yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

308 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

No matter how hard I try I never catch any Lakers on lures. Only salmon on lures. All my Lakers come on bait.

wow wish i had that problem, im the exact opposite 

I squeezed in a 3 hour outing Sunday after the a.m. rain. I also had to deal with the gusty NW wind.

I got two lakers, the biggest one was 22"-23".

The fall foliage is starting to peak in central MA.

20181021_163013.jpg.e2f673ffbf28f7d587bcfddfd7db42b8.jpg

20181021_163739.jpg.ba36e37a7f8b1a82a7785694b6db2e38.jpg

It's on.   Got a nice laker maybe 25-26" yesterday....sort of big head thin body.   It was very lethargic, with it's mouth open most of the time (maybe lure), looked like a tiger musky in the water.  lol    The kind of fish you pick up by the tail first then body to release.

Got it on a new 1/2oz. lipless glide bait in a baby bass/YP type pattern....what a great lure, it wobbles horizontally while sinking, glides left & right when jigged, & waves back & forth in a swimming motion on retrieve, slight rattle....& casts like a bullet.  First time out.

I try a lot of odd (for Wachusett) stuff, looking for something larger fish my strike.

11 mins ago, bb1 said:

It's on.   Got a nice laker maybe 25-26" yesterday....sort of big head thin body.   It was very lethargic, with it's mouth open most of the time (maybe lure), looked like a tiger musky in the water.  lol    The kind of fish you pick up by the tail first then body to release.

Got it on a new 1/2oz. lipless glide bait in a baby bass/YP type pattern....what a great lure, it wobbles horizontally while sinking, glides left & right when jigged, & waves back & forth in a swimming motion on retrieve, slight rattle....& casts like a bullet.  First time out.

I try a lot of odd (for Wachusett) stuff, looking for something larger fish my strike.

All of the Lakers I have seen are big in the head and skinny. Not enough smelt. I used to cut open Lakers 6 years ago and they would burst with smelt now I have cut open around 30 in the last couple of years and haven't seen one smelt in their stomach. Then I did some research and found out the DNR killed off most of the smelt when a algae bloom happened one summer and they had to treat it with something and the acidity from that killed off all the brook spawning smelt.

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Then I did some research and found out the DNR killed off most of the smelt when a algae bloom happened one summer and they had to treat it with something and the acidity from that killed off all the brook spawning smelt.

There's an old story of the DCR killing off the river spawning smelt and replacing them with lake spawning smelt because the original ones were clogging up the reservoir outflows.

Was there a die off during the summer of 2017?

In 2016 I saw a lot of smelt in the fall. I even ran into a laker blitz where I caught over a dozen lakers that had smelt balled up. The fish were coughing up smelt.

20161127_001909.jpg.4b5f520426b1c2947fc262b51acbec6b.jpg

Last year, 2017, I didn see any smelt in the fall. And the fish I caught weren't coughing up smelt. 

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

There's an old story of the DCR killing off the river spawning smelt and replacing them with lake spawning smelt because the original ones were clogging up the reservoir outflows.

In 2016 I saw a lot of smelt in the fall. I even ran into a laker blitz where I caught over a dozen lakers that had smelt balled up. The fish were coughing up smelt.

Last year, 2017, I didn see any smelt in the fall. And the fish I caught weren't coughing up smelt. 

Seems a little hard to replace one species with another wouldnt you think. I think there is something fishy going on with the dcr and this matter. 

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Fishermen have been dumping in smelt from other bodies of water, forever.

What water bodies. Unless they are trucking them in from Maine or new Hampshire that's pretty hard to do in this day.

There used to be smelt all over the area....used for bait, & dump in what ever was left.

Quinsig had so many smelt that the state put tiger musky in to clean them out.

And yes guys from ME & NH would bring some too.

20 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I dunno abt the dcr killing the river smelt but i also saw more smelt in the fall of 2016 than ive seen in long time. Like zak said, saw numerous blitzes very close to shore and mostly salmon in my case.

Last fall? Didnt see one smelt or blitz. And it was a fall of mostly lakers, not many salmon for me.

We had loons driving smelt into the rocks in May '16.

We kept a salmon and 2 lakers, all with smelt inside. 

Didn't fish last couple so no comparison. 

The smelt are fragile. 

After being numerous at Walden in the 70s and 80s they had a big die off around '88. Big wind rows of dead smelt lined the shore in late summer. Don't think they ever recovered. 

I think the "government killed the smelt" story started when stream spawning smelt clogged the intake screens at Quabbin. They may have poisoned them out, then replaced them with a lake spawning strain.

But that was a long time ago. Wouldn't matter between '16 to now.

BTW I learned that here from a link in a similar thread in the past.

Never thought about loons chasing smelt to the shore....but a few years ago I saw rocky points w/ smelt beached, 100's of them.

You can get frozen smelt for bait....big lakers like to suck them off the bottom, or put them on a float.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

I dunno abt the dcr killing the river smelt but i also saw more smelt in the fall of 2016 than ive seen in long time. Like zak said, saw numerous blitzes very close to shore and mostly salmon in my case.

Last fall? Didnt see one smelt or blitz. And it was a fall of mostly lakers, not many salmon for me.

Last fall I had my best salmon year ever. I averaged around 3 a trip. Decent sized too and I caught them in the main rez and the tribs with equal success. Lakers were everywhere last fall I even watched a guy catch one up the Stillwater as far up as the sterling airport.

Got another laker last night w/ my new 3 1/4" hard plastic YP lipless lure.  Even when it touches bottom it usually sits on it's belly like real fish do (not lay in it's side)!  

Everyone in my area caught lakers.  :)