salt deficient

Can the right Subaru do it? MPG? NY/LI

28 posts in this topic

Was behind a 15 year old subaru forester today.  That thing has some ground clearance.

So, what would you do in my case?   Live by Albany NY, but sorely miss robert moses inlet and the south bay in a boat.  Got the boat in a bag solution for the boat.  Zodiac inflatable with 8hp outboard.

The surf part...    Moses is about a 350 mile round trip.  12mpg pickup with camper back 90 bucks in gas.   Something 30ish mpg 30 bucks gas.   Some places you can camp in the suffolk county park, so truck camper isn't a dire need, but sure want one....

What would you guys do in my case for may then sept through november.

-Suck it up buttercup, get a 3/4 ton and camper.....

-bring the 14mpg old dodge pickup with 4wd.

-IS it possible to use a FWD economy car and park at the entrances.  I think there's a permit for that.

-Or, is there a decent mpg option hatchback / SUV that can get on the sand a bit?  

4 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Was behind a 15 year old subaru forester today.  That thing has some ground clearance.

So, what would you do in my case?   Live by Albany NY, but sorely miss robert moses inlet and the south bay in a boat.  Got the boat in a bag solution for the boat.  Zodiac inflatable with 8hp outboard.

The surf part...    Moses is about a 350 mile round trip.  12mpg pickup with camper back 90 bucks in gas.   Something 30ish mpg 30 bucks gas.   Some places you can camp in the suffolk county park, so truck camper isn't a dire need, but sure want one....

What would you guys do in my case for may then sept through november.

-Suck it up buttercup, get a 3/4 ton and camper.....

-bring the 14mpg old dodge pickup with 4wd.

-IS it possible to use a FWD economy car and park at the entrances.  I think there's a permit for that.

-Or, is there a decent mpg option hatchback / SUV that can get on the sand a bit?  

Honestly, I'd stay home.

Find a local lake and see if you can scratch your itch there. Your options all seem to require excessive time, effort, and cost. Long way to hump it and rough it to spend time amongst the masses. Better off yodeling in yer backyard.   

Gun to my head, I'd bring the gas slob with the sleeping quarters.

I've seen plenty of Subaru's on the beach. Been meaning to take my daughters out on the sand to give it a try to see how different AWD is from 4WD. With mine within reasonable distance to pull if needed.

I used to have a forester.  Great vehicle, but I never trusted it in the sand.  I've seen them before on the beach, but thats not to say that they wont get stuck. I now have a tacoma and certain there is some stuff I drove through last year that a forester wouldnt have made it through.  Not to mention, the hairy stuff was close to the shoreline so getting stuck there could mean some serious trouble.

The ground clearance is misleading.  8.7 inches is basically the frame of the forester.  While on a truck its usually where the differential dips down.  The frame and majority of the compents are much higher.  I think on my truck is something like 17 inches.  So while my differential or skid plate my touch the sand when in deep stuff, its far from bottoming out.

I see lots of Crosstreks on the beach. But my vote is to run what you own. Like someone else said, it takes a lot of fuel to make up for the price of a new vehicle. Unless you were going to buy one anyway. But a 14 year old truck isn't that old, at least not to me. Are you talking about doing this every weekend in fall, or just sporadically? If infrequent then it makes even less sense to get a new (or new to you) vehicle. Hate to be the pragmatist and take the fun out of it but keep your money. 

My son put a Forester to work in outer banks sand a couple years ago.  It did it and survived but he had to put the plastic inner fenders back in.  They were getting torn out.   

I have a Forester - they don't come with skid plates so you have to be extra careful if you're traversing rocky beaches or washed out dirt roads.

I used a Forster for years without issue. However, that was on NJ Beaches, supposedly some of LI Beaches have deeper and softer sand areas, I will say I went through many spots that were deep and soft, never got stuck. On the flip side, I drove a Toyota Highlander on the beach for 15 years, stuck 3x, all my fault but it never was as good as the Forester in both clearance or traction.

These days, I picked up a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlanderwith a 4WD system that has a differential lock. I just picked up a permit so not sure how it will do but I'm confident. Lots of space and its good on gas like a Subaru.

In my opinion, too many folks don't care about gas usage until they buy them and then realize the big trucks are gas slobs, fill them up for near a hunny and it don't last long. I was empty yesterday, took $37, that will last for over 300 miles. I keep hearing about these trucks getting 20-25 mpg, that's highway mileage at best and alos by computer read out. Most trucks get 14-16 mpg around town and near 20 if you baby them on the road.

A Subaru will get 23-25 around town and 28-33 on the road going as fast as you wish. Big $$ savings over a long period.

Yes. yes they can.

Cape point, hatteras nc.

2018 Outback, 2" LP Adventure lift (probably not needed) and 245/65/17 Terraincontacts.

A wrangler was stuck. many F50s were stuck, a 4 runner, was stuck. Most sunk to the frame. I never had even a hint of a problem, and had to even stop in the worst part when a 4 runner who wasn't aired down got stuck in front of me.

The subaru is probably better than a 4x4. x mode on, TC off, air down and roll it.

With the basket on I get about 23 MPG on the road with this setup (3.6R) and around 25-25 without it. The roof basket has far less MPG strain on the 3.6R than the 2.5i.

1006180930_resized.jpg