MorningWood

Russ Andersen - Art of Lure

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Russ is a long time Breezy Point fisherman who has a small commercial plug operation. He builds mostly for friends but does occasionally sell out of his truck on these NY beaches, just like the old timers like Floyd Roman, Krystock, and Pichney did. I discovered him and his unbelievable talent a couple months ago on the Facebook plug pages. His stuff blows me away. His designs seem simple yet unique and his paint is usually intended to catch fish although he did recently come out with a collector's series that he auctioned off. I was very lucky to get three of the collector's plugs and being the gracious gentleman that he is he made sure the box was filled with much more than the plug I bid on. He is on SOL but he's more of a lurker on the NY Kayak forums. His SOL name is Odin. Check him out if you are lucky enough to land one or a few of his plugs you will be impressed.

P1190361.JPG

P1190363.JPG

P1190381.JPG

P1190548.JPG

P1190553.JPG

Edited by MorningWood

Kevin, a genuine thank you for the kind words of support. Matt, thanks to you also.

Big Fischer (Bill) and Lights Out (Derek)... Names Russ, nice to meet you. Derek, you and I have briefly exchanged a few words once before. I have admired both of your work a great deal for a while now and genuinely appreciate your comments... Kind of humbled by them. Thank you.

Since Kevin has put up this post and directed me to it here, I will take the time to state a little bit more about myself and my background for those that might come across it.

I have been building since the 90's.  I have always stayed pretty much within my own fishing community that I have been a part of for the past 30 years or so. I have never done the show circuit and such, because I am a bit more low key and old school about things.

Along with my 30 or so styles and sizes of "fish catchers" I build,

I also spend  time on themed collectibles.

I am in the process of pursuing patent procedures on a few of my original concepts and designs.

I have never posted any work here on SOL,  so this is a first for me.  But since Kevin has started this thread, I will leave a sampling of pics here of some specialty work in case anyone might be interested in viewing them. It's a condensed selection of what I do overall.

Again, Kevin and Matt thank you for the support. Bill and Derek, I wish both of you very talented builders, the continued success you each deserve. Tight Lines!

Series2SmartaDarta.JPG

Marineleft.jpg

OctoberMoon1.jpg

Capture.JPG

firstrun.jpg

20180819_115417[1].jpg

Edited by Odin

4 mins ago, afterhours said:

Russ not sure if you were referring to my comments, if so i'm not Derek, i'm Don and I build afterhours custom plugs :).

<smacking self on forehead> Yes Don, I was attempting to refer to you and as usual when it comes to names ( Or basically anything that involves gray matter involvement) I tripped over my own brain and fell square on my face...  My apologies for my admitted knuckleheadness Don. 

Sincerely,

Rob

I have purchased from Russ on more than one occasion. He is humble and an all-around American.  His lures are a work of art. The lures are worth more than what he charges you. 

Edited by Huy

3 hours ago, Odin said:

<smacking self on forehead> Yes Don, I was attempting to refer to you and as usual when it comes to names ( Or basically anything that involves gray matter involvement) I tripped over my own brain and fell square on my face...  My apologies for my admitted knuckleheadness Don. 

Sincerely,

Rob

:lg_smile:Too funny Rob!

2 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

sexy stuff here ... would love to see one them pencils in action with those cut outs in the front ... 

Meet me at Fort Tilden tomorrow I'll be trying them out.

Ran into Russ on the beach this afternoon. Lucky to find he still had a decent selection of his Fall lineup. Got some tips on how to fish his pencils. Can't wait to head back out and pin one on his sand eel pencil.