bdowning

Gas fires in Lawrence/Andover?

88 posts in this topic

It's bizarre to see the FBI in on the investigation. That means there will be a lot of head butting especially the those who are tradesman and got dirty in the field. Think about the agencies involved, State Fire Marshall, Mass State Police, Local Fire Department, Local police, osha, Governor investigators, building inspectors, Plumbers and gas fitters board of examiners...I just want to be in the room to hear all this go down.

34 mins ago, HappyonChappy said:

….

The lack of public response from Columbia Gas is deafening....

No doubt, a roomful attorneys and CG/NiSource are squirreled away carefully drafting a statement.

26 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around a oops that big. It would have to have been a monumental F up of epic proportions. You would have to try to screw it up. 

Elsewise, this would have happened before. 

Not the first rodeo for CG.

CG has been faulted  for a major pipeline rupture in 2012 in VA.

The blast and blaze destroyed three homes, melted siding on nearby homes and heavily damaged an interstate highway.

57 mins ago, HappyonChappy said:

and they blew up a strip club in Springfield Ma in 2012!

I was living in West Springfield when that happened. It was a very loud kaboom!

Reading up the long list of gas accidents, most are localized, usually corroded pipes, excavation mistakes or shifting earth (landslides etc).

Very few examples, if any, of what happened yesterday (although I admit I quit reading the long tedious list of "corrosion failure" stories after about 5 years worth).

This is bigger than a corroded pipe.

Natural Gas is odorless and tasteless. What you smell is actually Mercaptan . Added to Natural Gas to get that rotten cabbage smell. Some areas of New England don't add Mercaptan. I did a job down in Foxwoods and found out quick. A gas leak would just sound like a compressed air leak. Sometimes Mercaptan gets absorbed into steel piping and you can't smell it.

Edited by The Riddler

49 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Natural Gas is odorless and tasteless. What you smell is actually Mercaptan . Added to Natural Gas to get that rotten cabbage smell. Some areas of New England don't add Mercaptan. I did a job down in Foxwoods and found out quick. A gas leak would just sound like a compressed air leak. Sometimes Mercaptan gets absorbed into steel piping and you can't smell it.

And sometimes you can smell it on the steel even if there isn't any gas. 

The Red Cross is asking everyone to donate $10- to the disaster

relief fund for the affected people in the Merrimack Valley,the

link to the website can be found at www.wbz1030.com,we should

all help out.

21 mins ago, troutworm said:

all help out.

Red Cross always swooping in to capitalize on peoples misfortune. Theirs a lot better ways to help people then send your money to Red Cross. Out of the ten you send who knows how much gets donated. I’m guessing not much. 

So this has me thinking...I was over at the house with the kids and ex, wanting to show them the gas shutoff...and noticed, damn, that regulator and prv are over 25 years old. The edges of the diaphragm are dried and cracked and the fastners are all corroded 

(Didn't ease my mind any to see the gas can stored under the regulator).

I suspect this will kick gas service upgrade into high gear. My street and apartment was just upgraded.

That also gives me pause - many of the past incidents seem related to recent work on the pipes. 

19 hours ago, HappyonChappy said:

^^^

it only ignites between 5-15% gas

What that also means is that if a leak continues, a greater volume of gas will be present.  When this inevitably mixes with air, and the concetration comes back down to the range you list, combustion will be of a greater volume of fuel.   In short, 'too much gas not enough oxygen' doesnt make it safer, it makes it potentially bigger problem once it ignites.

39 mins ago, troutworm said:

all help out.

The Red Cross is the very last organization I would donate to. They will only dedicate roughly $1 of every $10 donation. As mentioned, there are better ways to help out.