surfamerica

Braided Line Suggestions

27 posts in this topic

Jbraid 20#...in the 8 strand...Cabalas carries the 4 strand and do not like it, but much cheaper guess it must sell they will not stock the 8 strand. Can get it for less than $20 on Ebay, so not bad. The 20 lb breaks at over 30-35 so that all you need for surf...can throw it further than mono and lasts long time...like other have said just reverse it after couple years. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, fatbikerjoe said:

Fireline on older reels that are not braid friendly and Suffix 832 on the newer equipment.  

This...

I like suffix 832 but I'm the king of windknots and I lose half my spool way too often. The stuff is expensive. Much better knots (the regular kind, not the wind kind) with suffix.

3 hours ago, Fishy Fisher said:

I like suffix 832 but I'm the king of windknots and I lose half my spool way too often. The stuff is expensive. Much better knots (the regular kind, not the wind kind) with suffix.

With all braid, dont overspool. Manually turn bail 

Over by hand and hold line until you feel contact with lure. That should fix your problem

I use 30 lb cast king on my fluke & surf rods (really should go down to 15 or 20 lb for fluke but I bought the giant spool of 30 so whatever). I use the 15 lb on my largemouth bass rods as well. I never have any issues really and it's probably the cheapest stuff by far. The only complaint I can really give is the color fades faster than more expensive brands. Plus I've always noticed something weird when you get closer to the spool. That line always seems "weird" and doesn't cast as well. I don't really know how to describe it but I wonder if it is due to the brand of braid since I really do not get that issue on the one LMB rod I have with PP.

Have had issues with PowerPro - seems to break much easier than in years past.  Have switched to Suffix 833 and couldn’t be happier.

I have had wind knots with Power Pro, J Braid, PP Super Slick, Samurai.  I have never had a wind knot with Suffix 832.   Wind knots = lost lures.  I have used swivels in an attempt to prevent line twists and have also just tied my braid directly to the mono leader.  I have gotten wind knots with all of the above lines except the 832. 

If you are fishing lures 3/4-2 Oz, I'd got with 20 lb test.  If you are fishing places like Montauk, Block Island and are throwing bigger (heavier plugs) to larger fish then you can step it up to 30 lb test. 

On 9/16/2018 at 4:36 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

Sufix 832, 20-30lb is all I've ever needed. I've tried regular sufix, power pro, powerpro SS, 832 has been the best.

X2

On 10/18/2018 at 8:41 AM, Fishy Fisher said:

If you are prone to wind knots go with 30 or 40#

I started with Fireline when it first came out and switched to Powerpro several years later. The Powerpro was friendlier on the hands and casted further. The fireline was stronger but I still prefer the smoother line. 

Berkeley x9 or P-line TCB8 

Both are very nice  line  that cast better than j braid or my old time favorite 832. I have been using 30 and 50 in both brands X9 is about 32$ for 330yrds and tcb8 is like 27$ for 300