Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

"REEL" IDEA...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

You know, I've looked at many different reels over the years, and something strikes me...

Many of the reels out there are GREAT, but they have terrible handles. And Fishermen can be picky about what they want in a handle. Some like a knob, some like a paddle, some like a T-handle, and the list goes on.

IF SOMEONE WAS SMART, they could cash in on this situation. Offer a paddle handle that would fit on a Stradic, for instance. Or offer a retrofit handle for the Megalites, that won't loosen with age. Or whatever. Give people what they want.

In my case, I love the handle on the Taurus/Stella/Cabelas SS/Okuma Metaloid reels. A VERY SOLID, forged, solid metal handle with absolutely NO slop whatsoever!

If I could get that handle for the Tica Libra, I would be in love! And I BET a lot of you would too!

What do you guys think? WWW.FishingHandles.com? smile.gif

TH

Thill both links in this thread don't work for me, aside from that my handle of choice is the paddle in theAbu 6500-400 Calcutta size reels. Two reasons, first off the power handle is a more macho looking thing but useless in a reel that doesn't have a drag capable of more than 10lbs, 4 lbs if you've got the Abu. Second in the larger turning radius of the larger handle on an already slower retrieving reel. Why for the life of me upgrade to 6.3 gears and put a slower power handle on it? Favorite handle? The Cal 401TE Paddle. Prospector

I think you raise a good point but the yeller handle on the Nautil looks funny and at first feels funny, but after you get used to it, you actually prefer it. I think lots of guys like a wooden handle, some like metal, but yes it would be nice to have a sturdy universal handle to fit all.

Prospector,

I totally agree with you! I bought that handle under recommendations from folks at this site, put it on, and took it right back off and sold it.

BTW, here is the best spinning handle I have seen to date, and let me tell you why:

tactic.jpg

1. Notice that it is a forged handle- SOLID

2. The actual handle is compressed rubber- very comfortable in the hand

3. And the shape is the best part! Take a look at it... it is flat paddle with extended ends, so you can use it like a paddle grip OR as a T-handle when you really have to crank!

Like I say, it's the best, most versatile grip I've ever seen.

TH

I would love a solid one piece construction handle for my Libra.. To date it's my only complaint about the reel.. Handle sucks after a few fish..

ErikT

That reel and the Shimanos are the ones I have in mind.

I think I'm going to pay the $15 for the handle you see above, and then do some SURGERY.

I'll let you know how it works out...

TH