RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 15 - Sept 22

Rate this topic

Capt.Castafly

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Boat trip Saturday morning produced lots of harbor bluefish, no stripers, no albie/bonito sightings.

We motored from Wickford around Jamestown, shot up the east side. We did see some action of keep stripers south of house on the rocks, but got there too late. That was the only sign of birds and baitfish on the ocean front all morning. Water color was an emerald green, deep in color, a long texture from sea green. Didn't see a game fish caught all morning. Ventured back into the bay, all the cocktail bluefish you wanted south of Wickford.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Went out 3-8 Saturday night, saw some bird and top water busting action in some inlets, they were picky and it smelled like Albies or bones in the Watch Hill area. No stripers, just sea bass and porgies. Went out again Sunday 7am-3pm, didn’t even bother targeting stripers or blues with nothing big showing up on the finders, but stacks of porgies and sea bass.

Friday evening, got into some nice blitzes at at an inlet.  Lots of bass & blues, few keeper sizes caught.  Few pieces of grass at low.

Saturday morning & evening; chumming off a beach & plugs.  Seen a quick blitz out front.  Nothing.  No action at the inlets.

Sunday morning;  Water looked like coffee milk.  Lots of eel grass everywhere. Nothing.

Dirty water early and lots of grass Sunday morn. Went out in the middle of the sound and got into a handful of some of the biggest black bass I've seen in a while. All had huge guts and were eating the eel strips vs squid. Bringing em up from 60 ft on 15lb line felt nice tho. Had a few tiny schools of albs show up towards top of the tide but few and far in between as the bait schools were much much smaller than weeks before.

Fished a breachway this weekend. Got two legal bass right off the bat and then nothing. Huge waves, lots of weed, and dirty water. I have a feeling with the OTW report and the storm this week, next weekend is going to look like this at any jetty in RI.

Image result for crowds blitz fishing

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau