yemista

Chu 2018: Fall edition

Rate this topic

448 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Dah seee said:

Can anyone recommend a rod for the chu in the 8' - 8.5" foot range that can cast and jig 3/4-1oz spoons comfortably? Most rods I find in that range are way too heavy and stiff for my liking and borderline saltwater use. Need to be able to feel the pull of a fighting laker.

Check the salmon steelhead rod thread it covers this.

24 mins ago, Dah seee said:

Can anyone recommend a rod for the chu in the 8' - 8.5" foot range that can cast and jig 3/4-1oz spoons comfortably? Most rods I find in that range are way too heavy and stiff for my liking and borderline saltwater use. Need to be able to feel the pull of a fighting laker.

That would be the Loomis STR1025, I use one.   There expensive but have the advantage of being a 'fast' action, good for chucking spoons, while not entirely being too heavy an action to enjoy yourself.

Nice for King Salmon too.  :)

40 mins ago, Dah seee said:

St croix inshore mojo...... or if your looking for something really cheap look at Shakespeare rods

6 mins ago, fishingandrew said:

St croix inshore mojo...... or if your looking for something really cheap look at Shakespeare rods

I caught my only laker on a mojo inshore and the rod is way too stiff. It's really a salt water rod

I use an 8 1/2' St Croix Salmon/Steelhead Avid (rated 8-17 lb test, 1 oz - but throws up to about an ounce and half with no issues), which I bought for bonito/albies....but I bought too late in the season last year for the saltwater application and basically broke it in on the chu...and it functioned surprisingly well throwing kastmasters at lakers...incidentally, it also cut its teeth on the hardtails this year too and worked out just as I had hoped...I'll probably use it for the remaining portion of this season at the chu

Edited by albacized

I have found that the St.Croix inshore & some salmon/steelhead rods have short handles & don't balance properly (nose heavy).

I have a Fenwick & a Loomis....they both hit the 'sweet' spot well.

20 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Cabelas 8 1/2ft medium action fish eagle salmkn steelhead rod. Handles up to 1oz spoons no problem and costs 70$ retail. Feels a lot like my st croix for 1/3 the cost

I almost pulled the trigger on that rod many times over a period of YEARS, but never did.   Haven't even checked to see if the local Cabela's has them.

I would really like a baitcaster version.   I may sell one of my other rods & go back to a baitcaster for Wachusett (& Quabin).

I used steelhead baitcasters for 20 yrs there!

14 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

70 has not been nice to me the last couple of weeks. 140 has been pretty generous though.

But I caught my biggest so far on 70.   :)   The water is getting higher & higher....many places your stuck in a small area now (or another long walk).