MorningWood

Russ Andersen - Art of Lure

142 posts in this topic

Holy smokes..... those are some gorgeous plugs.  It's obvious a lot of time, pride & craftsmanship go into each plug.  It's interesting to see all the variations he's created.  Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Do you do custom Military paint jobs Russ? I would love to get my hand on 1 or 2 you have pictured but guessing not available. Do you only sell online? If so where (if out of bounds mods please delete) Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Wow, Do you do custom Military paint jobs Russ? I would love to get my hand on 1 or 2 you have pictured but guessing not available. Do you only sell online? If so where (if out of bounds mods please delete) Thanks

 

I will answer for Russ in case he doesnt see this for some time.. Most of the military paints are done on request for friends but some have been inspired by friends and offered for auction. I don't believe any of his special paint jobs have been generally offered for sale although he has sold many of them. I was lucky to get the ones I have as part of a benefit auction Russ had for a plug builder who was injured in a cycle accident. He also auctioned off a few through his FB page. He doesnt sell through his website although it is a great website (He pays tribute to the old timers that he has fished with over the years). His mode of distribution like the old time plug builders is out of the back of his truck in the parking lots and beaches in the Breezy Point area. According to a recent post he has closed his shop for the season and will be throwing his wood instead of turning it for the next couple of months. Hopefully he's back in the shop by January making new stuff for the Spring..

 

Please feel free to correct me if I was wrong about anything Russ.

Edited by MorningWood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

 

 I am hoping that the forum members here would not mind if over the upcoming week or two, I place up some pics of the theme lures I had been creating up until a short while back that sit in my home in my personal collection. Circumstances are as such that my lure designing, building and art work of that nature, has probably run it's course. After three decades of building for myself, friends, fellow fishermen of our local waters within Gateway NRA and on occasion, lure and fishing related art collectors has probably come to a conclusion. With that likelihood  in mind, I'd like to leave some of the work here, to hopefully inspire others. Both the new generation of outstanding and talented builders that we have today, and hopefully, others in the future.

 

  I never crafted a single lure for the sole reason of making a buck. Most of us that have shared the passion of designing and building, rarely do...

 

Having been blessed with a bit of good fortune and living a life with an appreciation for simple things, I had the opportunity to semi-retire earlier than most. Which allowed me to devote a good part of my daily life to passions such as surf fishing and pretty much everything a surf-rat way of life entails. From building rods, to creating lures. Allowing me to over time, learn so many valuable lessons, about so many things  through both success and failures, that I can't even put it all into words.

 

 Making a name for myself as a fisherman was never an important thing. Like many from my generation, I preferred to stay under the radar for a variety of reasons.  So for the most part, I have pretty much stayed a local guy amongst a group of other regulars. I would like to say to any of those friends that may come along here, it was a genuine honor and a blessing to have had the opportunity to share the water and fish along side each of you, whether it be friend or otherwise, for these many years.

 

I hope that when stories are shared of a few of the greatest fishing moments, or memories, or when you gather, reflecting on some of the best times shared on the beach over the years, on occasion, my name is mentioned favorably and briefly in a conversation from time to time.

 

TheJetty.jpg

Edited by Odin
error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Odin said:

 

 I am hoping that the forum members here would not mind if over the upcoming week or two, I place up some pics of the theme lures I had been creating up until a short while back that sit in my home in my personal collection. Circumstances are as such that my lure designing, building and art work of that nature, has probably run it's course. After three decades of building for myself, friends, fellow fishermen of our local waters within Gateway NRA and on occasion, lure and fishing related art collectors has probably come to a conclusion. With that likelihood  in mind, I'd like to leave some of the work here, to hopefully inspire others. Both the new generation of outstanding and talented builders that we have today, and hopefully, others in the future.

 

  I never crafted a single lure for the sole reason of making a buck. Most of us that have shared the passion of designing and building, rarely do...

 

Having been blessed with a bit of good fortune and living a life with an appreciation for simple things, I had the opportunity to semi-retire earlier than most. Which allowed me to devote a good part of my daily life to passions such as surf fishing and pretty much everything a surf-rat way of life entails. From building rods, to creating lures. Allowing me to over time, learn so many valuable lessons, about so many things  through both success and failures, that I can't even put it all into words.

 

 Making a name for myself as a fisherman was never an important thing. Like many from my generation, I preferred to stay under the radar for a variety of reasons.  So for the most part, I have pretty much stayed a local guy amongst a group of other regulars. I would like to say to any of those friends that may come along here, it was a genuine honor and a blessing to have had the opportunity to share the water and fish along side each of you, whether it be friend or otherwise, for these many years.

 

I hope that when stories are shared of a few of the greatest fishing moments, or memories, or when you gather, reflecting on some of the best times shared on the beach over the years, on occasion, my name is mentioned favorably and briefly in a conversation from time to time.

 

TheJetty.jpg

Hi Mr Andersen first I would like to say your pencils and Polaris popper are my some of my favorite to fish. My uncle who lives in Rockaway gave me a few along with I believe you call it a “chugger”.  Can you throw me some info on how to fish it, it would be much appreciated. 
Thanks Mark

64B1BF94-144F-405A-BFBA-5ED6E6565629.jpeg.c05c15c20b442cc2c7205e6a19cc4328.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

26 mins ago, Mark L said:

Hi Mr Andersen first I would like to say your pencils and Polaris popper are my some of my favorite to fish. My uncle who lives in Rockaway gave me a few along with I believe you call it a “chugger”.  Can you throw me some info on how to fish it, it would be much appreciated. 
Thanks Mark

Hi Mark.  First, thank you very much for the kind words. Please just call me Russ...

 

The plug you are referring to is called a "Pop Dart."  You use it in a similar fashion to your pencil with a "walk the dog" motion. But you bounce your rod tip very slightly three or four times.. stop bouncing for a crank or two.. And then bounce it three or four times again.

 

 Repeat this process of bouncing a few times, followed by a crank of the reel handle bringing the lure straight in with no bounce. The idea is to try to mimic the splash of a peanut bunker every few feet, as you bring the lure in. That is your goal.

 

 Think in your mind what a bunker splash looks like when they splash quick on the surface and then quickly disappear. That is what you are going for when retrieving...

My suggestion is to practice it on flat water first until you get the hang of it and then once you have the feel locked into muscle memory you'll be set in other water.

 

Who is you Uncle, Mark??? Would that be my good buddy for many years, Ritchie? I think he told me he sent a few plugs to his nephew in CT a while back. One heck of a fisherman and a local regular and legend if it is fact him.

 

Edited by Odin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Odin said:

Hi Mark.  First, thank you very much for the kind words. Please just call me Russ...

 

The plug you are referring to is called a "Pop Dart."  You use it in a similar fashion to your pencil with a "walk the dog" motion. But you bounce your rod tip very slightly three or four times.. stop bouncing for a crank or two.. And then bounce it three or four times again.

 

 Repeat this process of bouncing a few times, followed by a crank of the reel handle bringing the lure straight in with no bounce. The idea is to try to mimic the splash of a peanut bunker every few feet, as you bring the lure in. That is your goal.

 

 Think in your mind what a bunker splash looks like when they splash quick on the surface and then quickly disappear. That is what you are going for when retrieving...

My suggestion is to practice it on flat water first until you get the hang of it and then once you have the feel locked into muscle memory you'll be set in other water.

 

Who is you Uncle, Mark??? Would that be my good buddy for many years, Ritchie? I think he told me he sent a few plugs to his nephew in CT a while back. One heck of a fisherman and a local regular and legend if it is fact him.

 

Russ thanks for the info next calm day I get on the sound I’m gonna use your techniques.  His name is Rich Hill and is a really good guy. He inspired me to change from bait fishing to plugging. Never looked back now going on 12 years I believe. Thanks again for the info. Your pencil by far is my favorite one to work, never leaves the bag when blues are around. Only have the one and definitely don’t want to lose that one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark L said:

Russ thanks for the info next calm day I get on the sound I’m gonna use your techniques.  His name is Rich Hill and is a really good guy. He inspired me to change from bait fishing to plugging. Never looked back now going on 12 years I believe. Thanks again for the info. Your pencil by far is my favorite one to work, never leaves the bag when blues are around. Only have the one and definitely don’t want to lose that one.  

Mark, I agree, your uncle is a really good guy and as I said, a local "jetty tip" fishing legend and someone I have been fortunate enough to fish with and  call a friend for many years. It is nice to meet you Mark. He has mentioned you proudly in the past, many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Odin said:

Mark, I agree, your uncle is a really good guy and as I said, a local "jetty tip" fishing legend and someone I have been fortunate enough to fish with and  call a friend for many years. It is nice to meet you Mark. He has mentioned you proudly in the past, many times.

Nice to have met you also and when I see him Ill bring you up to him. And the nice things you said about him. Take care. Headed ou to fish the pond his reference to my side of ling island sound. 

Edited by Mark L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.