Fishy4335

China vs American Van Staal?

47 posts in this topic

I have used both for many years without problems and the only real difference to me between them is the external counter balance weight. The China reels have the counter weight on the outside of the spool and ocassionnally your  line gets wrapped around the counter weight. I prefer the old American internal weight as a result. 

Some of the American made reels have the counterweights on the outside as well. My buddy has a vs100 usa made, outside counter weight. I havent had the issue of the line wrapping around my counterweight.

I have both US, and China made.

the US made have a nicer adonized finish. (Gold reels have a deeper gold).

The US made reels reel a lot more solid, IMO

I own both, don’t see any difference in quality..The issue with US made that you have to send them to OK for service. Local service center won’t take them (as far as I am aware).

32 mins ago, levari said:

I own both, don’t see any difference in quality..The issue with US made that you have to send them to OK for service. Local service center won’t take them (as far as I am aware).

There are plenty of places that will service US made Van staals, also the self service kits will work.

The only American VAn staals that will only have to be serviced in OK are the early models with the round -non Hex side plate. 

A9EB110D-2D14-4BAE-B562-1687706AA7EA.jpeg

1 min ago, BassPD said:

There are plenty of places that will service US made Van staals, also the self service kits will work.

The only American VAn staals that will only have to be serviced in OK are the early models with the round -non Hex side plate. 

A9EB110D-2D14-4BAE-B562-1687706AA7EA.jpeg

I am talking about VanStaak Service centers. There are not too many of those. 

The Van Staal Service Centers can service US made reels.  The China has an improved handle tightened with an allen key whereas the US had the star nut that was always coming loose.  The new one never comes loose.

1 hour ago, RocksMeEasy said:

The Van Staal Service Centers can service US made reels.  The China has an improved handle tightened with an allen key whereas the US had the star nut that was always coming loose.  The new one never comes loose.

I see now that the location was changed from OK to NY. Read the service form. It was OK in the past.

PRODUCT WITH SERIAL NUMBERS BELOW 7000 ARE REQUIRED TO BE RETURNED TO OUR AUTHORIZED SERVICE AND WARRANTY CENTER IN WEST ISLIP, NY FOR SERVICE OR WARRANTY REPAIR:
SALTWATERS TACKLE, 939 MONTAUK HWY, WEST ISLIP, NY 11795, Phone: (631) 539-9422

The American builds are better quality. 

I had 2 Chinese Vs reels with problems. 1 had a bad traverse guide out of the box. I had another lose the side cover with a low impact fall. The only credit that I can give to the Chinese builds are they seem to be slightly smoother. 

The VR series is a whole different story.  More problems with this series compared to the VSX.  

The quality of the AMERICAN BUILT  Penn Torque 2 has VS beat all day long.

Edited by Tagman

38 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Torque 2 - the reel that Alan Hawk hates!

Alan Hawk hates the old Saltist as well and every negative thing  he wrote was not materialized on any of my Saltist after 6 or more years of reliable service in the Mexican surf.