yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

265 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, aglenn said:

Alot of people get caught up with distance at the Chu - I'll say, I've caught more rats casting lures, metals and shiners out deep than big lakers.  Almost every single 5+ pound laker i've caught at the chu has been relatively close to shore.  The other downside to throwing big jigs and things IMO is the bait you're presenting is too big.  I've done much better on smaller shiners and smaller metals/lures than I have on big ones.

Also - water level was pretty ridiculous this morning, worse than it is in the spring usually.  It's a shame that it'll probably only go up from here for the remainder of the season.

Agree about casting distance, but a disclaimer for me is I only fish in April and November when fish are most likely to be taken closest to shore. Yes, the water level has been...challenging. My favorite spots aren't in jeopardy yet...as long it doesn't get much higher. :eek:

28 mins ago, aglenn said:

speaking of water levels... saw someone out there in waders saturday morning...

I saw that on opening day once too. Guy got ripped our by dcr.

I was out there today from 2:30 p.m. till dark. Water level is almost as high as it was in the spring of 2017. Lots of Shoreline is being squeezed out by the rising water which might explain the crowds where I was today. I got one Laker on a Shiner and some hits on kastmasters

Edited by zak-striper

27 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I saw that on opening day once too. Guy got ripped our by dcr.

I'm waiting for the day someone puts in a boat. :shaky:

Posted (edited)

48 mins ago, bdowning said:

Kayak or rod? :cool: Powerline area should work. :shaky:

12 ft rod. Was thinking of there. Maybe I'll take a walk out to the rook or tahanto point as well

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

21 hours ago, fishingandrew said:

do deadly dicks or epoxy jigs work?

back when i was just starting at the chu, deadly dicks were my favorite, caught alot of  lakers that fall