Best peanut bunker imitations

7 posts in this topic

This time of year there’s certainly no shortage of small peanut bunker in the cape cod area and I was wondering what lures people use to best Mach the hatch I know epoxy jigs work good for bonito and Albies but what about stripers and blues any suggestions?

Cary has started a number of threads related to various prey species and how to effectively work them.

Here's the (long, but they are all long) bunker thread:

Both the Hogy 1.25 & 2 oz peanut bunker protail and Hogy 1 & 2 oz peanut bunker jig work well. 

I also do well in some locations with various tins and small bucktails when peanuts are around. 

Bucktails (sometimes without trailers) and Tsunami or Storm swim shads. I’ve also taken plenty of fish on smaller yellow metal lip swimmers when the peanuts are around

Swim shads are a good stand by, although I rarely fish them, I prefer a small flaptail on a 1/2 oz jighead. I've also seen rattletraps produce in these circumstances.

I use the Storm shads. I usually fish a lure that's a few inches bigger than the bait to try and go after the bigger fish. I sometimes use a small bucktail or a Point Jude metal with the keel on the bottom.

7 hours ago, 67 said:

This time of year there’s certainly no shortage of small peanut bunker in the cape cod area and I was wondering what lures people use to best Mach the hatch I know epoxy jigs work good for bonito and Albies but what about stripers and blues any suggestions?

There even called Peanut Bunker

P9060149.JPG