bobtheflounder

Pseudo full frame reel?

10 posts in this topic

So I was just thinking, what if you put an o ring around the end of your fly reel frame and threaded your line in between it and drag knob side of the frame, wouldn't this prevent your running line from getting trapped in between the frame edge and the spool? Has anybody tried this before and did it work?

8 hours ago, Local66 said:

They still make full cage reels. I don't see how an O ring could do anything other than cause more problems.

Yes, but machining a full cage reel is more expensive, plus they aren't so good at the sand. With a half frame reel there are places for the sand to get pushed out, but at the same time let in line. I fish Danielssons so I know first hand how annoying it is. using an O ring would allow your reel to be more versatile, I think. 

58 mins ago, bobtheflounder said:

Yes, but machining a full cage reel is more expensive, plus they aren't so good at the sand. With a half frame reel there are places for the sand to get pushed out, but at the same time let in line. I fish Danielssons so I know first hand how annoying it is. using an O ring would allow your reel to be more versatile, I think. 

What supports the O ring? Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

14 mins ago, Local66 said:

What supports the O ring? Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

asdf.PNG.6bae783f16ec387f4d6b4d49ade5a9f1.PNG

It would sit on that ridge and then seal off against the spool, although I think you're right, it would be pretty easy to move because of the friction. Maybe not an o ring but some stiffer material in two semicircles that would snap together? 

Maybe an o-ring if you seated the o-ring inside the spool groove that the reel 'frame' supports ride in. But as you are saying it, to place the o-ring against the frame rather than spool, I don't see how it would stay. 

I think he is trying to alleviate the issue of his line getting caught between the frame and spool. Which I will say, has never happened to me. I fish one open frame and one full frame reel. Neither have problems. I guess if I dunked the full frame in sandy water it may get crunchy but a revolution or two underwater would clear that out. 

2 hours ago, capefish4231 said:

I think he is trying to alleviate the issue of his line getting caught between the frame and spool. Which I will say, has never happened to me. I fish one open frame and one full frame reel. Neither have problems. I guess if I dunked the full frame in sandy water it may get crunchy but a revolution or two underwater would clear that out. 

My experience mirrors yours, I’ve fished with several open frame reels since the mid nineties, the only time my line gets stuck is when replacing a spool and the line has some big loops and one gets in the way. Maybe a reel that is made with very loose tolerances and big gaps would be a problem.

JC

21 hours ago, JonC said:

My experience mirrors yours, I’ve fished with several open frame reels since the mid nineties, the only time my line gets stuck is when replacing a spool and the line has some big loops and one gets in the way. Maybe a reel that is made with very loose tolerances and big gaps would be a problem.

JC

If you fish running lines it inevitably happens.