fishfood

Bonsai pepper plants

13 posts in this topic

Stumbled across this today;  you can apparently trim down a pepper plant at the end of it's first growing season, and make an indoor bonsai (or bonchi, I think is the correct term) that will fruit year to year.  Seems like the type of stupid hobby the garden nuts on this forum would attempt.    I might give it a whirl with my bhut jolokia... I only really need a handful of those peppers each year anyway.  

0beb.jpg.a4ec7c85186037de9815aa898b07840c.jpgp1630125054-3.jpg.20150f928141912efd45ab2768ba2cd5.jpg

I suppose as a hobby that might be ok. :shrug:

My wife has 2-3 Thai Chili Pepper plants that come inside for the winter anyways. One of the plants must be close to 15-20 years old now. She generally trims the plants down quite a bit and they go somewhat dormant for the winter. We have a good size spare room that several different vegetable plants stay for the winter. She runs a humidifier and a small whisper fan and the plants seem to love it. The last few days she has been digging up and potting the "mother" lemongrass plants. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, bospa357 said:

We have a good size spare room that several different vegetable plants stay for the winter. She runs a humidifier and a small whisper fan and the plants seem to love it. The last few days she has been digging up and potting the "mother" lemongrass plants. 

Cool....perfect spot for it and as long as you stay on top of it, well, you know the results.

Unfortunately, I have tried extending or over wintering various stuff like peppers and herbs like rosemary, and with the space I have and the drafty windows and the temps we keep the house in winter, inevitably they dry out and croak usually sometime around Ground Hog day. The rosemary I can get pretty far, but it only thakes that one time to forget to water it and :o

What does it get for light?

Edited by Steve in Mass

38 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

What does it get for light?

The room has lots of natural lighting with windows with southern exposure. She has a couple of grow lights, but we don't use them all the time.

Only culinary plant that survives over winter in my house is a little bay bush.   Gets a shower in the sink once a week.  It could be a candidate.   

45 mins ago, bospa357 said:

The room has lots of natural lighting with windows with southern exposure. She has a couple of grow lights, but we don't use them all the time.

:th:

Not old, but one Christmas we were given a colorful pepper plant as a gift. Small red and yellow peppers like the top one in the OP, only smaller peppers.

One night I decided to try what I had considered purely ornamental peppers. Oh boy! I was not prepared for that heat. Not scotch bonnet or ghost pepper hot, but hotter than your average jalapeño. Learned a lesson, small does not mean mild. 

32 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Not old, but one Christmas we were given a colorful pepper plant as a gift. Small red and yellow peppers like the top one in the OP, only smaller peppers.

One night I decided to try what I had considered purely ornamental peppers. Oh boy! I was not prepared for that heat. Not scotch bonnet or ghost pepper hot, but hotter than your average jalapeño. Learned a lesson, small does not mean mild. 

We had one of those, peppers were about an inch or two. Chomped on one and it had legit heat. Tons of small peppers. 

I wound up putting them in a dehydrater overnight, threw in a coffee grinder and put into a pepper shaker to use as a topping. 

Posted (edited)

As far as indoor humidity, do you think the type of heat you use in your house makes enough of a difference for keeping plants happy?  My old house was an electric heat pump, which was always very dry.   Current house has a furnace with baseboard water heat, so it stays pretty comfortable. 

I could always just put the thing in the bathroom when my wife/daughter shower in the mornings.  The walls drip they take such long hot showers.  

Edited by fishfood

3 hours ago, fishfood said:

As far as indoor humidity, do you think the type of heat you use in your house makes enough of a difference for keeping plants happy?  My old house was an electric heat pump, which was always very dry.   Current house has a furnace with baseboard water heat, so it stays pretty comfortable. 

I could always just put the thing in the bathroom when my wife/daughter shower in the mornings.  The walls drip they take such long hot showers.  

We have forced hot water too. Our house is not dry, but my wife will also run a humidifier from time to time in the "plant room". I'm not sure it really needs it, but she claims it does due to the southern exposure windows. 

Posted (edited)

We overwinter many, many plants - we use every room in the house.  Most make it through, but we do lose a few occasionally. I built dollies for all the plants so they can be rotated to get their fair share of sunlight.  

Here is a shot of just a few .....  in the living room.

5ba24a7fd01d3_garlicbeds1-1(3).jpg.7c3a9e4b92ca6539e5544fe7121184fa.jpg 

We decorate a kaffir lime tree for a Christmas tree, no room for a traditional one.  

5ba24b6852d3e_garlicbeds1-1(4).jpg.85050192e50bd3df6565618768c16366.jpg

Edited by MattituckMike

Haha, the xmas lime tree is awesome.   Doubt I could get my wife to agree to that, but I'd be game.