Government kills swimmer on cape

Rate this topic

turkaholic

Like anything else in this world, if there is nothing to eat nothing will stay around for any length of time, to me it will only get worse, as the seal population get bigger, you don't get rid sharks sharks are your garbagemen of the sea if it's edible they will eat it including humans, trim out the seal population or import more sharks and watch a feeding frenzy on them. 

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

biologist says this is just a sign of an healthy environment coming back into balance"........... Already discrediting the folks who spend the most time on the water

Wont be for long when the seals deplete there food stock, they will just move on. 

You guys are worrying about the wrong invaders.

What Rhode Island fishermen should fear regarding events on the Cape is not seals or sharks, it's surfers.

I bet a good number of the wiser, fainter hearted surfers will look to the west to get ahead of the seal herd.

Those "Fishermen's" access state parking lots will be locked up with surfers.

Surfers will appear like magic on top of any whitewater. They will not move if you cast near them. You know the drill.

On the bright side, surfer chicks in wetsuits.

5 hours ago, splions said:

I was out with a few non-fishing friends yesterday and they said something needed to be done about the sharks.  I explained it was too many seals and not the sharks that are creating this problem.  I bet there are a lot of people assuming the sharks are to blame.

no offense, but that's a very special kind of stupid on display there. like pro bowl of stupid.  :laugh::laugh:

6 hours ago, Kooky said:

Was watching the Today show in the background this am, and they were discussing this topic.  Reporter said "if you ask fisherman they will say the seals are overpopulated and a problem, but this is not true a marine biologist says this is just a sign of an healthy environment coming back into balance"........... Already discrediting the folks who spend the most time on the water

Sounds like a good foot soldier towing the party line. In other words, more fake science.

7 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Sounds like a good foot soldier towing the party line. In other words, more fake science.

Where's the Real science?

Spare me the 8th grade math lesson;

"X number of seals eat Y lbs of fish..."

Show me a study somewhere that says the seals are overpopulated or how they impact any given fishery. 

I'll help you get started: Canada has studied this very close for many years.

Steps they have taken include shutting down the commercial fishery and a modest seal cull.

They've had time to study the results. They have a handle on how many seals there can be and still let stocks recover.

You aren't going to like what you read. In fact you will most likely pronounce it "Fake" without bothering to read it.

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

Canada studied seals/ great white sharks  on the cape, and how they impact the striper population ? 

That was nice of them. 

We were talking about healthy ecosystems. 

Must be some good **** for you to get that confused this early in the evening. :shaky:

17 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

A specific one :th:

maybe hold the soccer flop a little longer, or save it for times when you’re making the point you think you’re making. 

I don't get the soccer thing but you may be right about the point I thought I was making. 

I've been running with this stupid topic on like 5 different places for a few days. I'm tired.

I don't believe anyone has studied the gw/seal/Cape question yet, it's a new phenomenon. There are no studies.

The point I failed to make was that the Canadians studied grey seals and effect on commercially significant fish stocks. Not the same, but as close as you can get from existing science.

What's a soccer flop?

15 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Where's the Real science?

Spare me the 8th grade math lesson;

"X number of seals eat Y lbs of fish..."

Show me a study somewhere that says the seals are overpopulated or how they impact any given fishery. 

I'll help you get started: Canada has studied this very close for many years.

Steps they have taken include shutting down the commercial fishery and a modest seal cull.

They've had time to study the results. They have a handle on how many seals there can be and still let stocks recover.

You aren't going to like what you read. In fact you will most likely pronounce it "Fake" without bothering to read it.

Do you really need to see a study to understand there is a problem?.... just look with your eyes. It’s a big problem that WILL only get worse. 

Just like the famous movie “ I don’t think you’ll believe it until it swims up and bites you in the ass”

CF09C76D-D271-433F-ACFA-0C073BD2D50F.jpeg

D78AC95F-5AB2-4F58-87B8-FB442D372DA1.jpeg

You don't think there is a problem, when the state of MA is closing beaches due to the fecal coliform pollution from the seal **** and the MA Dept of health is warning people not to approach dead seals because they are carrying either avian flu or canine distemper or both?

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI