802Striper

Little Compton area

13 posts in this topic

Coming down from VT for a few days (9/21-9/26), staying in Little Compton.

Never been to RI, coming with my 11' and 10' bait runner. Any suggestions where to go for some striper action?

much appreciated!

LC has great water but tough with access.  dannyplug1 is a SOL member who resides in LC - shoot him a PM.

Newport is less than an hour - plenty of access there.  Stop by the Salt Water Edge in middletown for particulars.

Enjoy but be wary of possible big surf.

I scouted that area over the winter and was surprised how limited the access was to the water.  Kinda like Westerly but worse.

Posted (edited)

Bring a bike rigged for fishing, if you have one. 

Or or look at a map and get dropped off at places, if that’s an option. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

With you coming from far away we would like to help you, but the rule is we don't post our spots, if you had 15 posts you could receive PM's.

If you are bait fishing I would stay away from the Horseneck area,unless plugging, mainly shallow/rocky. Fish the calmer waters of the Sakonnet River, look for access starting in Tiverton and  head south. Also as DZ says, over the bridge, Newport is a great option, Saltwater Edge tackle shop is a good starting point.

16 hours ago, 802Striper said:

any ideas for close by? my initial thought was going to Horseneck beach.

If you decide to go to horseneck and hit gooseberry,  you'll lose a pint of blood to mosquitos and be covered in ticks. After dark, bring a buddy so you don't get mugged.

When you get 15 posts, pm me. There are public access spots and good ones. But i wont post them publicly for reasons already mentioned.

5 hours ago, bdowning said:

When you get 15 posts, pm me. There are public access spots and good ones. But i wont post them publicly for reasons already mentioned.

Could you please PM me with the good public access spots in L.C. also. There might be one I missed.

Thanks guys. plan is to do mostly plugging and I have jigs as well(I go to the CCC as often as I can). I also have a live-liner for chunk baits. planning to hit the CCC with my canal bike at least 1 morning. Newport area sounds like the ticket for me. Because of the full moon I do plan on running some eels at night as well.