yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

My doctor claims this was not as bad a tick season overall as last year at least based on cases shes seeing. I think i picked one tick off me all year and im usually the poster child for tick bites.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I stopped by a couple times earlier in Sept. & late Aug.   The water was much lower than spring, about normal.  I guess the rain lately made it rise again?

I was just testing some new gear & some lures  :)   Got a new Albie reel.

I wasn't expecting to catch anything & I didn't.   I usually wait until after election day but this year I may start early?

I would be a little more autonomous when complaining about minor infractions of rules....we don't need extensive supervision by the state now do we?   Where not children.

Edited by bb1

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

No matter how hard I try I never catch any Lakers on lures. 

Seriously?

I feel like I can throw a bare hook and catch lakers there. The rez is overrun with rat lakers. Gold, blue/silver or firetiger metals catch lakers all day long there. I'm actually getting sick of catching lakers at the Chu. The last couple of years I'm focusing more on salmon, 'bows and smallies.

I was there a couple of Sundays ago and caught two nice lakers on a Kastmaster, post #21 in this thread. Last Sunday I was there using shiners and casting metals and got nothing on bait but got a laker on Kastmaster.

Lakers and salmon are different. Lakers are bottom feeders. I bounce metals on the bottom all the way in or bounce them at the beginning of my retrieve, then reel them straight in.  I work the top half of the water column for salmon, especially in the spring or end of the season.

Edited by zak-striper

54 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Seriously?

I feel like I can throw a bare hook and catch lakers there. The rez is overrun with rat lakers. Gold, blue/silver or firetiger metals catch lakers all day long there. I'm actually getting sick of catching lakers at the Chu. The last couple of years I'm focusing more on salmon, 'bows and smallies.

I was there a couple of Sundays ago and caught two nice lakers on a Kastmaster, post #21 in this thread. Last Sunday I was there using shiners and casting metals and got nothing on bait but got a laker on Kastmaster.

Lakers and salmon are different. Lakers are bottom feeders. I bounce metals on the bottom all the way in or bounce them at the beginning of my retrieve, then reel them straight in.  I work the top half of the water column for salmon, especially in the spring or end of the season.

I jig the bottom, I swim it along the bottom; I crawl it along the bottom, I burn it and pause it sometimes but I never get any. I have actually had guys come and cast next to me and pick up a couple while I have been throwing metals for 2 hours without a sniff. It's just my luck lol. I can only seem to catch salmon when I throw metals.

3 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t fish there but I bet that a ned rig would work great on the smallmouth and lakers. Probably big white perch too. 

The Gitzit used to work down there.    Are the ned lead?

But that light stuff doesn't cast very well.

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I jig the bottom, I swim it along the bottom; I crawl it along the bottom, I burn it and pause it sometimes but I never get any. I have actually had guys come and cast next to me and pick up a couple while I have been throwing metals for 2 hours without a sniff. It's just my luck lol. I can only seem to catch salmon when I throw metals.

Do you fish the same spot or do you move around? Are you fishing sunrise or sunset or mid-day? I fish all three sides, 110, 140 and 70. I've caught lakers on metal on all three sides of the rez. My best results are usually the first two hours or the last two hours of daylight.

8 hours ago, bb1 said:

The Gitzit used to work down there.    Are the ned lead?

But that light stuff doesn't cast very well.

A few companies make lead free ned style mushroom jig heads. The bait is small so it casts pretty well and sinks fast. 

8 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

80-90% of the time i catch lakers on metals and cant think of anywhere on the resy whr i havent caught at least one. Have to work harder for salmon and pay more attention to location and depth im working. Some falls for salmon are better for me than others. If i can find smelt really close to shore that helps a lot. Last fall it was virtually all lakers for me. 2-3 falls ago the salmon were practically beaching the smelt in certain areas. Looked like bass or blues corralling rain bait lol.

Rarely catch bows where i fish but i dont fish the prime areas for bows that much. May change that this fall.

I dont use bait at all btw.

9 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Do you fish the same spot or do you move around? Are you fishing sunrise or sunset or mid-day? I fish all three sides, 110, 140 and 70. I've caught lakers on metal on all three sides of the rez. My best results are usually the first two hours or the last two hours of daylight.

Done all of this. Even my buddies cant seem to understand. I'm cursed on hardware. May try a 140 spot of mine next week. 

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

80-90% of the time i catch lakers on metals and cant think of anywhere on the resy whr i havent caught at least one. Have to work harder for salmon and pay more attention to location and depth im working. Some falls for salmon are better for me than others. If i can find smelt really close to shore that helps a lot. Last fall it was virtually all lakers for me. 2-3 falls ago the salmon were practically beaching the smelt in certain areas. Looked like bass or blues corralling rain bait lol.

Rarely catch bows where i fish but i dont fish the prime areas for bows that much. May change that this fall.

I dont use bait at all btw.

Bunch of salmon the last 2 falls in the main rez where I fish. Nothing to write home about maybe 19in was the biggest. The big girls all go into the tribs usually.

I think I caught more salmon than lakers last spring....fishing for lakers!   The last one was on a (salt water) 1oz. spoon!

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Done all of this. Even my buddies cant seem to understand.

For what it's worth, I like blue/silver on bright, sunny days. Gold on cloudy days or low light early or late in the day and firetiger during the last hour or two of daylight or before the sun comes over the trees.

Of course, if these patterns aren't working, throw 'em all until something works.  :)