Marty

Nissan Xterra Are they good 4x4

23 posts in this topic

2015 was last year made. The 2012 got reviews—-overrated and overpriced junk)-  how are the 2015 ?

You realize there are other forums dedicated to specific topics, right? I'm not telling you what to do by any means. Just suggesting questions like this get good answers in the Beach Buggy Forum. Questions about shingles shots go elsewhere such as the Tavern. The Main here has typically always been dedicated to all things fishing related. :howdy:

Tell you what, if Marty hasn't already re-started this in the Beach Buggy Forum (I'll go see), I'll move the thread. 

47 mins ago, bospa357 said:

No. Why not just start them in the right forums to begin with? Again, do whatever you want. 

Thanks for moving. Marty D 

35 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Tell you what, if Marty hasn't already re-started this in the Beach Buggy Forum (I'll go see), I'll move the thread. 

You move it. Thanks. 

The old V6 engines were absolutely fantastic.  Having said this, after my disaster experience with a 4 cylinder Altima, I would never purchase another Nissan EVER !!

Plastic timing chain guides which would fail and cause catastrophic failure if not caught or handled properly during failure...seen it happen one to many times.  Will know the guide is going once u hear the trademark whine.  Other than that, absolutely fantastic vehicle to beat around...

Posted (edited)

Even though it's you I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you're looking at one get a 2010+.  Prior to 2010 on the second gens the trans cooler that is built into the radiator would leak and take out the transmission.  You can bypass the cooler on them but then you're gonna overheat it. You can put a new radiator in too to fix it but my opinion is get one that isnt susceptible to the issue and not worry. 

I've put 50k on mine in under 2 years. Taken it on the sand and she handles soft sugar amazing, no struggle at all, couldnt say the same for my 04 grand cherokee. 

I've had 0 issues pretty much, had a cam sensor go out that took 20 min and $50 to replace. I put a 2" lift and some 33s on mine. I have a 2010 off-road/pro-4x. I have 160k miles on mine. 

As was stated, the timing chain guides are plastic but itll start whining pretty good when they are going out. Other than the guides these motors are bulletproof in my opinion. There is a different variation of the VQ motor used across many Nissan platforms. 

Edited by kurazy kracka

25 mins ago, maltc said:

Don't get that. Ever seen the toyota FJ cruiser? That's my dream 4x4 someday!

If you dont need a usable backseat and 4 doors then its solid. 

6 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

Even though it's you I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you're looking at one get a 2010+.  Prior to 2010 on the second gens the trans cooler that is built into the radiator would leak and take out the transmission.  You can bypass the cooler on them but then you're gonna overheat it. You can put a new radiator in too to fix it but my opinion is get one that isnt susceptible to the issue and not worry. 

I've put 50k on mine in under 2 years. Taken it on the sand and she handles soft sugar amazing, no struggle at all, couldnt say the same for my 04 grand cherokee. 

I've had 0 issues pretty much, had a cam sensor go out that took 20 min and $50 to replace. I put a 2" lift and some 33s on mine. I have a 2010 off-road/pro-4x. I have 160k miles on mine. 

As was stated, the timing chain guides are plastic but itll start whining pretty good when they are going out. Other than the guides these motors are bulletproof in my opinion. There is a different variation of the VQ motor used across many Nissan platforms. 

Exactly...