Sam3631

About to be 1st time conventional user

122 posts in this topic

Hi everybody- 1st post here and pretty new to the site and 1 year into Surf casting.

Been plugging for last year in Ocean County with a 9’ Tica and Battle II 5000.  Some luck but not much with stripers.  Only schoolies to date.

I’d like to try bait this fall season.  Saw Rich Troxler’s videos and like the idea of holding the rod and not spiking it.

Anyway, I talked to a few guys at the shop, very nice and helpful.

Their suggestions are a 10-6” rod and either an Abu with centrifugal brake and level wind.  Another reel suggestion was the Penn Squall star drag, no level wind, mag brake.  Not looking to spend a ton of $ on this setup.

Reel man at shop thought lever drag for Surf wouldn’t work as well for me.

A few questions.

1.  Why the star and not lever drag,  is it a boat reel, the lever drag?

2.  When using a non-level wind, do you have to worry about the line lay when reeling back in?  For a beginner to conventional, is managing the line troublesome?  I am willing to practice and like trying new things.

3.  Seems like the mag brake is a no brainer, but is it really?

4.  I was originally looking into the small Avet, but it’s lever drag.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mike B.

Toms River

Posted (edited)

1. Star reels are more tolerant of sand and grit.  Lever drags are made, generally speaking, to higher tolerances that don't do well with sand.

2.  Yes. No, it's not difficult.  My problem is that after decades of fishing Newell reels, my left thumb can't stop spreading line even when the reel DOES have a level wind.

3.  Nothing is idiotproof. Good brakes come close.

4.  Yes it is. 

Of the two reel choices, and having used neither, I would opt for the Squall. 

Edited by BrianBM

Toss a few clam baits with the current spinning set-up. Dead sticking is not for all, find out before you toss a bundle in the wrong direction.

Posted (edited)

if it were me I'd go with a 10-11 foot rod with a 7000c3.

simple and solid is the way to go.

one of my many faves is a 10 ft okuma CSX surf rated 3-8 and a abu pro rocket 7000cs I think it is.

you have some practicing to do!

HH

Edited by Roddy

I would stick with spinning and master fishing with that setup before getting into conventional rod and reel surfcasting. If you want to throw bait and sinkers buy a heavier spinning outfit. Take my word for it fishing with conventional tackle in the surf is not easy and can be frustrating particularly if you are a beginner at fishing the surf. 

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I would stick with spinning and master fishing with that setup before getting into conventional rod and reel surfcasting. If you want to throw bait and sinkers buy a heavier spinning outfit. Take my word for it fishing with conventional tackle in the surf is not easy and can be frustrating particularly if you are a beginner at fishing the surf. 

Totally but respectfully disagree.  If starting to fish conventional, specially if starting it with heavier  bait fishing is the way to go. Start slow, i.e. lob, and don't worry too much about distance - it will come soon enough as you learn and master spool control. Regarding reel choice I prefer the Squall for same reason BriamBM mentioned - might be "faster" than Abu and no LW but will teach your right thumb  spool control and your left thumb line management - learn and develop (good) habits early. BTW, start with mono.

I use nothing but conventional reels in the surf. Plugs, tins, eels, you mane it. A conventional reel is nothing like the spinner, totally different. 

Now, you say ya wanna chunk? Someone suggested a 10'6" rod, which is fine. I have two 11'0" heavers that I use when I chunk.

About the reel, for a first time user, I would go with the level wind Abu. A 7000 Abu adjusted proerly is very forgiving and easy to learn to cast on. An even better reel would be an Omoto 7000 CSM. This reel is just like an Abu but with a mag brake. You can never blow this reel up.

But an Abu 7000 is tough to backlash, with 65# braid or mono line.

Some suggested the Squall without the level wind? I believe in one step at a time! Indexing the line on a retrieve for a new user, with a bluefish on the end might frustrate the user on the next cast. lol

But what ever you decide to use, get out there and practice! Take short casts first, and gradually increase the distance and see what you can do. Casting weight and bait can easily give one a birds nest when the rig hits the water, the line runs on if the spool isn't thumbed. But you'll get your birds nests, we all get them, not often, but we do!     

Having watched the PMR you Tube video(s) on the Squall inferiority to the original USA 525 mag and having read CaryGreene's assessment of the current ABU's, if I were looking at conventional's for bait-and-wait today, I would be looking hard at the Akios lineup, which I have only heard good things about.  They have mag cast control available in both level wind and non-level wind models, and to me, the fact that Tommy Farmer (U.S Distance record holder) endorses and distributes them, speaks volumes.

Also, I think you will find that Tommy's Carolina Cast Pro rods have as much or better performance potential for the dollar as any off-the-shelf rod out there. 

14 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I use nothing but conventional reels in the surf. Plugs, tins, eels, you mane it. A conventional reel is nothing like the spinner, totally different. 

Now, you say ya wanna chunk? Someone suggested a 10'6" rod, which is fine. I have two 11'0" heavers that I use when I chunk.

About the reel, for a first time user, I would go with the level wind Abu. A 7000 Abu adjusted proerly is very forgiving and easy to learn to cast on. An even better reel would be an Omoto 7000 CSM. This reel is just like an Abu but with a mag brake. You can never blow this reel up.

But an Abu 7000 is tough to backlash, with 65# braid or mono line.

Some suggested the Squall without the level wind? I believe in one step at a time! Indexing the line on a retrieve for a new user, with a bluefish on the end might frustrate the user on the next cast. lol

But what ever you decide to use, get out there and practice! Take short casts first, and gradually increase the distance and see what you can do. Casting weight and bait can easily give one a birds nest when the rig hits the water, the line runs on if the spool isn't thumbed. But you'll get your birds nests, we all get them, not often, but we do!     

I'm with you JZ!

HH 

Posted (edited)

This is a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyways since there are some great fisherman replying to this thread and would appreciate their tolerating it :)

I haven’t used a conventional since I was probably 13, which in dog years would be a bit shy of 5 years. 

Then I pretty much stopped fishing for whatever reason. So using the reel is no longer second nature. 

I’ve been using spinning for the last 10 years since picking it back up (Penn 704, 704z, Gosa, BG, etc), but would like to get back into conventional at some point in the near futute. 

What im worried about is that I a so comfortable with left hand retrieve on spinners that I would probably want that on a conventional. 

Is there any downside to keeping the same side retrieve on a conventional as a spinner?

Edited by PlumFishing

Wow, thanks for all the great responses.

A few different opinions but I think I’m going to go with the Abu 7000c.  

Any opinions on the Abu Striper Special?  It has 15 lb drag vs 20 lb on 7000.  It is also holds less line than the 7000.  But, 1/2 the weight.  Anybody cast bait with the striper special?

11 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

This is a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyways since there are some great fisherman replying to this thread and would appreciate their tolerating it :)

I haven’t used a conventional since I was probably 13, which in dog years would be a bit shy of 5 years. 

Then I pretty much stopped fishing for whatever reason. So using the reel is no longer second nature. 

I’ve been using spinning for the last 10 years since picking it back up (Penn 704, 704z, Gosa, BG, etc), but would like to get back into conventional at some point in the near futute. 

What im worried about is that I a so comfortable with left hand retrieve on spinners that I would probably want that on a conventional. 

Is there any downside to keeping the same side retrieve on a conventional as a spinner?

My friend, you can do this thing any way you see fit. Right handed, left handed, both hands, both feet. As long as it feels comfortable to you. There is no downside

Why spend all that money if you want to toss bait mabe just a bigger rod keep the reel you have you will be good to go! You can stick with the rod you have as well i use a 8’ rod sometimes for throwing baits and do just fine.