bobtheflounder

Pseudo full frame reel?

14 posts in this topic

So I was just thinking, what if you put an o ring around the end of your fly reel frame and threaded your line in between it and drag knob side of the frame, wouldn't this prevent your running line from getting trapped in between the frame edge and the spool? Has anybody tried this before and did it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O-rings are cheap.  Try it.  I’ve not tried that, but a piece of tape works in a pinch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  They still make full cage reels. I don't see how an O ring could do anything other than cause more problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Local66 said:

 

  They still make full cage reels. I don't see how an O ring could do anything other than cause more problems.

Yes, but machining a full cage reel is more expensive, plus they aren't so good at the sand. With a half frame reel there are places for the sand to get pushed out, but at the same time let in line. I fish Danielssons so I know first hand how annoying it is. using an O ring would allow your reel to be more versatile, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, bobtheflounder said:

Yes, but machining a full cage reel is more expensive, plus they aren't so good at the sand. With a half frame reel there are places for the sand to get pushed out, but at the same time let in line. I fish Danielssons so I know first hand how annoying it is. using an O ring would allow your reel to be more versatile, I think. 

  What supports the O ring? Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Local66 said:

  What supports the O ring? Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

asdf.PNG.6bae783f16ec387f4d6b4d49ade5a9f1.PNG

It would sit on that ridge and then seal off against the spool, although I think you're right, it would be pretty easy to move because of the friction. Maybe not an o ring but some stiffer material in two semicircles that would snap together? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand the problem, what are you trying to fix?

JC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe an o-ring if you seated the o-ring inside the spool groove that the reel 'frame' supports ride in. But as you are saying it, to place the o-ring against the frame rather than spool, I don't see how it would stay. 

 

I think he is trying to alleviate the issue of his line getting caught between the frame and spool. Which I will say, has never happened to me. I fish one open frame and one full frame reel. Neither have problems. I guess if I dunked the full frame in sandy water it may get crunchy but a revolution or two underwater would clear that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, capefish4231 said:

I think he is trying to alleviate the issue of his line getting caught between the frame and spool. Which I will say, has never happened to me. I fish one open frame and one full frame reel. Neither have problems. I guess if I dunked the full frame in sandy water it may get crunchy but a revolution or two underwater would clear that out. 

My experience mirrors yours, I’ve fished with several open frame reels since the mid nineties, the only time my line gets stuck is when replacing a spool and the line has some big loops and one gets in the way. Maybe a reel that is made with very loose tolerances and big gaps would be a problem.

JC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JonC said:

My experience mirrors yours, I’ve fished with several open frame reels since the mid nineties, the only time my line gets stuck is when replacing a spool and the line has some big loops and one gets in the way. Maybe a reel that is made with very loose tolerances and big gaps would be a problem.

JC

1

If you fish running lines it inevitably happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using anything to be a fix for this problem is just treating the symptoms.

 

I doubt that there would be room to fit an O ring. If there was it would be one hell of a badly a badly designed reel with a very loose fit.

 

The issue lies in the manufacture of the reel. The fit between the two stubs that engage with the spool needs to be very good.  But the closer the fit the more costly it is to manufacture .

 

I lost two decent fish in the spring when two loops of running line unbeknown to me wrapped around the bottom one jamming the reel.

 

ok some contributory  factors were down to me in that I had not fully screwed on the spool. But with this reel at any rate there are some issues.

 

Changing spools it’s well possible to get a loop. 

 

 

We can argue it should not happen but is does on some reels from time from time to time.

 

I like full cage reels but apart from some Lamsons who makes them anymore.

 

I like lightweight gear but is there a significant weight difference between the two designs.

 

Any particular brand of reel that has these probs?

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

55 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

The issue lies in the manufacture of the reel. The fit between the two stubs that engage with the spool needs to be very good.  But the closer the fit the more costly it is to manufacture .

Tolerances for current machinery is no  problem.  But the problem is when you have a lot of drag and/or you crank with big firce, you distort the frame. If you have a very tight fit the spool will have a contact with the real frame. That is why the gap needs to be there. And the gap needs to be even bigger in closed cage reel since the biggest movement happens on the front of the reel.

 

I’ve just used some tape when using thin competition shooting lines for example. And if contact happens, it is metal to tape which isn’t as bad as metal to metal.

Edited by sms
Added missing letter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SMS

 

Agree tolerances should not be a problem with CNC but not many reels,run dead true even then. The tolerances can build,up and can be all on the limits.

 

Thanks for the explanation. It is much clearer to me now  what can happen.

 

Mind I,wish I needed a lot of drag. LOL

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Danielson or however you spell it reels are full frame, and some of the Loop reels are as well. 

 

I've had great luck with my lamson. One of the huge advantages between the Remix, Remix HD, and the Liquid (my model) is that the spools are all interchangeable between the same size. 

 

I'll be picking up at least an HD reel this winter if not the whole 3-pack (reel+2 spare spools + pouch) as a second TH reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.