MorningWood

Russ Andersen - Art of Lure

142 posts in this topic

Russ, first off amazing work.  I have to ask, where did you come up with the idea of taking out small crescents out of the backs and belly’s of plugs?  It’s some thing I’ve never seen before.

- Tommy 

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Russ, first off amazing work.  I have to ask, where did you come up with the idea of taking out small crescents out of the backs and belly’s of plugs?  It’s some thing I’ve never seen before.

- Tommy 

Tommy, thanks much for the kind words. The answer to your question is in it's shortest form is, "trial and error."

The detailed answer is that a lot of time and experience over the years is involved while trying to find ways to make things do what you want them to do, along with developing your own style and way of doing things. Designing, building and creating plugs to fit your needs for specific water conditions, preferred action, casting ability / wind conditions, and such. As well as the never ending obsession of trying to improve on how things are done. It's the kind of fine tuning kind of  things that comes from long term trial and error and when you build more for your own personal daily fishing needs and success. As opposed to building for more commercial motivations.

Tommy as you know, when you spend most of your time at the water on a daily basis, endlessly on the hunt and traveling from spot to spot, the wide range of conditions you can find yourself fishing in varies greatly.   That need, along with the feedback and inspiration that comes from those buddies whose opinions you trust the most, inspires and makes a builder try new things.

And that is pretty much the story here...

There is a lifelong friend of mine, a local fishing legend, Jeff Brandes, that goes by the name of "Canarsie Jeff" in these parts. Canarsie Jeff is a walking surf fishing encyclopedia. He was a tackle collector (read as "hoarder") on a large scale going back to around the late 70's. Before surf-fishing tackle collecting was even a thing. Going back to the day when phones had cords, Jeff and I would spend literally a thousand hours over the years having long discussions on what we would want a plug to do in certain conditions and then I would in turn, attempt to come up with a way of way to make that happen.  In a conversation with Jeff  a while back, we were discussing how subtle differences in shape and weighting, combined with presentation and "stability" translated into more hookups. And the design feature you inquired about, ended up being developed from my being inspired by Jeff during that conversation.

Night Fever.jpg

Edited by Odin

26 mins ago, Atthebeach said:

It’s Terry Taylor,Russ. Beautiful work.

Terry, good morning my friend. Really glad to see your name. Hope all is well. Do me a favor and send me your address. A little down the road as I sort and go through some things, I'd like to send something I have had on the side for you for a bit of a while.

Odin,  your work looks beautiful..... And your discussion on getting input from fellow fishermen on how you can improve your work sounds very familiar to my experiences...  Best of luck in all your fishing adventures & plug building... Mike

10 hours ago, Odin said:

125192922_3464487680312923_5905605253987988468_n.jpg

124835075_3464486593646365_3325643415182376865_n.jpg

Your work is unreal, very nice. Being a veteran myself, this plug right here is just perfect, has a youch of gasoline to it?

5 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Odin,  your work looks beautiful..... And your discussion on getting input from fellow fishermen on how you can improve your work sounds very familiar to my experiences...  Best of luck in all your fishing adventures & plug building... Mike

Mike, thanks so much for the kind words. As is the case with many, I have been an admirer or your work as well. It's a "standard" in plug building that has inspired many young builders and I don't think you can have a greater compliment or legacy as a builder, or a man.

Unfortunately, after three decades, my days in a shop are probably over. A recently diagnosed health issue related to the back of my sinus/top of the throat and the treatments I am about to undertake, will probably mean the shop goes dark. That is why I am posting some more work here now. Just in case there are new builders that come along down the road, or by chance, one or two of the current crop of talented "garage" builders that might be interested in taking things in a slightly different direction.

Again Mike, thank you for the kind words and taking the time. It is genuinely appreciated.

Russ

An old guy side-note to other builders: My shop is filled with more air filtering and dust filtering equipment than most. I also have been pretty consistent with wearing a mask over the years.  Saw dust itself, not to mention some of the other materials you are working with are carcinogens. Meaning that long term exposure can cause issues down the road. I am not saying that is what has happened in my case. But I am suggesting that care be taken in the shop to protect your health down the road.

Edited by Odin

4 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Your work is unreal, very nice. Being a veteran myself, this plug right here is just perfect, has a youch of gasoline to it?

7 Rivers, thank you. Those two plugs, along with two others to honor the Air Force and Marines are a series that are part of 4 of 4 collection with a display presentation that includes an engraved plaque with a verse I drafted entitled, " A Soldiers Prayer."

The base of the plugs has the red and white stripes of a traditional flag underneath. The Army plug has black and magenta-like layers blended over it's surface in gradient fashion, toward the plug center. The Humvee is an attempt to mimic a holographic image and is painted with blended shadings of brilliant gold and black. 7, my way of doing things for these specialty plugs and my plug building process in general, is not traditional. It is based on other things I have done professionally and as hobbies throughout my life. So for the most part, the color pallets are hard to explain at times both because they are a bit outside of the norm, and also because I usually forget how I even did them.(laughing).

125075382_3464490970312594_4232539007851575639_n.jpg

124769812_3464480126980345_6298135747715202041_n.jpg

Edited by Odin