yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

448 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Monday night into Tuesday morning's rain brought the water up even more. I was out there Wed & Thu morning. The spot I started at on Wed morning had even less shoreline on Thu morning.

The local news said that November's total rainfall was 10" over normal. The rainfall for all of the fall was equally, or more, higher than normal. Crazy amounts of rain we've had. Every Chu old timer I spoke to over the last week said they've never seen the water so high, ever.

If the season went into December the only possible place to fish would be from the sidewalk on the causeway :laugh:

10 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

If the season went into December the only possible place to fish would be from the sidewalk on the causeway :laugh:

Especially with yet another significant rain storm coming this weekend.

I was seeing Y sticks stuck in the ground up in the trees at a couple of spots yesterday .

I'm pretty sure all the salmon got washed over the dam. This is the first closing week since I've been fishing the Chu that salmon weren't jumping all over the rez at first light or dusk. Really odd. :)

Edited by zak-striper

40 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Lol I never saw that beach underwater. Only place I could think of is the powerlines. My season is over there 

The beach (not the sandy point) was completely underwater, right up to the banking & unpassable.   I was actually near the (small) path in the cove area casting!

I was at the powerlines/causeway area the 5 times before that....not much action there.

It's obvious the people in charge have no idea (what their doing) or how to read a weather forecast.  :0

Probably believe were all going to dehydrate from the global warming scam.

15 mins ago, bb1 said:

The beach (not the sandy point) was completely underwater, right up to the banking & unpassable.   I was actually near the (small) path in the cove area casting!

I have never caught a thing at the sandy point.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I have never caught a thing at the sandy point.

The sandy point used to be a hot spot 40yrs ago....people fighting over a place to fish there.

I think storms shifted the sand there?   Trout in spring & fall....bass in the summer.

The one or two times I've been at the point in the last 5 years it seemed very shallow and you needed long casts to get any kind of depth. The base of the point on either side seemed like better spots.or the adjacent coves.

Here's a question, years ago, 80s, water used to go over the spillway.

Back then you were allowed to ice fish that pond below the dam. Pretty sure 9/11 ended that.

We used to get big smallmouth and lots of average size rainbow mixed with all the usual suspects. 

Always thought salmon should be in there.

Anyone know if they ever reopened that?

If not maybe the salmon and trout will go over the lower dam too.

Landlocks in the Nashua would be cool.

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Here's a question, years ago, 80s, water used to go over the spillway.

Back then you were allowed to ice fish that pond below the dam. Pretty sure 9/11 ended that.

We used to get big smallmouth and lots of average size rainbow mixed with all the usual suspects. 

Always thought salmon should be in there.

Anyone know if they ever reopened that?

If not maybe the salmon and trout will go over the lower dam too.

Landlocks in the Nashua would be cool.

Shhhhhhhh:laugh:

22 hours ago, bdowning said:

The one or two times I've been at the point in the last 5 years it seemed very shallow and you needed long casts to get any kind of depth. The base of the point on either side seemed like better spots.or the adjacent coves.

I think it was a little deeper years ago....the east side & point were the most coveted.   But look at 36, it's shallow there & they do ok.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

I think it was a little deeper years ago....the east side & point were the most coveted.   But look at 36, it's shallow there & they do ok.

Shallow or deep doesnt affect my decision on where to go until end of may into june