Marty

Nissan Xterra Are they good 4x4

23 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

Even though it's you I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you're looking at one get a 2010+.  Prior to 2010 on the second gens the trans cooler that is built into the radiator would leak and take out the transmission.  You can bypass the cooler on them but then you're gonna overheat it. You can put a new radiator in too to fix it but my opinion is get one that isnt susceptible to the issue and not worry. 

I've put 50k on mine in under 2 years. Taken it on the sand and she handles soft sugar amazing, no struggle at all, couldnt say the same for my 04 grand cherokee. 

I've had 0 issues pretty much, had a cam sensor go out that took 20 min and $50 to replace. I put a 2" lift and some 33s on mine. I have a 2010 off-road/pro-4x. I have 160k miles on mine. 

As was stated, the timing chain guides are plastic but itll start whining pretty good when they are going out. Other than the guides these motors are bulletproof in my opinion. There is a different variation of the VQ motor used across many Nissan platforms. 

Good info.  Thank you. Marty D 

i think mitsubishi and toyota r better at those type of vehicles

nissan is goodest at GTR

I’ve got a 2012 with a couple hundred sand miles on it. No issues. Clearance isn’t great. Next tire change I’m going to put a 2.5” lift and larger tires to help accommodate, but I don’t need much. Hatteras sand gets deep and soft in some places. Other than that, I have no complaints for a beach vehicle. 

18 mins ago, TreednNC said:

I’ve got a 2012 with a couple hundred sand miles on it. No issues. Clearance isn’t great. Next tire change I’m going to put a 2.5” lift and larger tires to help accommodate, but I don’t need much. Hatteras sand gets deep and soft in some places. Other than that, I have no complaints for a beach vehicle. 

I did a 2" lift and 285s and it rides amazing, better than the stock worn out stuff, not rough at all.  Rides 4x better than our stock low miles 2014 4 door wrangler.  She glided along the sand down in hatteras

On 9/14/2018 at 3:21 PM, kurazy kracka said:

I did a 2" lift and 285s and it rides amazing, better than the stock worn out stuff, not rough at all.  Rides 4x better than our stock low miles 2014 4 door wrangler.  She glided along the sand down in hatteras

What tires did you use?

Ive wondered how they handle on the beach as well. I recently picked up a 2006 offroad package xterra that had all of the common issues addressed, but its never been on sand. as for other off-roading and poor terrain it has delivered (albeit at 16mpg average). Curious to see other people experiences with them on sand.