The Riddler

Do you think increasing comm bass days is a good idea for a slow bass year?

33 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

whats a ersatz?

Fake.

Or not legitimate.

One reason they want the increase in days is to make sure that next years quota does not decrease for commercial fishing. At least that was my understanding in the reasoning. .

One can say without equivocation the numbers are down and for what ever the reason , it does not appear any one is to concerned as to why. They just increased the amount of poaching between days for sure. 

The comments:

Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:29 AM
To: Fish, Marine (FWE)
Subject: Comments on the proposed commercial striped bass open fishing days
Please consider opening the commercial striped bass fishery on a weekend day. Possibly bringing back the 5 fish
Sundays.
Having only weekdays is eliminating many of us who commercially fish, but also hold other full time jobs.
My name is Mike Delzingo and I own and operate the 32 foot Fishbucket out of Boston.
I commercially fish for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Groundfish, Tuna and Sharks. I hold a Massachusetts commercial boat
permit, Federal handgear permits for groundfish, tilefish, wahoo, mahi, mackerel, as well as limited access shark permits.
I also charter fish for Striped bass, Bluefish and flounder an average of 25 charters per year. All while holding a full time
job Monday through Friday.
I ask you to please consider those of us who commercially fish quite a bit, but aren't strictly FULL-TIME "weekday only"
commercial fishermen.
Allow us greater access to participate in the commercial fishery and land our entire quota by opening the commercial
striped bass fishery on the weekends.
Thank you for your consideration,
Capt. Mike Delzingo
Fishbucket Sportfishing
Boston, Ma.
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:53 PM
Subject: Bass quota
I believe that adding two days makes the most sense seeing as we are now in hurricane season. It will allow
more possible days to reach the quota. This week alone we've already missed one day. The size of the fish have
also been much smaller then the past years.
Which grately affects the fish we're able to keep as a commercial fisherman.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:55 AM
To: Silva, Jared (FWE)
Subject: FW: Commercial striped bass fishing
From: Brunn Delany '21 [mailto:bdelany@brunswickschool.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:49 AM
Subject: Commercial striped bass fishing
Hello,
My name is Koo Delany and I am an avid fisherman and personally LOVE to consume striped bass. I see why
you are trying to allow the commercial fisherman to catch the quota while they still can, but it is not right.
These fish are a prized gamefish in most peoples mind so we should make them a gamefish and slow down the
commercial fishing on these fish. Something that you should consider for the next few years is to make a slot
limit and reduce the quota. These fish bring in more revenue as a gamefish then they ever will as a
commercially harvested species. These fish take a long time to mature and it is incredibly ignorant and plain
stupid to have the commercial fisherman kill the adults of the species that are reproducing. Make a slot where
the top of the slot is now 34 inches. If the quota was cut down and there was a slot limit made for as little as 5
years then the striped bass population would bounce back like that have before. I know that you will probably
disregard this email but it is incredibly frustrating that we are killing fish and allowing more time to kill them
when they are obviously struggling and depleting. Studies have shown that in recent years, due to the
commercial fisheries, that there are less and less larger fish despite having more and more small fish around.
CUT THE QUOTA OFF AND CHANGE THE LIMITS IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THESE STRIPED BASS
AROUND FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.
Sorry for the harsh email but it is time to wake up and do the right thing for the fishery instead of what will help
make commercial fisherman money.
Koo Delany
Koo Delany '21
Brunswick School
(203) 554-2393
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:34 PM
Subject: Proposal to increase # of commercial bass days
I cannot believe you are actually considering this!
Striped Bass fishing is in a decline, poaching is rampant , commercial bass days are a damn circus at the ramps and on
the water!!
Get your **** together and work towards eliminating commercial bass fishing, not catering to a group that for many is
only supplemental income.
Rob Tartaglia
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:27 PM
Subject: Striped Bass in Mass
Was reading the article how fisherman in Massachusetts are struggling catching striped bass and the quota isn’t filled
yet. I think the ABSOLUTE WORST idea is to give them extra days to hit the quota. If they are struggling to meet the
quota this year wouldn’t that lead you to think that striped bass aren’t as plentiful as they have been in the past.
I live in Rye, NH and have been fishing up there since I was roughly 12 years old. I am 34 years old now. Myself and
everyone else I know in the NH area has been complaining the past 5 ++ years that we don’t see the striped bass up
there that we did some 10 ++ years ago. I used to be able to catch countless keepers every summer (32+ inches years
ago, 28 inches now) and year by year they get tougher and tougher to catch. There is still lots of schoolies always around
in NH but the big stripers we used to see up there aren’t around anymore like they once were. I have had friends close
up their charter businesses due to the lack of big striped bass in NH.
So rather than giving Massachusetts more days how about shrinking the days in years going forward so that large striped
bass can start to make their way up to NH again. The stripers get stopped before they even have the chance to go to NH.
What is even worse about the commercial stripper fishing in Massachusetts is that I know lots of dead stripers get
thrown back, dead. If the limit is 30 a day per boat well at the end of the day when guys are catching 40 inch fish they
are throwing back the 32 inch fish which are dead already since the 40 inchers obviously land them more money.
Massachusetts is killing the stripper population in Northern Waters and hopefully sooner or later the Marine Fisheries
will realize this and put a stop to it before stripers aren’t even in Mass waters.
Disclaimer
The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and
others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in
Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in;
Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:14 PM
Subject: Bass
I think there should be no netting of bass at all in any state on the coast line
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:10 PM
Subject: Increase commercial fishing days
Absolutely not
For all kind of reasons
Preserve our treasure for future generations
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:53 PM
Subject: Commercial striped bass 2018
Stop the slaughter before there are no bass to be caught on cape cod.More than half the fleet has been gaffing short fish
and killing them before throwing back. They have no clue how these fish reproduce nor care about stocks. This fishery is
in jeopardy and couldn’t be spelled out clearer now than ever. Please take a moment and think of the situation before
allowing additional days of commercial striped bass fishing.
Concerned fishermen.
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:46 PM
Subject: Stripebass quota
As a member of a cape cod fly fishing club this has been the worst year for our club for catching large bass so now with
the commercial fishermen having the same problem maybe it’s time to rethink the quota before all the breeders are
wiped out. Leave the quota alone and the number of fishing days the same. Make the adjustments next year. Rick Enz
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:22 PM
Subject: Striped bass Quota
Just a thought for next striped bass commercial season. Raise the limit for the shore guys from 2 fish to 3-5 fish.
Raise our license fee to $100-$125 for the season. I know you probably get tons of emails about this but let's put
the guys that are limited to certain areas on an even playing field.
Thanks for reading this.
Willam West
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:45 PM
Subject: Striped bass. Is this a harbinger of a downward spiral? Perhaps you should consider
lowering the quota
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:39 PM
Subject: Striped bass commercial days
Not being able to meet the states striped bass quota this season is a sign that the fishery is in decline(we killed to many
breeders) the fishery need more fish 34”+ to keep breeding for the future. Not more commercial days which just
remove more of this breeding stock from the biomass. Do not add more commercial days, and reduce the 2019 quota
to the total catch in 2019. Hopefully you do this and ensure that we are able to have a commercial season in 2025 on.
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:26 AM
Subject: Extending striped bass commercial season
Extending a pointless commercial season on an already over pressured fish species, that is worth far more in the
recreational sector, is a horrible idea. Furthermore, this may be a sign that regulations need to be looked at, and made
more restrictive. Make striped bass a gamefish and end commercial fishing of striped bass all together. It worked very
well for fish in the south.
Evan Weeden
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:32 PM
Subject: Striped bass
I think you should administer a slot limit for commercial bass : 28‐40”.
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:17 PM
Subject: Commercial striped bass
No way should we increase commercial days
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:00 PM
Subject: Commercial fishing condoned?
To whom it may concern,
There is a huge concern! I am not a resident of this state nor have I fished or harvested in your waters but in Maryland
the same exact issue is being seen. It’s simple, you are taking and have been taking thousands of big breeders out of the
waters each year, well sure enough your going to run out. It’s literally so simple a damn 1st grader could do the math. If
you have so many cookies in the jar and you keep eating them, eventually there all gone. The smaller fish that will
eventually become your quota fish will prob not make it to those stages after be pounded by recreational and
commercial fisheries in MD, VA, DE, and so forth. Yes some do make it there but the population is taking steps
backwards. To put it this way we are double ****ing the striped bass population until we go into the inevitable
moratorium.
So I’ll leave it with this, please think wisely about your decisions regarding the quota. Leave the few big breeders in the
water to have a chance at helping the population. These matters are pressing and truly depressing knowing that my
favorite fishery in my backyard is going to **** because we can’t find a way thru ASMFC or any of the costal states to take
initiative to protect this vital resource. Set an example for the rest of the states, maybe if we can make smarter decisions
as a whole we would see healthy stocks and not have to have these endless debates and political night mares.
Sincerely,
Every Angler
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:15 PM
Subject: Commercial fisherman/extension
I think this is an awful idea maybe they can not fill there quota because there are not enough large striped bass
to catch.
This fishery is under tremendous pressure ... poaching is rampant enforcement is pathetic to say the least On top
of that environmental issues and disease also pressure the fishery.
Let Hope you guys do the right thing and protect the fishery and focus on long term..let's not revisit the 80s
when striped bass fishery collapsed.
Sincerely
John Tombros
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:54 PM
Subject: DON'T increase commercial days
Please DON'T increase commercial days. For numerous reasons. Thank you!
Jordan Brainson
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:48 AM
Subject: RE: commercial striper season
The fact that the commercial fishermen can't fill their quota is another obvious sign that stripers are currently being
overfished, i.e., there are less commercially-sized, breeding age stripers to be caught. Fishing technology improves every
year - especially fish finders (side-finding & even live imaging in front of the boat) and radar to locate flocks of birds.
Despite the many improvements every year in fish locating & catching tools, the ability to catch is declining because of the
obvious lack of large market sized fish.
The only good news is that we've been lucky enough to have a few good striper spawn years (despite the agricultural runoff
into spawning bays) which has resulted in new crops of micro stripers. Again, we need the few breeders that are left to
keep breeding to ensure more stripers in the future. This is just common sense.
Expanding the commercial season now could result in a "tragedy of the commons" scenario. In case you don't know what
that is, I googled it for you: The tragedy of the commons is a term used in social science to describe a situation in a
shared-resource system where individual users acting independently according to their own self-interest behave contrary
to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling that resource through their collective action.
I've been fishing in Mass for 40 years. I've seen the 80's when the striper population completely crashed and the only
inshore sportfish was bluefish. Since then, I've seen the striper fishing rebound fantastically thanks to 1984 Striped Bass
Conservation Act because the states couldn't regulate themselves independently (another example of "tragedy of the
commons"). Later, the striped bass moratorium once the states started regulating striper populations. The peak striper
poplulation that I saw was 2007 and it's been steadily dropping since then.
We have a real chance here not to do something that will hurt the population of breeding stripers further, avoid a "tragedy
of the commons", maintain the future good population of small stripers, and enable some commercial & rec harvest in
future years.
As you know, the striper population is naturally cyclical. Fishery managers can help modulate this cycling, but they can't
control it entirely. Stripers are in an obvious decline. Let's make sure that the 80's don't return ever again. Let's work for
the common good. Trying to squeeze out 800,000 lbs out of a fishery that clearly can't support it, isn't doing the rec or
comm fleet any good. If there are no stripers to catch at all, everyone will suffer. This is not hyperbole, it happened in the
80's and it can happen again with poor management practices.
Please do not expand the quota or comm fishing days.
Sincerely,
Jon Parsons
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:43 AM
Subject: Fishing quota
Being 61 years old, I can remember the days of fishing and actually catching something. That being said, the commercial
fishing industry has screwed everyone and made a profit by doing it. Now that the price of fish has skyrocketed at the
supermarket, supply and demand issue, that tells me the supply is lower than the demand.
If you want your kids to have a great day fishing with dad, you had better catch more than a sea robin, otherwise the
memory will be lost. Who do you think will get blamed for that?
We spend a ton of money on bait and tackle and find out that going to the supermarket was a lot cheaper, who’s fault is
that?
When the fish habitat is destroyed from overfishing and dragging, who do we blame?
Have you ever seen a dolphin, whale, or seal caught up in a net?
How much of the commercial catch is shipped overseas? Did you forget that that fish belongs to Americans or do we
have the 200 mile limit for no reason? Now, because the fish belong to us, why do commercial fishermen make a profit
selling the catch to another country, and the price for us goes up as a result of lower supply?
There are a multitude of reasons to cut back on an industry that has wasted our natural resources, so why bother the
professionals like yourselves on how to regulate the fishing industry. We did not tell the commercial fishermen to buy
bigger and better boats to catch more fish., so that’s on them. As a result of overfishing, it seems the consumer will flip
that tab at the marketplace. It is only fair the industry flips the tab for repairing what they destroyed. As a citizen, if
there was a vote on what to do, I would vote to put things back the way they were 50 years or better ago. Who do you
work for, the commercial fishing industry or us?
Have a great day fishing,
Stephen D. Ivester
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:20 AM
Subject: STRIPED BASS QUOTAS
Thank you for the opportunity to voice opinions.
I dont think the quotas should be increased. As is the case with all wildlife, I believe there are natural wane
periods; this being the year for Stripers. If the quotas are increased, the schoolies will be inadvertently caught
and killed. Next year may be worse. Leave it alone. Let nature take its course.
Christine Hollis
8 Poplar Terrace
Andover, MA 01810
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:05 AM
Subject: Striped bass
I personally think the fishery is in trouble I have commercial fished for a number of years the decline in the
larger bass just shows that the species is being over fished I believe the season should be closed or the already
desamated school will continue to decline stop comm bass fishing let the schools recover make it a recreational
species only
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:44 AM
Subject: Striped Bass Commercial Fishing
To Whom it May Concern,
As an avid fisherman and MA citizen I am deeply concerned by your recent statement release. The fact that the
commercial quota was not met this summer is a clear sign of what many in our community have been stating for years;
our striped bass population is being overfished. This needs to end and the people of MA deserve better management of
our fisheries. If anything the quota should be cut in half to allow for more breeding fish to grow and add to the
population.
Thank you,
Tyler McPherson
Boston, MA
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:45 AM
Cc: Pierce, David (FWE); McKiernan, Dan (FWE)
Subject: Comments regarding Increasing Open Days for Commercial Striped Bass Fishing
DMF -
Regarding the Division's decision to open the Mass commercial striped bass fishery for additional
days to give participants in the fishery more opportunity to meet the 2018 quota before the migration
gets underway, I would urge you to reconsider.
The striped bass fishery has been in decline in recent years and the commercial take this year
appears to be focused on taking fish of the 2011 year class-the year class on which the ASMFC's
hopes seem to be pinned.
I know the uncaught portion of the quota will be rolled into 2019, but consider that the fish (nearly all
of which are breeding sized females) uncaught by the Mass fleet this year stand a chance to run
the gauntlet back to the Chesapeake where they can spawn next spring. If additional open days
are added every fish caught will be removed from participation in the 2019 YOY spawn.
Beside the fact that the slow pace of the 2018 catch suggests the fishery is not as robust as some
from the mid-Atlantic want us to believe, this is also a pivotal time for striped bass management given
the pending changes to management benchmarks expected next year. I suggest it is imperative,
especially at this moment, that the fishery remain as is. If the quota is not filled, it would be a mistake
to put further pressure on the population.
The law is probably not in my favor, but I would also urge you to consider setting aside any uncaught
quota for conservation purposes in 2019. Now is not the time for Massachusetts to be taking more
fish, but to lead by example.
Thank you for your attention.
Mike Spinney
Townsend, Mass.
978-660-4053
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:30 AM
Subject: Striped Bass Fishery
Hi,
I do not believe it would be a good idea to increase the number of days per week for the commercial fishing
fleet. I have friends in the commercial Striped Bass fleet that I talk to regularly, and we all agree that finding
fish over the 34" mark has been harder this summer. With that in mind you would be allowing more pressure on
fish that just are not around like other years. All of the commercial fishermen are great people and even better
fishermen, and if they cant fill that quota it is not because they are not out there, and it is not because they are
not good at fishing, its because the schools of fish they seek are not up here in numbers this year. I myself fish
3-4 days a week out of Boston and the South Shore of Massachusetts and I have had the same findings this year.
We have definitely caught some good fish above 34" but not consistent enough to call it a "great year". You can
tell the fish we were catching were in small schools and were moving quickly, spooking easily, and being very
picky. They can be picky and curious when there is not a lot of competition for food, which is what I am seeing
personally.
Thanks for listening, I hope it does not get passed.
Jack Murphy
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:28 AM
Subject: Stripebass suggestions
My name is Colin Drane and would consider myself a part time fisherman. I have worked on a commercial lobster boat
F/V Acadia and F/V Perseverance out of Plymouth. I now have a license and pilotage for the islands which I use at The
Steamship Authority, I shellfish and try to fin fishas well on the side. I’m I also attend Bentley University and have some
business knowledge. Sorry to bore you but I believe it is important to know where the perspective is coming from.
It’s all about the price. I don’t think you need to increase Fishing days.
If anything a 10 fish limit I believe would work better to keep the price high with the current size restrictions. Now that
being said I don’t understand why we keep fish over a certain size. Aren’t we taking all the females/breeders/genetically
proven fish that have made it to that size? Dumbing down the species? Same with the cod in years past. Why not a
slotted size fish? I realize this is more than what your asking for as far as input goes but I love the fisheries and wish I
could have stayed in them full time. Don’t let a bunch of half ass fisherman whose greed out weighs their sense
convince you to what they want. Listen to the reasonable ones which WILL be the minority. If you made it this far thank
you!
Sent from my iPhone
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:22 AM
Subject: Striped Bass fishery
I feel that there should not be additional days added to the commercial Striped Bass fishing days. Keeping
regulations as they are will only improve the fishery. Thank you, James Peters
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:45 AM
Subject: stripers
Hello
I am an avid fisherman that fishes the waters off the coast of Mass ( Cape Cod ) quite a bit. I feel that the difficulty the
commercial fishermen are having is due to the lack of big Stripers in our waters. We have not seen the numbers of big
bass that have historically been in the area. Increasing the days they can fish will only make the situation worse. I
understand that there is financial impacts of not meeting the quota but maybe it’s time to give the fish a break in hopes
that they can rebound for next season.
I am NOT a fan of increasing the season
Thank you for your time
Gene
Gene Ptaszkiewicz
Building Supervisor of Rental Housing |Amherst College | 413.542.8509 | www.amherst.edu/~rhd
The rental housing office services residential properties at Amherst, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges.
Personal information contained in this email or attachments is confidential
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:54 AM
Subject: Mass Commercial Striped Bass
To whom it may concern,
My name is Mark Phillips and I am a passionate Striped Bass angler. In regards to SB, 71% is what we know was
harvested and sold. It does not include the number of SB sold illegally, off the books, and caught different days then iced
to be sold the next open day. This is not a rumor, it happens. In addition, during summer months there are boats that go
to block island at dark to catch and keep multiple giant striped bass only to turn around and v line back to mass before
sunup and make their sale to their dealer. Furthermore, resident big fish everywhere are extremely hard to come by.
From outside buzzards into cape cod bay, south to Newport RI and Narragansett Bay, the reality there is a significant
decrease in 34” and up fish. Please do not extend the commercial striped bass season in Massachusetts. We want to be
able to share memories of catching a big striped bass with our children and our children's children. I am afraid the
species may not be able to sustain the pressure and hammering of these biomass schools at the canal, block island, race
point, and wherever else the word gets out of a slaughter of giant stripers. It’s time to let the species rest and regain its
size in numbers.
Mark Phillips
Striped Bass Fisherman/concerned angler
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:19 AM
Subject: FW:
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:52 PM
To: Reed, Story (FWE) <story.reed@mass.gov>
Subject:
Leave it just the way it is! The quota will be filled and the demand for bass during the non tourist weeks will be less and if
there is an added day it would devalue the fish. And furthermore the southern part of Massachusetts doesn't see the best
fishing until October anyway. TY Jack Reynolds
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:18 AM
Subject: FW: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public
Comment Period
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 12:17 AM
Subject: RE: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public Comment Period
End all commercial fishing for striped bass and make bass a sport fish .
David Cannistraro
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:39 PM
To: Marine Fisheries Mailing List
Subject: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public Comment Period
September 11, 2018
MarineFisheries Advisory
Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days
and Public Comment Period
Current quota monitoring data demonstrates that just under 250,000 pounds – approximately 30% - of the
commercial striped bass quota remains. In recent weeks, daily harvest levels have averaged about 20,000 –
25,000 pounds. If current conditions persist, we do not project closing the fishery until October. Moreover,
current weather projections and typical fall weather may constrain fishing activity reducing our ability to utilize
the available quota.
To ensure that the 2018 commercial quota is taken, the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries is taking
public comment on increasing the number of open commercial fishing days. DMF is proposing to increase the
number of commercial fishing days for striped bass for the remainder of the 2018 season. This would adjust the
number of open fishing days per week from two days (Mondays and Thursdays) to three or four days per week,
by adding Tuesdays, Wednesdays or both.
The Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) will review DMF’s recommendation and vote on whether
or not to authorize the Director to take this action at its September 13, 2018 business meeting. Additional
notification will be sent out this Friday – September 14, 2018 - to inform the public of the MFAC’s decision on
this matter. If approved, these new fishing days will go into effect for fishing week beginning on September 17,
DMF will accept public comment on this proposal through 5PM on Tuesday, September 25, 2018. Any
comment received will be provided to the MFAC and DMF may recommend further revisions to the 2018
commercial striped bass limits based on these comments.
For more information about black sea bass management, please visit our website:
www.mass.gov/marinefisheries
---
You are currently subscribed to marinefisheries as: fastboat01@yahoo.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-797932-
25543382.d0d3a3b0da15c4f053bf889cf6c5d298@listserv.state.ma.us
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:19 AM
Subject: FW: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public
Comment Period
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public Comment Period
Mr. Reed,
In response to adding open fishing days for the 2018 commercial season.
Instead of adding days, let the season go to the end of September with current open days and close the fishery at
the end of the month. Once all data is collected and an accurate quota amount caught is obtained, take the
balance not caught and add to the 2019 commercial season. With the way the weather has been, it might be
only possible to fish a half a day which would extend the season. Even if guy's are fishing a full day no-one
seems to be hitting the mother load.
In short for the safety of the fishermen with fall coming might be wise to close it at the end of month or sooner
with the active weather pattern.
Rgds,
Brian Enos
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 16:39 <marinefisheries@listserv.state.ma.us> wrote:
September 11, 2018
MarineFisheries Advisory
Current quota monitoring data demonstrates that just under 250,000 pounds – approximately 30% - of the
commercial striped bass quota remains. In recent weeks, daily harvest levels have averaged about 20,000 –
25,000 pounds. If current conditions persist, we do not project closing the fishery until October. Moreover,
current weather projections and typical fall weather may constrain fishing activity reducing our ability to
utilize the available quota.
To ensure that the 2018 commercial quota is taken, the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries is taking
public comment on increasing the number of open commercial fishing days. DMF is proposing to increase the
number of commercial fishing days for striped bass for the remainder of the 2018 season. This would adjust
the number of open fishing days per week from two days (Mondays and Thursdays) to three or four days per
week, by adding Tuesdays, Wednesdays or both.
The Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) will review DMF’s recommendation and vote on
whether or not to authorize the Director to take this action at its September 13, 2018 business meeting.
Additional notification will be sent out this Friday – September 14, 2018 - to inform the public of the MFAC’s
decision on this matter. If approved, these new fishing days will go into effect for fishing week beginning on
September 17, 2018.
DMF will accept public comment on this proposal through 5PM on Tuesday, September 25, 2018. Any
comment received will be provided to the MFAC and DMF may recommend further revisions to the 2018
---
You are currently subscribed to marinefisheries as: fv.knotty.coffee@gmail.com
16160968.7636b5ac7c2032be99f09041b439d762@listserv.state.ma.us
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:21 AM
Comment Period
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: Advisory: Adjustments to Commercial Striped Bass Open Fishing Days and Public Comment Period
I disagree with the marine fisheries proposal to increase the commercial days for harvesting striped bass. As an
avid fisherman, its clear the fish stock is under stress and explains why the commercial fleet has not been able
to catch the quota in a time period consistent with previous years. I would propose the commercial fishing
season be closed at the end of September. Unused quota should be set aside for conservation.
Best regards,
Richard
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM <marinefisheries@listserv.state.ma.us> wrote:
September 11, 2018
MarineFisheries Advisory
current weather projections and typical fall weather may constrain fishing activity reducing our ability to
utilize the available quota.
number of commercial fishing days for striped bass for the remainder of the 2018 season. This would adjust
the number of open fishing days per week from two days (Mondays and Thursdays) to three or four days per
week, by adding Tuesdays, Wednesdays or both.
The Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) will review DMF’s recommendation and vote on
whether or not to authorize the Director to take this action at its September 13, 2018 business meeting.
Additional notification will be sent out this Friday – September 14, 2018 - to inform the public of the MFAC’s
decision on this matter. If approved, these new fishing days will go into effect for fishing week beginning on
September 17, 2018.
---
You are currently subscribed to marinefisheries as: rtaft3216@gmail.com
32247073.821b709ef12764b38554a1c6bf86f398@listserv.state.ma.us
Silva, Jared (FWE)
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:09 PM
To: Silva, Jared (FWE); Pierce, David (FWE); Armstrong, Michael (FWE)
Cc: rplastcast@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Revised 9/13/18 Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission Meeting Agenda
"Isn't it possible" that there are not enough striped bass to justify the current quota?
Why do "fishery managers" always seem so compelled to kill off every possible fish?
Perhaps you should consider cutting the quota in half for next year!
JC
In a message dated 9/11/2018 1:24:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, jared.silva@mass.gov writes:
Good afternoon,
DMF has made a last minute revision to the 9/13/18 MFAC business meeting agenda. A new agenda
item #3 has been added. The new #3 is an action item to adjust the number of commercial fishing days
in the striped bass fishery. An advisory is being sent out on this issue this afternoon. At this time, it
appears that due to weather and slow catch rates the 2018 quota will not be taken before the fish
migrate out of state-waters. Accordingly we are looking to adjust the 2-day per week schedule by
adding additional fishing days. A formal recommendation memo to the MFAC will be completed and
distributed in advance of the meeting.
Regards,
Jared
Jared Silva
Policy and Regulations
Administrative Law Clerk
MA Division of Marine Fisheries

So are they looking for a general consensus about what the public thinks about extending th commercial days?

Will enough emails opposing the extra days sway them or are they dead set on this?

14 mins ago, Chemikillz said:

So are they looking for a general consensus about what the public thinks about extending th commercial days?

Will enough emails opposing the extra days sway them or are they dead set on this?

I have confronted the DMF on that very same question before and the answer I got was: they are going to do what they damn well please "no matter what the public opinion is"! At a meeting I had with them last year they said flat out that the "public opinion input" is a requirement they have but they are not required to consider the comments as having any weight unless they are backed up by hard science. I take that to mean that if they want to kill all they can kill they will do everything they can to make that happen and even "hard science" will be challenged until AFTER the kill-quota is complete, even possibly years later.....JC

15 mins ago, jason colby said:

I have confronted the DMF on that very same question before and the answer I got was: they are going to do what they damn well please "no matter what the public opinion is"! At a meeting I had with them last year they said flat out that the "public opinion input" is a requirement they have but they are not required to consider the comments as having any weight unless they are backed up by hard science. I take that to mean that if they want to kill all they can kill they will do everything they can to make that happen and even "hard science" will be challenged until AFTER the kill-quota is complete, even possibly years later.....JC

Thats the impression I got reading that they were taking public opinion till the end of the month but opening the extra kill days next week.

Thats a shame. Even if the comm guys agree the stocks are in decline, many will submit to fishing anyway simply to make the money or someone else will. Greed is gonna eventually wipe out this fishery.

Edited by Chemikillz

2 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Reminds me of that episode of the 3 Stooges where Curley is drilling holes in the bottom of the boat to let the water out. 

They were plumbers..."Hey Mo, These pipes are all clogged up with wires!"

3 hours ago, jason colby said:

Jason that has been the long term action going back over 50 years and given the past actions by this group, I do not see any future changes to that philosophy. It would appear that is the standard rule of how to manage a fishery and given past performances in this regard it appears to be something that they all learn on how to satisfy the laws they are required to follow as placating those laws, but with no meaning . It is obvious to the general public right now and given the lack of numbers on the quota up to this point that some thing is seriously wrong in the commercial taking of bass. The bass may be out in the deeper waters driven away by the great whites or simply over fished over the past several years out of the CCC by the poachers doing severe damage to the resource it self. What ever it best is reasoned that some one needs to stop and evaluate what has happened and what is happening that we now find ourselves in the situation that a decline is obvious, if you open there eyes to see.or put there heads in the ground and pretend all is well .    

12 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Jason that has been the long term action going back over 50 years and given the past actions by this group, I do not see any future changes to that philosophy. It would appear that is the standard rule of how to manage a fishery and given past performances in this regard it appears to be something that they all learn on how to satisfy the laws they are required to follow as placating those laws, but with no meaning . It is obvious to the general public right now and given the lack of numbers on the quota up to this point that some thing is seriously wrong in the commercial taking of bass. The bass may be out in the deeper waters driven away by the great whites or simply over fished over the past several years out of the CCC by the poachers doing severe damage to the resource it self. What ever it best is reasoned that some one needs to stop and evaluate what has happened and what is happening that we now find ourselves in the situation that a decline is obvious, if you open there eyes to see.or put there heads in the ground and pretend all is well .    

Carl,

I don't think there is any pretending at all, The DMF is never in any way ashamed to show clear and given bias to favoring commercial quotas. Surprisingly, I am actually fine with that as long as it is justified. As Rob would say, people need to eat and money needs to be made BUT the stocks and the numbers have to add up AND it can't be done at the expense of the rec community. That is clearly not the case with the management of: fluke, winter flounder, cod and striped bass (just to name a few). 

In my humble opinion, "all commercial fishing/harvesting activity, with the exception of lobster traps and inshore shellfishing by individual licensed commercial fishermen (not corporate machinery)" should be moved outside of all state waters so there will be far less interaction between commercial and recreational fishermen. When I spoke to David Pierce both last year and this year he couldn't have said his pet term less than a dozen times: "local depletion" in reference to areas with zero flounder, zero haddock, zero fluke where they had been abundant the day before the draggers descended on the area. Why are rec fishermen directly competing with dozens of giant nets? Who do you think will get all the fish? The DMF has told me that "Massachusetts has zero intent of ever curbing mobile gear (draggers and dredgers) in state waters".

The striped bass situation is simply an extension of that mentality. Lucky for us, Massachusetts has not allowed commercial netting of stripers for a very long time, otherwise, we likely would not be having this discussion because they would have been extinct already!.....

Jason the process of allowing draggers and dredgers in the state waters has without question reduce the aquatic fish resources for the recreational fishermen. I saw the results of that process back in the early 40 and 50's when draggers were allowed inside Boston harbor to net the fish like cod, haddock and flounder including bass at times when they could get away with it when they were at the peaks in numbers where every shore person could catch on any given day of the year what ever species they were in search of. Silver hake and smelt losses as well as Pollock also became part of the long term loss we still see today . It has and always be about the money in the end. However saying that I also feel that the commercial side does have a right to the same stocks, but much more thought in how much is allowed to be taken needs to be reevaluated and also where they are allowed to drag needs to be also looked at for long term growth for both users or we will never be able to rebuild all of the species that are in such despair now.  

"Because of the nature of our methods" , I believe it is necessary to separate the two types of fishing by geographic lines and state waters are a good place to start. It worked well in Florida and it should work just as well here and most anywhere else. Florida is a known and accepted "sportfishing destination" and if it's all about the money, Massachusetts  can make just as much, with a far better future by getting with the program. We have "excellent potential" to have world class fishing in Boston Harbor where tourists from all over can fish sheltered waters for striped bass, cod and flounder.  I envision people from all over the world getting an airport shuttle to "The Logan Marina" (that does not exist yet) because fishing in Boston was their trip. However with the stock of "almost everything" being trimmed down to the lowest possible denominator all the time by commercial activity that can hardly happen. 95% of these people running around today think that this is the way things "should be" and they have no clue as to the way fishing "should be all the time". After you and I die, who is going to tell them? The DMF? Carlos Rafael?

On 9/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, zak-striper said:

I wonder how many guys became shore fishing comm guys after last year thinking they can make easy cash at the canal? I'm pretty sure I've seen a poaching operation a few times this season mid-week, during over night west tides.

Same guys, same pole number, same behavior that looks like they're hustlin' fish to their car or truck.

Report them to the MEP? If they don't come, at least you did the right thing.

everyone knows that the smart move is it increase the pressure on a struggling stock. duh.

Edited by HugeDinghy