pclassic

Plum Island

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals, I’m hoping that maybe some of you could share any information, stories, tips, experiences you might have on fishing the Parker River Refuge like your most productive spots, best tides, days of nights, lures? I’ve never fished there yet probably because I don’t like paying a cover charge to fish, but this may change soon since I’ve heard it’s a productive area. I’m strictly catch and release so I won’t be taking any fish from you. I’m just hoping some of you could share your knowledge with me so I could have a starting point to maybe catch the fall run hoping I’m not to late. Thanks

2 hours ago, pclassic said:

Hi guys and gals, I’m hoping that maybe some of you could share any information, stories, tips, experiences you might have on fishing the Parker River Refuge *like your most productive spots*, best tides, days of nights, lures? I’ve never fished there yet probably because I don’t like paying a cover charge to fish...

(¬_¬)

lol.gif.5f1ba56883cb14d180530b73f8988f85.gif

lol

> c'mon man.

1) I gotta assume this post is a troll job: no one -- and i mean no one -- I've ever met has considered the FIVE DOLLAR fee into the Res an impediment to fishing it

2) on the way off chance this is legitimate... take a tip from el Blob-O here:

tryharder.gif.6d0a92d1b71ea54203a9a01f3b849080.gif

>> cant get in shape unless you move; cant learn how to fish unless you fish 

Wow! You guys are brutal. I’m not young anymore I have health issues and walking the distance that it would take to cover the entire area until I found a productive spot is impossible for me. Just was hoping to find someone who would share their knowledge of this area to help me out a bit. But, thanks for your input.

@pclassic

Well then my apologies man. Sometimes I get too used to expecting the worst out of people online. 

Just a thought: generally speaking .. almost across the board.. asking for people's most productive spots off the top, at a famous fishing area..on a public online forum...is not received with a huge ton of enthusiasm. But if you explained your health limitations, then what you are looking to do as far as fishing, perhaps someone might PM you a brief rundown of a couple techniques that best work for you. 

The sand structure is always changing on that Island, so even if someone showed you a great spot today.. the structure might be wiped out tomorrow. Better to ask about reading the water to be able to see the spots in plain sight yourself. 

I always liked eels at night on PI. Also needlefish and loaded chicken scratch redfinds. 

Edit: @pclassic now that I think about it, most of the beaches of PI are very steep, and the sand soft structure is not exactly that easy to read there, compared to some of the shallower sloped beaches.

There are several others right next to PI hint south that are much easier to read at low tide, where the holes are, where the dead water's going to be, etc. Problem is that you said you have health limitations: I did more walking on the beaches in that general "area" than just about any other area I fish. Actually used to lose 10-15lbs of lazy winter fat over a summer from packing in and hiking out quite a few miles multiple nights a week during the summer. The Res is different if you have an access sticker though; starting in late Aug you can fish the rest of the island which is closed most of the year and just drive your ORV on. Maybe thats for you next year, as I'm pretty sure you've got to put your name in for a sticker sort of well in advance. I dont know though I never got one

Other than that there's basically 3  or 4 areas to fish that dont require too much walking on PI. The point in the river. The main beach by Surfland. And if you ante up the 5 bucks to go into the PRWR, drive down the dirt road to the very end. Thats Sandy Point. Maybe start your fall fishing there. Not a ton of weeks left so maybe give Sandy point a try very soon. You can stop in to Surfland beforehand to get better tips than I have with regard to the area and also how it's fishing right now.

Edited by rst3

Surfland is your best bet for volunteered info. Not gonna get many specifics out of here unless via pm. id pm you myself but have very little refuge exp in the fall. live much closer to cape and ri.

You can get some kind of free parking pass for seniors in nwrs and natl parks. Ask at parker river visitors center. But im not sure if it entitles you to night fishing. Im guessing not but ask.

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

@pclassic

Well then my apologies man. Sometimes I get too used to expecting the worst out of people online. 

Just a thought: generally speaking .. almost across the board.. asking for people's most productive spots off the top, at a famous fishing area..on a public online forum...is not received with a huge ton of enthusiasm. But if you explained your health limitations, then what you are looking to do as far as fishing, perhaps someone might PM you a brief rundown of a couple techniques that best work for you. 

The sand structure is always changing on that Island, so even if someone showed you a great spot today.. the structure might be wiped out tomorrow. Better to ask about reading the water to be able to see the spots in plain sight yourself. 

I always liked eels at night on PI. Also needlefish and loaded chicken scratch redfinds. 

Edit: @pclassic now that I think about it, most of the beaches of PI are very steep, and the sand soft structure is not exactly that easy to read there, compared to some of the shallower sloped beaches.

There are several others right next to PI hint south that are much easier to read at low tide, where the holes are, where the dead water's going to be, etc. Problem is that you said you have health limitations: I did more walking on the beaches in that general "area" than just about any other area I fish. Actually used to lose 10-15lbs of lazy winter fat over a summer from packing in and hiking out quite a few miles multiple nights a week during the summer. The Res is different if you have an access sticker though; starting in late Aug you can fish the rest of the island which is closed most of the year and just drive your ORV on. Maybe thats for you next year, as I'm pretty sure you've got to put your name in for a sticker sort of well in advance. I dont know though I never got one

Other than that there's basically 3  or 4 areas to fish that dont require too much walking on PI. The point in the river. The main beach by Surfland. And if you ante up the 5 bucks to go into the PRWR, drive down the dirt road to the very end. Thats Sandy Point. Maybe start your fall fishing there. Not a ton of weeks left so maybe give Sandy point a try very soon. You can stop in to Surfland beforehand to get better tips than I have with regard to the area and also how it's fishing right now.

Thanks rst3

Posted (edited)

You could also go to a Plum Island Surfcasters meeting and join if it interests you.   They host trips, have speakers, and you can meet new people who may ask you to join them.  Good club.

Edited by striperguynh

On 9/14/2018 at 8:08 PM, pclassic said:

Wow! You guys are brutal. I’m not young anymore I have health issues and walking the distance that it would take to cover the entire area until I found a productive spot is impossible for me. Just was hoping to find someone who would share their knowledge of this area to help me out a bit. But, thanks for your input.

???

6 mins ago, Baass said:

What happens at plum island, stays at plum island. No one talks about plum island

He must be referring to Plum Island, NY.  The one off of Orient Point.  Great fishing on that Plum Island.  There is no Plum Island in Massachusetts.  If there was, there wouldn't be any fish there whatsoever.