China vs American Van Staal?

Rate this topic

Fishy4335

20 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

Have the 200 and 250 from China....waited five years before servicing the 200 and the 250 still going strong without service. Excellent reels

sorry sir, i guess you haven't been fishing long enough, to remember when VS's were made in the USA, all my VS reels are made in USA, to be perfectly honest, they have never been serviced, i am fishing long enough, to remember, these fishing companies only go to China for only one reason, "cheap labor, big retail profits "....

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

1 hour ago, lureman said:

sorry sir, i guess you haven't been fishing long enough, to remember when VS's were made in the USA, all my VS reels are made in USA, to be perfectly honest, they have never been serviced, i am fishing long enough, to remember, these fishing companies only go to China for only one reason, "cheap labor, big retail profits "....

My 200 didn’t actually need service but a fellow named Bert who many know from Long Island offered so I let him service it. I’m sure the American models needed service at some point. I don’t have stats but I’m confident that the current VS is the number one selling  fully sealed reel on the market so I’ll continue to support VS 

Boston Strong

Respect your opinion and stance on American made products Butch, but think your hatred of Chinese manufacturing blocks objective thinking. I don't like it either and hate to see everyone sell out to overseas, but has become the nature of business unless you can convince the entire fishing community to pay more for an American made reel. Goodluck with that during the internet buy it as cheap as possible era. Most retail reels at small local shops are covered in dust around here. Sadly it is what it is for now, and don't see that changing anytime soon without a culture change.

All my US made VS needed repair at one point or another and that was as a recreational fisherman. Once I went commercial, repair costs weren't feasible for me to own so I sold them and went with better service plans. All reels if fished enough break and need parts and again I wouldn't be able to fish a US made VS with the same sense of American pride knowing the history of the company and further more Rob K. 

1 hour ago, dennysnook said:

Respect your opinion and stance on American made products Butch, but think your hatred of Chinese manufacturing blocks objective thinking. I don't like it either and hate to see everyone sell out to overseas, but has become the nature of business unless you can convince the entire fishing community to pay more for an American made reel. Goodluck with that during the internet buy it as cheap as possible era. Most retail reels at small local shops are covered in dust around here. Sadly it is what it is for now, and don't see that changing anytime soon without a culture change.

All my US made VS needed repair at one point or another and that was as a recreational fisherman. Once I went commercial, repair costs weren't feasible for me to own so I sold them and went with better service plans. All reels if fished enough break and need parts and again I wouldn't be able to fish a US made VS with the same sense of American pride knowing the history of the company and further more Rob K. 

Some people refuse to let go of the past and keep with modern times....China is our largest trading partner worth over 600 billion dollars between the two nations. That was many decades in the making 

Boston Strong

I had an American Van Staal (about 2 years old at the time) literally split in half.  I guess the US made ones were constructed out of 1 piece (the body that is), so I'd say they have a leg up on the Chinese from my experience.  Also, if the VR is Chinese made, broke one of those in 1 season (anti reverse).  Lastly, Broke a VM too (figure those are made in China too)

6 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

My 200 didn’t actually need service but a fellow named Bert who many know from Long Island offered so I let him service it. I’m sure the American models needed service at some point. I don’t have stats but I’m confident that the current VS is the number one selling  fully sealed reel on the market so I’ll continue to support VS 

Most people in the beginning that had a American made Van Staal, serviced it ounce a year. If there serial number was 001 - 7000...:)

They offered a lifetime warranty on the reel providing you serviced it every year within the date of purchase. Allot of money back then for a reel. ( unknown  reel ) So it was a good promotional sale tactic, so most everyone that owned one had it serviced every year. After that time period the public spread the rumor of the reel still having a lifetime warranty, that was untrue. I for one have a American made reel that at time of purchase thought it came with the lifetime warranty and my reel has a serial number of 14717. No effort was made by the company, or sales representatives to correct this rumor. ( still great for sales right)  It really did not matter because well before that the reel had a good solid reputation of a reel that could be fished hard and was not effected by being under water. It was around that time the service kit was introduced. I feel the reel should be serviced at least ounce a year and it appears to be paying off.

The information highway ( internet ) was not in use as it is today. So people spreading rumors could not be verified like today with a click of a button. This was just taken form VS web page:  Reels with a serial number below 7000 have a lifetime service warranty providing they are sent to our Tulsa facility once a year for annual maintenance. All other reels are warranted for 1 year from the original date of purchase

By the way my VS 250 that was made in China and I purchased maybe 12 years ago, still works great like the day I got it. May look beat up, but still works great...:)

Lou

Edited by Lou T

20 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Butch hates when US companies are charging an arm and a leg for products made in China and not rolling the saving from cheap labor to the customer. I won’t be surprised if his underwears are made in China.

Edited by levari

21 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

correct, in the long run, they are all good, lol, as long as the water-proof seals hold up, i guess that is why VS's are so good on the surf scene ,,i just wish my old Crack-300, (which the VS was designed after), was water proof ...

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

15 hours ago, levari said:

Butch hates when US companies are charging an arm and a leg for products made in China and not rolling the saving from cheap labor to the customer. I won’t be surprised if his underwears are made in China.

it just ashame, where the American manufacturing is heading,with all made in china products, i know of MANY who agree with me, not just in the surf fishing community,,,hoping Pres. Trump puts a big enough tax tariff , on all luxury items made in china, such golf clubs, fishing products,  when importing to the US,