The Riddler

Do you think increasing comm bass days is a good idea for a slow bass year?

33 posts in this topic

I just read the article in OTW that was released a couple of days ago. Anyone here think this is a good idea?

"To ensure that the 2018 commercial quota is taken, the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries is taking public comment on increasing the number of open commercial fishing days. DMF is proposing to increase the number of commercial fishing days for striped bass for the remainder of the 2018 season. This would adjust the number of open fishing days per week from two days (Mondays and Thursdays) to three or four days per week, by adding Tuesdays, Wednesdays or both.

The Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) will review DMF’s recommendation and vote on whether or not to authorize the Director to take this action at its September 13, 2018 business meeting. Additional notification will be sent out this Friday – September 14, 2018 – to inform the public of the MFAC’s decision on this matter. If approved, these new fishing days will go into effect for fishing week beginning on September 17, 2018.

DMF will accept public comment on this proposal through 5PM on Tuesday, September 25, 2018. Any comment received will be provided to the MFAC and DMF may recommend further revisions to the 2018 commercial striped bass limits based on these comments.

Does the DMF think that not being able to fill the quota at a time somewhere near previous years means nothing. Do they even consider that bass numbers could be less than they think they are.

Sure.....Why not? I believe DMF made the comm. regs so restrictive this year that it made it hard to fill the quota.......

Pretty much follows the DMFs line of thinking. The quota isn't being filled as in years past. Ok, lets add more days to the season the make sure it gets filled.  If we say this is due to a lack of legal fish, that would be admitting we had our calculations wrong.

DMF should just assume that the rest of the commercial quota has been filled by poachers and call it quits. 

Posted (edited)

The canal has definitely fallen off from last year's insanity if the comm guys can't even make the quota.

Here's a novel idea. End the season when it was supposed to end. If the quota isn't reached, that's ok.

Edited by zak-striper

8 mins ago, zak-striper said:

The canal has definitely fallen off from last year's insanity if the comm guys can't even make the quota.

Here's a novel idea. End the season when it was supposed to end. If the quota isn't reached, that's ok.

No, we cant do that. That would mean all the ersatz comm fishermen would have to go back to their regular jobs.

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

all the ersatz comm fishermen

I wonder how many guys became shore fishing comm guys after last year thinking they can make easy cash at the canal? I'm pretty sure I've seen a poaching operation a few times this season mid-week, during over night west tides.

Same guys, same pole number, same behavior that looks like they're hustlin' fish to their car or truck.

Edited by zak-striper

16 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I wonder how many guys became shore fishing comm guys after last year thinking they can make easy cash at the canal? I'm pretty sure I've seen a poaching operation a few times this season mid-week, during over night west tides.

Same guys, same pole number, same behavior that looks like they're hustlin' fish to their car or truck.

Zak,

A lot of people wrongly assume those illicit stripers are sold to fish markets on the qt much like the illegal sea bass fishery. Many of those fish you see being hustled off the canal are being sold to restaurants and also to ethnic communities.

Why not? And at the same time they might as well lower the size limit to 28 inches just to make sure the qouto does get filled that would also save me a few trips to the canal

Wait so they voted today, and the decision goes into effect Saturday...But the public can comment until the 25th even though the decision will have been pushed through? What's the point of that? Will they reverse their decision if public outcry was great enough?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

No, we cant do that. That would mean all the ersatz comm fishermen would have to go back to their regular jobs.

That's about the only respectable justification I can think of...the ersatz mostly are gone. I wish the ersatz could be eliminated entirely. I can't stand seeing those ersatz comms fishing out of $100K+ CC's. 

Anybody know what the wholesale price is now?

Edited by patchyfog

2 hours ago, patchyfog said:

That's about the only respectable justification I can think of...the ersatz mostly are gone. I wish the ersatz could be eliminated entirely. I can't stand seeing those ersatz comms fishing out of $100K+ CC's. 

Anybody know what the wholesale price is now?

whats a ersatz?