smaller but easier to catch when located.

They are carnivores, eating small fish and crustaceans.

When I knew they were around I would bring a small rig with either a sabiki rig or small Mr. Twister on a 1/8 - 1/2 oz jig head. Then live line them for bass.

So.....target them, catch them and then live-line them!

*Just remember that there is a 6 fish limit for shad, per person, per day.