Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keale

Sharpening Lathe tools... HELP!!

15 posts in this topic

Looking for an easy to use sharpener, does it exist?  I have a slow speed grinder, and doing it by hand, I think I'm probably ruining my tools...I have a 2" gauge, and it now seems to take off "slithers" of wood.  Thanks for the help guys!

Any benchtop grinder will do.  You don't need a Tormek to sharpen tools to turn plugs. Look on you tube to see how woodturners sharpen gouges.  You may wish to purchase a jig but its not necessary.

Yeah definitely not needed but man what a joy to use.  Sharpens my tools in 20 seconds, and takes off minimal metal which extends the life.  One of my favorite purchases ever.  I also use it  for drill bits, knives etc.  what is nice also you write down the setting for each tool and get the exact cut each time.  If you are going to do this for a long while it’s definitely worth looking into. 

ABA6D262-A0DE-43FB-8E7B-381EB55FDA5B.jpeg

Tormek is def the way to go if you can afford it. I did buy my dad a knockoff version called a WEN sharpener, and he loves it. Said he sharpened every knife/tool he owns. So there are alternatives if you are a budget guy, but if you have the money I would highly recommend the Tormek like Norcal

if your using a bench grinder you want to hold the chisel to the wheel so a light amount of sparks come out the top not a full blown shower hard to describe easier if someone showed you definitely be mindful of your edge angle keep a steady hand jigs are great try making one will give you a more uniform edge vs freestyle if you have no experience don't overheat the tool you will loose temper and make softer  ie don't get it red hot if you do quench it it oil not water the water may make it to brittle

Posted (edited)

Watch some utube if some one cant show you how to sharpen them. Don't what you call slow bench grinder turn about 1800 RPM as standard.

Edited by LB

Pink stone for the grinder...120 grit....no sparks....stone wares away and doesn't heat your tool up...then there's a green belt for a belt sander that's made for metal too...same thing 120 grit.....been using these for years..and I've done a lot of spinning...plugs to chair legs an everything in between.

42 mins ago, capesams said:

Pink stone for the grinder...120 grit....no sparks....stone wares away and doesn't heat your tool up...then there's a green belt for a belt sander that's made for metal too...same thing 120 grit.....been using these for years..and I've done a lot of spinning...plugs to chair legs an everything in between.

thanks for the info I have the white not sure the grit probably to aggressive I will give the pink a try

this is a chisel a reshaped from round nose scraper basically like sorby spindle master its versatile good for bead and cove leaves a smooth finish that needs no sanding I use it on my Polaris popper for the cove behind head also rounding off back of plug

20180924_182115.jpg

The best grinding wheels are the CBN wheels.

But, they are $150 a pop.

I use the something like this:

This guy sells his jigs, and tools.

They are pricey, but quality...there are cheaper knock offs out there.