yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

I just called the 3800 number and officer Becky picked up in two rings!!  She thanked us for our concern and stewardship and confirmed those were the best numbers to use.  :howdy:

I called before about the opening dates and I have reached a person. Forgot the number. I see the wardens there all the time and I'll ask them for their specific number next time I see them

On 9/29/2018 at 9:26 PM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Already started if you know where to look. Got 2 thursday.

thank you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I stopped by the Chu over the weekend to enjoy a little time on the trails & water during the great weather.

I tried for lakers, salmon, 'bows and smallies during the last 3 hours of daylight. 

I got two nice lakers, 23" and a 24", for my efforts. They looked healthy. They must have been eating well this summer.

20180930_165201.jpg.b8ee5b9afa34b025389cd6d2fc8eb242.jpg

20180930_165402.jpg.1710dfc5345dfaa8750183aec8acea7f.jpg

20180930_171950.jpg.e4dee50ccd008c096f8e30f5b19dcf08.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I stopped by the Chu over the weekend to enjoy a little time on the trails & water during the great weather.

I tried for lakers, salmon, 'bows and smallies during the last 3 hours of daylight. 

I got two nice lakers, 23" and a 24", for my efforts. They looked healthy. They must have been eating well this summer.

20180930_165201.jpg.b8ee5b9afa34b025389cd6d2fc8eb242.jpg

20180930_165402.jpg.1710dfc5345dfaa8750183aec8acea7f.jpg

20180930_171950.jpg.e4dee50ccd008c096f8e30f5b19dcf08.jpg

Those are a couple of nice Lakers. Haven't thought of trying for Lakers yet. Maybe I'll dunk some bait later this week. 

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Haven't thought of trying for Lakers yet. Maybe I'll dunk some bait later this week. 

You can catch lakers every month of the season along the many drop offs to deeper water. During the hotter months they'll come up the drop offs around sunrise and sunset.

I was actually hoping to get some smallies, 'bows or salmon, rather than the lakers. I was alternating between working the bottom and higher up in the water column. The lakers came on the bottom, near the end of my casts.

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

You can catch lakers every month of the season along the many drop offs to deeper water. During the hotter months they'll come up the drop offs around sunrise and sunset.

I was actually hoping to get some smallies, 'bows or salmon, rather than the lakers. I was alternating between working the bottom and higher up in the water column. The lakers came on the bottom, near the end of my casts.

I have a few deep water spots I like to fush in the warmer months. I just find myself always chasing other things than Lakers. Once I get my fix of salmon and bows I'll probably switch over to Lakers around the beginning of November. 

Cold October rains should be driving them breeders into the river fronts and also pushing the bigger Lakers in closer to shore :)

I think I’ll try BobG’s Suggestion and send some sucker chunks down deep this year :rav:

57 mins ago, TBYRD said:

Cold October rains should be driving them breeders into the river fronts

I've already been seeing pictures of salmon in the river for a couple of weeks. The males have their spawning kype.

The rain and the cooler temperatures should have the spawn over at the normal time.

Last year I was seeing male salmon that still had their spawning kype during the last week of November

30 mins ago, woma said:

What was the tick situation like this year? 

I picked up a handful in the spring when ever I went off trail and did a little bushwacking. The best way to avoid ticks up there is to stay on the trails as much as possible. The water is currently on the high side of normal so some narrow stretches of shoreline have water right up to the trees or bushes.