turkaholic

Government kills swimmer on cape

39 posts in this topic

Well, I know this is over the edge but, aren't they responsible for the over population of Grey Seals on the National seashore. They have ruined the cape and now heading for a beach near you. Wear your chain mail waders. I would expect a lot of used kayaks for sale very soon. 

Was just a matter of time. 

Note to self, do not swim 300’ off shore when I’m the cape. 

Govt responsible for accident fatalities by allowing cars on the road and building highways. They have ruined the landscape and now heavy pieces of machinery controlled by irresponsible, reckless, druggies and drunks are flying by near you at high speeds. Wear your crash test suits and install your rollcages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Posted (edited)

In my mind this is quite overdue. I Iexpected this to happen at least 5-8 years ago. Over the last 5-10 years I have been reading about GW's getting caught in fish traps and washing up dead on shore here in Rhody. Not a pleasant thing to be made aware of for those of us who wear black wetsuits and swim or deep wade to rocks or rock piles/boulders adjacent to deep water. Going back 5-10 years ago I remember on three occasions where the morning after l was bobbing or side stroking to a decent rock/rockpile  and learned of a GW caught in a fishtrap or washed up on shore from between 100-300 yards from where I spent most of the night in the water.

Now if I'm waste deep or more in water I want to make sure it's loaded with structure, reefs, boulders whatever making it difficult to impossible for us to be sharing the same water.

This kid didn't do himself any favors wearing a wetsuit and swim fins while thrashing about on his paddleboard.

Wonder if we will truly get the complete story. 

There was quite a bit intentionally withheld on the first attack in truro. The guy had quite a few surgeries. What many don't know is those severe bites to his upper legs and torso also removed his privates. Several surgeries to rebuild and reattach his penis and save at least one testicle in hopes they still function.

Thankfully he wasn't a young guy, sad to say the guy yesterday was only 21.

Blame the FN seal lovers, they should be locked in their cars with a swarm of bees.

Time to start a pool on what the final number for G Whitey will be for the year.

Edited by In The Surf

7 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Well, I know this is over the edge but, aren't they responsible for the over population of Grey Seals on the National seashore. They have ruined the cape and now heading for a beach near you. Wear your chain mail waders. I would expect a lot of used kayaks for sale very soon. 

...its like the deer population in every state , the state regulates licenses , conservation , protection but if you run a deer over & it causes an accident damage to your vehicle go & take the state to court to be reimbursed , & lets not forget bodly harm or death . Catch & release not always works , you have to cull the animal / breed 

20 seals at North rip on BI the other day.  Friend spotted a dorsal at cove nearby, not a coincidence. Wading to a spot with a buddy the other night. He starts throwing rocks ahead of us to scare away sharks. The fear is real.

To be fair, GWs are just a part of the ecosystem here that used to be present in much larger numbers. Don’t get me wrong, I sure as hell don’t want to get chomped either, but the overall risk is extremely low if you don’t make bad decisions. It’s not like they’re actually overpopulated like deer are, it’s just the fear factor that gets most people.

I was out with a few non-fishing friends yesterday and they said something needed to be done about the sharks.  I explained it was too many seals and not the sharks that are creating this problem.  I bet there are a lot of people assuming the sharks are to blame.

Was watching the Today show in the background this am, and they were discussing this topic.  Reporter said "if you ask fisherman they will say the seals are overpopulated and a problem, but this is not true a marine biologist says this is just a sign of an healthy environment coming back into balance"........... Already discrediting the folks who spend the most time on the water