Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guzz

what's the deal with tica reels?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

i bought a libra off of tim about a year ago.first time i used it was river fishing for musky.third cast bail closes.bye bye bottle plug.five or six casts after that,bail closes,bye bye metal lipped swimmer.went back to the truck grabbed a shimano and fished the rest of the day with out a problem.the reel sat for a couple of months collecting dust.next ,and last outing for this reel was a trip at the hook.blues were out pretty far,so we were throwing tins to reach them.we were out on the tip,so walking back to get another reel wasn't an option at this point.what a miserable outing.i couldn't load the rod,or the bail would close and send yet another tin off into the sunrise.needless to say,i go rid of the reel.i traded it for another from a memeber here,but explained to him before hand the problems i had with it.he had plans to make it bailess so the closing problem wasn't a factor.

not to long ago i did a trade for yet another tica.this time a camry.though i'd give them one more shot.i went out tonight to do alittle walleye fishing.in an hours time i had six bail closures.one of which resulted in me snapping off a jigman swimmer mad.gif to say i'm a bit steamed is an understatement.what the hell gives with these reels? i have never had a problem will the bail closing on any of my other reels.if it's just my rotten casting form,well,so be it,but in any case,these reels serve little more purpose for me than an expensive papper weight.am i the only one who is experiencing this problem with tica reels?

guzz

... i had the same problem with my first Libra (i think it was 4000)... got rid of it in 2 weeks... a week later got a gift from a friend - Libra 3500... used it a lot last season for Weakfish... no problems so far... go figure... confused.gif

I have a Dolphin .... had it for a month maybe before I lost the screw that holds the bail in place one night fishing the jetty ... gotta a new screw (Diawa) and have had no trouble since.

TimS did an extensive thread about this a while back; his solution was to rotate the the bail cup around a certain way redface.gif so that momentum won't turn the cup when you cast.

If ya wanna sell the reel, shoot me a PM.

Daiwa came out with a bail locking feature on their Hardbodyz series.Capricorn is one of them.Some guys on this site are using them.do a search and see what has been said. I just picked up the Team Daiwa Advantage 4500S in this series and have not used it yet. looks like a winner. will post my opinions over time.

Yup - I had the same problem with my Libra frown.gif . I removed the bail wire, but didn't like the results. I wound up disabling the auto trip & now it's one of my favorites.

the whole story

If you're interested in the details of the procedure, let me know. I did this awhile ago, so I'd have to open up the reel again to refresh my memory.

It's not uncommon with a smooth reel ad a weak bail spring. I never use the auto trip anyway and like a bails, so I disable any problem bail resulting in a manual bail that never flops.

If you must fish with a bail remove the auto trip, even if it means taking a hacksaw and file to the reel stem like on a Penn SS or Ahab, and close the bail manually. What I like to do with all my spinners, bail or not, is pack the inners with Mobil 1 red synthetic auto wheel bearing grease.It makes your reel 99% waterproof and adds enough resistance that inertia handle spin is a thing of the past regardless of handle position when you cast. Take a spatula and pack it full until it oozes out the sidecover when you tighten the screws. Crank the handle like 100 times, wipe any excess that comes out the mainshaft or handle, and you're good to go. Try it, your reels AND plugs will thank you for it...

biggrin.gif

I used my Camry for 2 seasons w/o any bail problems, until the folding handle decided it did not want to stay locked in place any more. Sent it to Tica and they seant back a brand new reel and the bail on closes. My solution is to make sure that the bail is always parallel to the ground when I open it to cast. I also like to close the bail manually and I will look into disabling the bail's auto-close - great idea.

Please tell me that this is not a problem on the Taurus????The reels in my price range are few and I want to put one on my GSB 1201L (Saltheart wink.gif )

Nothjing wrong with those reels except that they are "too smooth" because of their much ball bearings design..

I asked the same questio about a year ago and we all had a great thread about it.. The answer is "with all smooth reels" like the Tica you must incorporate a extra small manual proceedure before the cast and push the bail rotor all the way till it stops.. Thats all there is to it.. "Never" had one close on me after I did that.

If I use the factory handle, my Abu 7000C3 dumps out of freespool and makes an awful screeching sound followed by a snap and no more plug. I either have to make sure the crank end of the handle is heading for the rod tip or use a good balanced handle (old Penn Squidder). Anyone else ever have this problem? ........and you spinning guys thought you were the only ones who had trouble.

AJ,

i did that.and though it cuts down on the closures,it does not eleaviate the problem all together.it still closes once in awhile.plus i don't think one should have to do this on any reel.it is a flaw in the design in my opinion.if it's just a case of a weak bail spring,why don't they put in a stiffer one? i always close my bails by hand.seems like to much punishment on a reels inards to slam it shut by rotating the handle.so,would any one be kind enough to try to explain to a not so mechanically inclined individual how to go about disabling the auto trip? the reel cast beautifully,and is very smooth,so i would like to be able to fish with it without feeling the need to smash it off the side of a bridge every time it sends a plug flying off into the wild blue yonder.any help would be very much appreciated.thanks.

guzz