JohnQ

Another Shark bite

307 posts in this topic

Just heard of another person bitten by a shark,this one at Newcombe Hollow Beach in Wellfleet.

Posted (edited)

Wow, scary. Hope they're doing alright/ all in one piece. Is the increase in shark activity at the cape a recent thing, or has it always been this way? It's definitely something on my mind when on a boat/wading.

Edited by Lt. Jangle

I just hope that when the time comes that the media really sinks their teeth into the GW situation (no pun intended), they lay the blame where its deserved, and not villify the sharks.

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

I just hope that when the time comes that the media really sinks their teeth into the GW situation (no pun intended), they lay the blame where its deserved, and not villify the sharks.

yea! those damb bass!

35 mins ago, Lt. Jangle said:

Wow, scary. Hope they're doing alright/ all in one piece. Is the increase in shark activity at the cape a recent thing, or has it always been this way? It's definitely something on my mind when on a boat/wading.

The numbers of white sharks have increased dramatically over the past 10 years as their chief food source, grey seals, has been allowed to balloon to ridiculous levels, without any government intervention, where culling should be considered.  More seals = more sharks = more attacks.  It's really actually that simple.

1 min ago, golden said:

The numbers of white sharks have increased dramatically over the past 10 years as their chief food source, grey seals, has been allowed to balloon to ridiculous levels, without any government intervention, where culling should be considered.  More seals = more sharks = more attacks.  It's really actually that simple.

exactly.  i have a few inuit friends just waiting for the call.

27 mins ago, bob_G said:

The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of anyone choosing to go in that water.

Couldn't be simpler.

Very sad to hear this.  Horrible.

Time to change the outdated law protecting seals.  This will happen again - soon - if something isn’t done to the seal population.  Fortunate this isn’t the second victim, it is a miracle that the other bite victim survived.