MorningWood

Russ Andersen - Art of Lure

142 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Odin said:

40313598_1830242350404139_2512649644475940864_n.jpg

Very cool definitely in a class of their own. Hope your future takes a turn for the better. Good luck and be well. 

On 8/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, Odin said:

Hi Mark.  First, thank you very much for the kind words. Please just call me Russ...

The plug you are referring to is called a "Pop Dart."  You use it in a similar fashion to your pencil with a "walk the dog" motion. But you bounce your rod tip very slightly three or four times.. stop bouncing for a crank or two.. And then bounce it three or four times again.

Repeat this process of bouncing a few times, followed by a crank of the reel handle bringing the lure straight in with no bounce. The idea is to try to mimic the splash of a peanut bunker every few feet, as you bring the lure in. That is your goal.

Think in your mind what a bunker splash looks like when they splash quick on the surface and then quickly disappear. That is what you are going for when retrieving...

My suggestion is to practice it on flat water first until you get the hang of it and then once you have the feel locked into muscle memory you'll be set in other water.

Who is you Uncle, Mark??? Would that be my good buddy for many years, Ritchie? I think he told me he sent a few plugs to his nephew in CT a while back. One heck of a fisherman and a local regular and legend if it is fact him.

Russ thanks for the tutorial, plug worked exactly like you said it would. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:30 AM, Odin said:

A smaller grouping of the approximately 25 different shapes, styles and sizes of "fishers" used by the locals.

First photo of lure just painted and ready for finish.  Others finished and assembled waiting for hooks

SO3.jpg

S02.jpg

Hi Russ - I'm born and raised in Rockaway and grew up fishing Jamaica Bay in Breezy by my grandmother's house.  I was doing some research on fishing the rocks at the Breezy tip here when I came across your thread and wound up reading all of this content. I just wanted to let you know how amazing your work is, and how sorry I am to hear about your recent health issues.  The military and 9/11 memorials were the most amazing work I've ever seen (and crafted with style like a true peninsula angler).  *  Please let me know and stay strong!

Edited by TimS
We don't allow soliciting, buying or selling in this forum.

This plug was posted publicly today for the first time since it was created about a season and a half ago. It was put together for Morningwood --the gentleman who graciously started this thread-- and his family. So I thought it would be appropriate to also place it here. Thank you Kev for your friendship, encouragement and support over these past few years.

ForMaryLouiseRight.jpg

ForMaryLouiseLeft.jpg

Edited by Odin

I turned on the lights in the shop a little over a week ago after almost almost two seasons. I did so in an attempt to focus as best I could through the stuff going on in my head moment and put together this lure. Like Morningwood has done here, the individual I was attempting to build for has shown me great support, encouragement and friendship over the past few years...

Fellow plug builder, Paul Hancock also known as "Ace," of Ace Lures.

A few years back, Paul's beautiful " spider on spider web" theme plugs, where partially responsible for my transitioning over from just pure "fishers" that I had always built for the locals, into  more creative works.

The premise behind this lure's faded and worn artwork is derived partially from Paul's 18 years of service in the Army Reserves. Where he served at a rank of Captain. Combined with a personal life-circumstance that is not my place to publicly share.

With that said, Paul Hancock, friend and fellow builder, is a top-shelf kind of guy and an individual that has shown more positive supportive to me on a personal level over the past few years, than I can ever put into words.

PaulHancock2.jpg

PaulHancock.jpg

11 hours ago, Odin said:

I turned on the lights in the shop a little over a week ago after almost almost two seasons. I did so in an attempt to focus as best I could through the stuff going on in my head moment and put together this lure. Like Morningwood has done here, the individual I was attempting to build for has shown me great support, encouragement and friendship over the past few years...

Fellow plug builder, Paul Hancock also known as "Ace," of Ace Lures.

A few years back, Paul's beautiful " spider on spider web" theme plugs, where partially responsible for my transitioning over from just pure "fishers" that I had always built for the locals, into  more creative works.

The premise behind this lure's faded and worn artwork is derived partially from Paul's 18 years of service in the Army Reserves. Where he served at a rank of Captain. Combined with a personal life-circumstance that is not my place to publicly share.

With that said, Paul Hancock, friend and fellow builder, is a top-shelf kind of guy and an individual that has shown more positive supportive to me on a personal level over the past few years, than I can ever put into words.

PaulHancock2.jpg

PaulHancock.jpg

Wow. Awesome looking plug.  It looks just like Paulie and his wife.  Incredible artwork.   

On 9/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, Goldy said:

Wow. Awesome looking plug.  It looks just like Paulie and his wife.  Incredible artwork.   

Goldy, thanks. What a true class act  Mr. Paul Hancock is and someone that I consider a true and genuine friend. As well as the " beloved by all that are fortunate enough to have come across his path," Mr. Ron Muccie... And of course the legend that is Mr. Mike Fixter! Who is probably standing in his shop right now, sharpening up his chisels somewhere on the other side of the beach, as he prepares to freehand up another bunch of beauties... 

There really are some pretty top shelf, inspirational guys with decades of experience out there doing this stuff. Sitting in their shops and "throwing a little paint on a stick." 

I feel kind of honored to be around at a time where  we are all fortunate enough to be inspired by great people, and builders, such as these..

Russ, had the pleasure to meet you a few years back at the Fisherman’s BBQ at Tilden. Bought some of your stuff that day, Jim Hammer was flipping burgers.

Even though I fish just east of Breezy, l run the same circle with many of those guys and they are all awesome like your plugs.

My first “Anderson” was given to me by a local who needed a rod repaired (I did it for free) and it caught me a lot of fish.

Thanks, for the memories and keep building those plugs.

52 mins ago, LowEnd said:

Russ, had the pleasure to meet you a few years back at the Fisherman’s BBQ at Tilden. Bought some of your stuff that day, Jim Hammer was flipping burgers.

Even though I fish just east of Breezy, l run the same circle with many of those guys and they are all awesome like your plugs.

My first “Anderson” was given to me by a local who needed a rod repaired (I did it for free) and it caught me a lot of fish.

Thanks, for the memories and keep building those plugs.

Lowend "thank you" for taking the time to leave a note. Appreciated greatly. To a guy like me  that always did this stuff to simply hear about a guy like you catching a few and that a lure I made might have been partially responsible for a smile or two  along the way...

That's kind of about as good as it gets.

You also mentioned a key name of an incredible fisherman and very close friend. Jim Hammer AKA Transit Jim, along with buddies like Canarsie Jeff ,whom I have mentioned a few times along the way... It's fishing brothers like them that made this fishing thing so damn special for me over the years. Thanks again...

Edited by Odin

7 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Found that plug from long ago.

Lowend buddy, that is indeed an old one. An old Meade Classic, named after Bill Meade  one of the very early LIBBA members and one of the three or four people reasonable for getting Ft. Tilden open to fishing and Breezy Point Jetty to 4 wheel drives.

Someone very  important and special to me as well as others. The man that I built a very large run of a bunch of styles and sizes of plugs for recently  specifically to honor his memory and whom was often represented in my packaging. I used that rubber stamp with my name on a very few plugs in the late 90's and then a very small handful in and prior to 2007 I believe. I stopped putting a name  on any of my plugs and stamped only the metal lips with am A from 2007 on. Thanks Lowend. You made my day.

Edited by Odin

The guy that gave me that plug was named Mike. Never got his last name. He was tall and lanky. He was more of a snag and drop dude. He asked me to go to the “Dump” many times but it was not a nice place back then. Still isn’t.

I was fishing with Joe “Nodo”? in the Rockaway’s one day. We found big blues that had cornered bunker at one of the jetties in the high 90’s. They would not hit anything we threw as they killed the bunker. I put that plug on and had fish after fish!

Spoke to Transit Jim the other day, he should be coming back from FLA Friday.

Fished NJ, CT, RI, Block, M and all points in between with Tony A “Cheech”.

Have fished with Canarsie Jeff, Richie the boiler mechanic, Sundance and a few others I’m forgetting.
Kenny keeps the torch now with Tilden and Breezy. Hope someone will step up and fill his shoes.

When I first got invited to the fisherman’s breakfast I was the youngest guy in the room. Those days are long gone.

Shared many tides and bites with these guys and indirectly with you Russ. 

All you guys from the “other end” are first rate in my book. You all don’t get enough credit.
Thanks!

12 hours ago, LowEnd said:

The guy that gave me that plug was named Mike. Never got his last name. He was tall and lanky. He was more of a snag and drop dude. He asked me to go to the “Dump” many times but it was not a nice place back then. Still isn’t.

I was fishing with Joe “Nodo”? in the Rockaway’s one day. We found big blues that had cornered bunker at one of the jetties in the high 90’s. They would not hit anything we threw as they killed the bunker. I put that plug on and had fish after fish!

Spoke to Transit Jim the other day, he should be coming back from FLA Friday.

Fished NJ, CT, RI, Block, M and all points in between with Tony A “Cheech”.

Have fished with Canarsie Jeff, Richie the boiler mechanic, Sundance and a few others I’m forgetting.
Kenny keeps the torch now with Tilden and Breezy. Hope someone will step up and fill his shoes.

When I first got invited to the fisherman’s breakfast I was the youngest guy in the room. Those days are long gone.

Shared many tides and bites with these guys and indirectly with you Russ. 

All you guys from the “other end” are first rate in my book. You all don’t get enough credit.
Thanks!

Lowend buddy, going to throw up a reply simply because it is hard not to do so with the personalities mentioned. All of whom are top shelf fishermen and without a doubt, to a man, unique characters in their own right.

Tony "Cheech,"  a long running and reigning Jedi master. The local Yoda of bucktails! Known for his skill in that department from Breezy to Montauk and back again.

You know that If you see Cheech throw a plug on his line, best to duck. Because it just might just be a biblical sign of the impending Apocolypse! (laughing)

Richie! A burly, high energy, old guy, ( <-- had to do that) newer "regular" kid on the block that I have been fortunate enough to have gotten to know over the past few years. A favorite that can bust chops with the best of them. A genuinely great guy...Cracks me the hell up.

Canarsie Jeff and Noto... Some of the fishing history and stories of experiences shared with them, are simply put, surreal, comical, tragic, inspirational and as meaningful, as could ever be stated. Fishermen are known to exaggerate when telling a story about a great day. But the three of us over the years have been blessed to have shared more once in a lifetime, epic days, together on the water. than would ever  be believed. Without a hint of exaggeration needing to be added to the story.  A most treasured cash of fishing memories that no one could ever even put into words.

Well, except for Jeff... No one tells a story, or recalls every detail, like Canarsie Jeff. His name can't even be mentioned without a head shake and a smile. Best of the best that has been known on quite a few occassions, to use his two hundred dollar off the rack rod and reel setups, to point blank embarrass all others that fish around him.

Finally, I don't think that there are any worries about the torch being carried at Tilden and Breezy. Along with Ken, who has always been well known for being the showman and the most publicly vocal advocate, expressing his undying passion with relentless tenacity and table pounding, never backing away from a fight, there have always been and continue to be, a few others behind the scenes, devoting a great deal of time, effort, and countless hours of both bureaucratic and at times hard, physical work, in an effort to represent and look out for the the fishermen and their interests, as well as the Park as a whole. A notable one to come onto the scene in the past few years being Ed Rapp, Pres. of Gateway Striper Club. I think that he, his club's membership and others that continue to emerge going forward, will hopefully continue to carry the torch with the same determination as all of those that came before them.

Thanks again Lowend. Wishing you and all a great Fall!

20210916_072839[1].jpg

Edited by Odin