Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shipwreck

Fluke Regulation Question

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So for the most part NJ did not have a have a very good end to the season in regards to weather.  Most could not get out for weeks.

Does that factor in how they calculate how many fluke were taken?

In other words; if we only get a certain amount of days and a significant portion of those days are unfishable, does that change the data outcome of how much we 'harvested'?

Edited by Shipwreck

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

So for the most part NJ did not have a have a very good end to the season in regards to weather.  Most could not get out for weeks.

Does that factor in how they calculate how many fluke were taken?

In other words; if we only get a certain amount of days and a significant portion of those days are unfishable, does that change the data outcome of how much we 'harvested'?

You make perfect logical sense.  Unfortunately NJ does not.  I hope it works to the fisherman's favor.

Posted (edited)

So as far as the data goes, when they take into account how many fish were caught in September, they ignore the fact that only a small percentage of that number they are including into our quota were physically impossible to have been caught.

smh  Its all bull ****.

Edited by Shipwreck

Recreational fishing catch data is collected via NOAA's Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP. You can read more about how MRIP works here, but in short, it relies on a system of surveys (in-person at docks and shore fishing sites, telephone and mail surveys and via Vessel Trip Reports, or VTRs, completed by federally-permitted for-hire charter boats and party boats) and extrapolating based on the data collected through those surveys. As such, the decreased effort due to bum weather over the last few weeks should be reflected in the surveys and thus included in this year's data. 

Gotcha.

So it comes back to the integrity of the data.  I know I would be honest if I ever was surveyed, but I live in Mercer County so according to MRIP I dont exist.

Anyone here ever surveyed?

Never been surveyed and I live on eastern Long Island , kept my boat in a marina , fish a lot of weekends and transit both Shinnecock canal and inlet. Between myself , my two brothers and my father what passed away in April we have over 100 YEARS of fishing Shinnecock and none of us has been contacted. The science sucks

6 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Never been surveyed and I live on eastern Long Island , kept my boat in a marina , fish a lot of weekends and transit both Shinnecock canal and inlet. Between myself , my two brothers and my father what passed away in April we have over 100 YEARS of fishing Shinnecock and none of us has been contacted. The science sucks

I myself can be considered more than just a casual angler and I have never heard of anyone or seen anyone or even anecdotally that has been surveyed.  These are politicians trying to limit how much fish we can take and using total bull **** to come up with rules.  And there is not a single person that could dissuade me otherwise.

Fake ****ing news.

6 hours ago, pakalolo said:

On Sept. 24, at 2:00, at the DEC office at 205 Belle Meade Road in East Setauket, NMFS folks  who work with MRIP will address the Marine Resources Advisory Council and any folks in the audience, and explain how the program works.  It's a great chance for anyone with doubts about the validity of the numbers to come, listen and perhaps express their doubts to the presenters, and give the presenters an opportunity to reply.

Thanks Charlie , out of the country at that time. I have been in contact with a NMFS person involved in the data collection for the MRIP and was led to believe they would have someo in my area LAST year , needless to say that didn’t happen , ditto this season. 

23 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Thanks Charlie , out of the country at that time. I have been in contact with a NMFS person involved in the data collection for the MRIP and was led to believe they would have someo in my area LAST year , needless to say that didn’t happen , ditto this season. 

They are out there, even if you aren't running into them.  Dispatches are all randomly generated by computer, based on an algorithm that considers fishing activity, etc., but I know that folks are covering the East End.  The DEC supervises the surveyors now, and they've hired folks who are familiar with our local fisheries, so just keep looking over your shoulder--you may meet one of the surveyors yet.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, CWitek said:

They are out there, even if you aren't running into them.  Dispatches are all randomly generated by computer, based on an algorithm that considers fishing activity, etc., but I know that folks are covering the East End.  The DEC supervises the surveyors now, and they've hired folks who are familiar with our local fisheries, so just keep looking over your shoulder--you may meet one of the surveyors yet.

I get surveyed nearly every day I fish.  I fish out of Star Island in Montauk. Everybody that fishes out of there at least gets asked when a surveyor is there. They are always at the Montauk marinas.  Been that way for years.  I too question the validity of the data but the surveyers are out there.

B39F9063-AAF2-412B-B4D4-F192AB84BB9C.jpeg