yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

353 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I think they have a special permit for seniors or disabled persons where they will open certain gates for them and allow them to drive down. Idk which gates these are but I heard you just call them up in advance and they will open it for you. Seems like something worth checking out. Would be amazing to drive to the narrows or the rook.

I think what you are referring to are the visiting privelages to one homestead that was lost in the creation of the resevoirs

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I think they have a special permit for seniors or disabled persons where they will open certain gates for them and allow them to drive down.

I had a friend that had a gate opened for him to go fishing years ago....but I think they stopped doing that?

There are a few spots like 25 & 35 that I no longer fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

Just curious.  Has anyone had luck using sp minnows at the chu?

Haven't thought of it. I started using 2 and 3oz savages and sluggos on jigheads I already catch very little on normal sized spoons as it is so I might as well chuck something big looking for a big bite.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

42 mins ago, bb1 said:

I had a friend that had a gate opened for him to go fishing years ago....but I think they stopped doing that?

There are a few spots like 25 & 35 that I no longer fish.

35 is a haul. Took me 40 minutes carrying a bait bucket

12 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Haven't thought of it. I started using 2 and 3oz savages and sluggos on jigheads I already catch very little on normal sized spoons as it is so I might as well chuck something big looking for a big bite.

Ive thought of throwing a big jig with my surf rod at the narrows, still havent tried it yet though

17 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I started using 2 and 3oz savages and sluggos on jigheads

Some 1oz.  I use, the top one is luminous.  :)

DSCF7155.JPG

6 mins ago, yemista said:

Ive thought of throwing a big jig with my surf rod at the narrows, still havent tried it yet though

Been bringing the 12ft tiralejo with a vs250. Cast a mile with 20lb power pro

14 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Crystal minnows?

Nope....& I'm trying to get rights to sell them in the US.   :) 

And have them specially made w/ in line single hooks,  and a 'flag' on the tail.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, bob_G said:

Just curious.  Has anyone had luck using sp minnows at the chu?

I've caught lakers and rainbows with the liveTarget rainbow smelt (pic), x-raps, and sebile magic swimmers in the smallest size. Lucky Craft pointers, which are like an sp minnow, also do well up there. I'd have to imagine an SP minnow would work, especially the 5 1/8" smaller size.

smelt.jpg.1236e0721e8f6924dad41692d531f012.jpg

17 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I started using 2 and 3oz savages and sluggos on jigheads 

I carry the 1oz in real pearl (white), blue/silver and chartruese. The only thing I've caught on the Savages so far was a smallie around 3 - 3.5 lbs.

17 hours ago, yemista said:

Ive thought of throwing a big jig with my surf rod at the narrows

I did run into a guy about 3 years ago who had his canal rod with him. I think it was during the end of the year. You really don't need to cast that far in April/May or November. The colder water temps have the fish in close enough to reach with freshwater gear.

Edited by zak-striper

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

35 is a haul. Took me 40 minutes carrying a bait bucket

I haven't fished shiners there for a few years, but when I had planned to take a long walk into one of the more remote spots I'd carry fresh killed shiners in a small dry container in my pack.  Floating the fresh dead shiners off of the bottom worked just as good as live shiners.  Lakers have no problem scavenging.