bdowning

Gas fires in Lawrence/Andover?

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

They just said a McDonalds exploded. This is bizarre because most commercial buildings have PRV's/Regulators with gas vents. The gas vents are supposed to be pipped to the outside. You will see piping, normally 1" black iron pipe run up the sides of the building...in the event of elevated pressure, the gas goes out the piping above the building......in the last few years these "ventless"  Regulators came out where you don't need to run the vent's to the outside. Save money...but If these safeties don't work gas will come flying in and you will have explosions.  It's not just Columbia Gas going to get sued it's going to be Honeywell, maxitrol and a bunch of others.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Holy ****. Being a Plumber and gas fitter they must have elevated the main. You only have about a 1/2 pound coming into your house. Anything higher is considered high pressure. If the PRV fails to work you will get explosions like this. This is about as biggest of a **** up you can have from a Gas Utility.

Is the gas meter at a house supposed to reduce the pressure down to safe levels or is it assumed that the pressure in the street is already reduced?

1 hour ago, SkunkLuvver said:

How do firefighters respond to that many alarms at the same time??!!

Channel 7 was showing video of a house freely burning with no firemen available to put it out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It’s surprising that they were able to get to the ones that they did.  Andover and North Andover might see a fire a week. North Andover had twenty tonight.  I am on the cape right now but was lucky that a friend stopped by and shut of the gas at my  house at the meter for me just in case.  This could take days to sort out and decide who’s power and gas to turn back on in what order.

Edited by adson

Is it safe to assume that an over pressure event could have weakened components inside of unaffected buildings that may leak under normal pressures when the gas is turned back on?  If so.....the same thing could happen again!

I’d be also be concerned about the known leaks in the system that they haven’t gotten around to fixing ( there are a few that I know of)  that might have have been further weakened tonight. 

So let me play devil's advocate here...

Could a gas utility be hacked from outside to overcharge the pressure to the system? There have always been discussions about how vulnerable our power grid could be to terrorists.... Could this be the test run?

4 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

The guy turning off people’s gas deserves a parade.

And he may get one, just don't be surprised if it looks like a picket line around the police station by the plumber's union. 

6 hours ago, z-man said:

Is the gas meter at a house supposed to reduce the pressure down to safe levels or is it assumed that the pressure in the street is already reduced?

Typical meter bar outside the house. You can see the regulator before the meter. This is spring activated and designed to close shut. Some are ventless like the one in the pic some have a tap in for a vent to run up along side of the house to the roof. Most are ventless. Sometimes these don't work, get corroded and can't stop the gas pressure when it gets over a 1/2lb. Some will leak outside and if an AC window unit is around that can be a source of ignition.

gaspressureregulator.jpg