Shane_O

Pro-Cure and Other Bunker Gels, do they Work?

29 posts in this topic

So, I was bottom fishing with some guys on Sunday and noticed one guy squirting something on his sinker every drop. He said it was some sort of bunker based gel.

Has anybody used similar products before on soft baits, buck tails, etc? Even as a gel, I’d imagine that it would only leave a scent trail for a few seconds of a retrieve. I’ve seen plenty of similar products but it seems pretty gimmicky, especially if you’re already fishing bait.

The guy didn’t seem to be catching any better then anyone else. However that might not be a fair assessment since using fresh bait more frequently between drops seems to be the key to getting hits every time.

What I have been doing is taking old Bunker and grinding them up in a food processor adding a cup of olive oil and about a cup of kosher salt..  I use this concoction on all my lures and  baits... Now that I am still Fluke fishing I push this into my tube baits that are attached to jig heads and find it to be very productive catching everything....The older it gets the better it works, but also there is an odor ...

1 min ago, sytheteacher said:

What I have been doing is taking old Bunker and grinding them up in a food processor adding a cup of olive oil and about a cup of kosher salt..  I use this concoction on all my lures and  baits... Now that I am still Fluke fishing I push this into my tube baits that are attached to jig heads and find it to be very productive catching everything....The older it gets the better it works, but also there is an odor ...

Haha really? If you’re not just pulling my leg I might just try that. I’ve got a bunch of unused bait that I was otherwise going to make a chum slick with at a breachway with outgoing flow. I’m sure the odor gets nasty.

It's a good question... I've never tried any attractants other than real bunker oil a few times and never noticed if it was more or less effective than fishing without using it.... but.... have you ever read the guarantee on a bottle of pro-cure? I did only recently and it made me curious.. it says, "If for any reason you are unhappy with the performance of a PRO-CURE product, simply return it directly to PRO-CURE with your sales receipt. You'll be promptly reimbursed your purchase price plus reasonable return postage. If you've lost your receipt, we'll refund the current advertised price."

that's a pretty serious guarantee.. they are even offering return shipping costs.. not that it's a lot of money but a guarantee like that made me think that maybe theres something to it.. so I bought some. Lol.  And it's been sitting, unused, amongst my gear for about a month now.   Sooner or later I'm gonna have to try it out..

Then I consider gulp.. is fishing a gulp grub more effective than fishing a no-name plain soft grub? Yes 150% ... theres really not even a dispute here, gulp out fishes unscented/flavored soft plastics 10:1 and that's why we waste so much money on baits that fall apart in minutes sometimes... you can drop a gulp down and let it sit without any movement/action at all and it will still garner the attention of nearby fish.. has to be something to it.. 

Very interested to see if anyone else has tested these "attractants"

9 mins ago, Shane_O said:

Haha really? If you’re not just pulling my leg I might just try that. I’ve got a bunch of unused bait that I was otherwise going to make a chum slick with at a breachway with outgoing flow. I’m sure the odor gets nasty.

I'm not pulling your. leg... Try it ... Like you said "chum"...

I shore fish for snook in Florida and I find that Pro Cure (Inshore Scent) can sometimes be the "difference that makes the difference". Based on my log, I am often more productive when using Pro Cure on jig heads with paddle tails (my go-to confidence lure) and hard baits.

It seems to make most difference in calmer, flat, water when you fish your lure very slowly. I notice less difference in a strong current. 

I find that the procure can also increase the by-catch rate. More sharks and catfish.

The downside is that you can't get it off your hands without a lot of soap and it will permanently stain clothing. If anybody has a better way to apply this stuff to lures without getting it all over your hands, I would love to hear it. 

5 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I'm not pulling your. leg... Try it ... Like you said "chum"...

I didn’t mean any disrespect, I’ll definitely give it a shot. Scent definitely helps, otherwise why would fresh bait be more effective? That’s a great idea packing it into tube tails, I would imagine that the retention would be better than a gel that you just smear on a jig or plug.

Posted (edited)

Pro-cure is highly popular with west coast trout anglers. Everyone was seemingly using it. 

When I came east I stopped using pro-cure and catch as many trout as back west. I don't see a difference. 

I did buy a tube of Mustad Activate that seemed to me to work really well. I don't think it's available anymore though.

What really seemed to matter is dialing in the right presentation for the moment. Sometimes they want spoons. Sometimes they want it under a float. At others they're hugging the bottom. 

I suspect the same is for stripers and whatnot.

The bait shop guys told me that the big jugs of bunker oil are used by boat anglers to create a chum slick.

An alternative to pro-cure is salmon oil or fish oil pills (some contain anchovy and mackerel). Cheap when on sale! That's what I use IF I use it at all, which is rare.

Edited by TroutGhost

I would use stuff sporadically, back in the day when I smoked cigarettes. more to cover than anything else....noticed absolutely zero difference. 

On 9/18/2018 at 3:12 PM, FatTailWagging said:

The downside is that you can't get it off your hands without a lot of soap and it will permanently stain clothing. If anybody has a better way to apply this stuff to lures without getting it all over your hands, I would love to hear it. 

No joke. I like using procure, but dang you can't get it out or off.

Watch CA Richardson on flats class use pro cure; that's how you know he's a pro. I've caught a decent fish or two, but never been able to put procure on without coming away with some of it on me.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:43 PM, sytheteacher said:

Extra virgin olive oil? organic? Please let us know

Smelly Jelly...it makes a difference for striped bass when fishing rubber/plastic, no question about it. Done plenty of testing over the years...the stuff makes a difference. It doesn't just cover up human smells and chemical-rubber-plastic-rust smells...it adds a shiny sheen to the rubber/plastic. Been using it for 20 or so years...it stays on your lure and it definitely makes a difference.

TimS

Posted (edited)

As a very recent junk science study I performed this season.

I fished side by side with someone who only throws keitechs and literally nothing else.

He outfished me in numbers by quite a bit.  On consecutive trips.

I ordered a few different scents as an experiment. 

(as I refused to spend 7$ on what is essentially a scented grub)

And settled on the pro cure squid as a kietech match....and the playing field was leveled immediately.  Regardless of bait.

But the big fish bite didn't seem to increase.  Just seemed to attract more numbers.  

It was very obvious.

https://amzn.to/2QGdrot

Edited by scoobydoo

Haven't used it much in the past. Last time my brother put some smelly jelly on his BT was lost to a huge cownose. I've got a thing of the pro cure mullet gel on my desk. I would really like to smear it on the managers door handle.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Smelly Jelly...it makes a difference for striped bass when fishing rubber/plastic, no question about it. Done plenty of testing over the years...the stuff makes a difference. It doesn't just cover up human smells and chemical-rubber-plastic-rust smells...it adds a shiny sheen to the rubber/plastic. Been using it for 20 or so years...it stays on your lure and it definitely makes a difference.

TimS

Dang you, TimS!

Here I was thinking that I had pretty much all of the "stuff" that I needed, and here comes Smelly Jelly.

Looking at the many options, which style (Pro Guide, Sticky Liquid, Glitter, etc.) do you recommend for Cape Cod stripers?