Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

On 10/28/2018 at 10:56 AM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Last fall I had my best salmon year ever. I averaged around 3 a trip. Decent sized too and I caught them in the main rez and the tribs with equal success. Lakers were everywhere last fall I even watched a guy catch one up the Stillwater as far up as the sterling airport.

I'm starting to think there's a laker "problem", as in too many of them. To the point that they are impacting other species in competition for forage. Can't prove it of course, but they seem almost as numerous as YP in the rez.

Pfantum Pfishah

Last night there was a school of (unmolested) baitfish in front of me beyond casting distance for an hour....probably smelt.   Most of the people I ask over the recent years say there's always some smelt in their bellies, along w/ YP even small kivers (or empty).

Some say lakers like YP better than smelt because their easier to catch....I don't know?

I believe that YP & smelt have natural cycles of lean & abundant spawning success.

(kind of like the coming moon spots cycle that is going to make it very cold in the North East the next 20+ yrs)

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

5 hours ago, bdowning said:

I'm starting to think there's a laker "problem", as in too many of them. To the point that they are impacting other species in competition for forage. Can't prove it of course, but they seem almost as numerous as YP in the rez.

Lol, if that’s true then I should hang up the rods and take up knitting. :laugh:

1 hour ago, SkunkLuvver said:

I’ve managed some lakers out of there but have never “slammed em” and usually walk away skunked.. (and then spend the hour and fifteen minute drive home thinking about it)

pretty decent learning curve that place. She’s lucky she’s pretty :howdy:

I'm fortunate to live less than 10 minutes away. Being there constantly is the only way to learn her secrets.

why are the lakers so small, to many? not enough food?  i find myself fishing less and less up there cuz of them. also its 1hr 30 min drive, i dont want to get skunked 9 out of 10 times especially going for different fish, like salmon and trout. if  they were bigger  i would definitely  spend more time up there. 

3 hours ago, aglenn said:

Also if there any such thing known as a problem when it comes to fish populations?? 

Not in nature. 

Wachusett, lake trout, smelt, none of that is natural. 

Lakers can and do overpopulate and over tax their food supply. 

I don't believe YP and other natural forage supply enough nutrition to grow big lakers.

They seem to do best where highly numerous schooling forage like alewives or smelt exist. 

If something happens to the smelt in the res, the lakers probably suffer most.

I've been wondering if the crazy high artificial water level of a few years ago hurt the smelt somehow.

There's no fish in the canal....I mean resy.   Don't bother coming here.  And don't stand on my rock....I mean spot.

If anyone finds my rusty old needle nose pliers w/ the yellow handle @ Wachusett I would like them back?

No, I do not use them to unhook the fish there, there are no fish at the resy!

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

i caught a salmon in the trib last week and banked it without a net and then it flopped in before i could get a pic :banghd:.... that was right after it rained... is it better to fish after rain where there is more flow and the water is dark  or when the water is clear? also I've never caught a laker (or fished for them). besides using a perch color kastmaster where should i fish

9 mins ago, fishingandrew said:

i caught a salmon in the trib last week and banked it without a net and then it flopped in before i could get a pic :banghd:.... that was right after it rained... is it better to fish after rain where there is more flow and the water is dark  or when the water is clear? also I've never caught a laker (or fished for them). besides using a perch color kastmaster where should i fish

Id like to know the answer to this as well...

What did you catch it on?