BrokeOff

NE Fly Fishing Vessel

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, JonC said:

If you build a conchfish keep it really simple, no liner, no hatches, just the bare bones. That way you will be able to get it done in one winter, a first build is super time consuming and most of the work is after the hull is complete. The great thing is that you’ll have the consultant possible with Chris.

JC

Travis Smith has also already been super helpful.  Maybe I can pick your brain as well.  Speaking of which, is there any reason I can build the hull during one winter, run the skiff over the summer, then finish the interior the next winter?

I think you can divide the work as proposed. You could just make a temporary foredeck and floorboards out of plywood, and sit on a cooler, you just have to make the hull stiff enough to run without the added structure of an integrated deck and floor. 

In the end you’ll have a super little boat that will serve for a very long time

JC

On 9/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, JCH said:

Agreed.  The new Sea Ox is pretty sweet too. 

...but a heck of a lot heavier than the JB....

JB has the "Cape Fisherman 1910LT" which is a 20' boat as well as the "Cape Fisherman 20," also a 20' boat but 7" wider.  Are the two similar in how they handle chop, etc?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:34 AM, BrokeOff said:

For some reason I have really resigned myself to fly fishing in shallow water by sight.

I've been on about every type of skiff goin, round the Cape, with lots of time on both the Monomoy and CCB flats. There's many possibilities for what you want to do, in terms of hull type and material, and probably cheaper than you think if you go used. Which is the only way I'd buy a hull, personally. So I'll go through some options. It'll be a fun exercise for me, since I like talking boats anyway.

What's your budget? I was gonna go with $3-5K for something used and on the market now.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, nesportsman said:

I built it, it's called the Bateau SK14. It's a little more involved to build than the LYS (I originally planned to build that) but is a fun little boat. If you want to see if in person PM me and we can arrange something. 3 friends of mine decided to build them after being out on it and at least 1 of them might be on the market soon if you're interested.

You did a nice job on the SK14. If you don't mind my asking how much do you have in materials and labor on that build?

7 mins ago, Doug.Hill said:

You did a nice job on the SK14. If you don't mind my asking how much do you have in materials and labor on that build?

It was $3300 all in but most of that was in the new engine ($1800) and the electronics (9" unit on clearance for $300). Next to that I really spared no expense and things like the LED low profile nav lights were close to $400. If i remember right the complete hull was around $600 including fiberglass, foam (it's completely foam filled), paint, etc. 

Labor I didn't keep track of but only put in maybe 2-3 full days of work and 30 mins to an hour here and there. I didn't have enough clamps to do the deck runners for instance so would do 2-3 at a time and there are a bunch. I started the build around middle of June and was done in Sept all without sacrificing time I would normally be out fishing.

5 mins ago, nesportsman said:

It was $3300 all in but most of that was in the new engine ($1800) and the electronics (9" unit on clearance for $300). Next to that I really spared no expense and things like the LED low profile nav lights were close to $400. If i remember right the complete hull was around $600 including fiberglass, foam (it's completely foam filled), paint, etc. 

Labor I didn't keep track of but only put in maybe 2-3 full days of work and 30 mins to an hour here and there. I didn't have enough clamps to do the deck runners for instance so would do 2-3 at a time and there are a bunch. I started the build around middle of June and was done in Sept all without sacrificing time I would normally be out fishing.

Which foam did you work with and where did you get it?  Once my jig is set up I'm planning on ordering Divinycell H-80.

On 9/23/2018 at 0:36 PM, patchyfog said:

I've been on about every type of skiff goin, round the Cape, with lots of time on both the Monomoy and CCB flats. There's many possibilities for what you want to do, in terms of hull type and material, and probably cheaper than you think if you go used. Which is the only way I'd buy a hull, personally. So I'll go through some options. It'll be a fun exercise for me, since I like talking boats anyway.

What's your budget? I was gonna go with $3-5K for something used and on the market now.

The budget is probably 6k because that is what I was planning on spending on a Bote Rover.  The problem is that I can sneak a paddleboard by the wife more easily than I can sneak a boat past her.  

That's why I'm going to do the skiff build which will slowly increase in magnitude over time.

39 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

Which foam did you work with and where did you get it?  Once my jig is set up I'm planning on ordering Divinycell H-80.

Total boat 2 part floatation foam (2lb density) from Jamestown Distributors. Pick the hottest day you have to do the foam and you'll get a lot more expansion out of it. I didn't want to wait for a 80+ day so did it on a 70-74 degree day and didn't get nearly as much expansion as I would have wanted.

IMG_6743.JPG

7 mins ago, nesportsman said:

Total boat 2 part floatation foam (2lb density) from Jamestown Distributors. Pick the hottest day you have to do the foam and you'll get a lot more expansion out of it. I didn't want to wait for a 80+ day so did it on a 70-74 degree day and didn't get nearly as much expansion as I would have wanted.

IMG_6743.JPG

Got it.  The Conchfish uses PVC foam sheets just like plywood is used.  Then you put extra glassing inside and out for strength.  I have been looking at Jamestown and they seem the best.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:21 AM, xp800 said:

18’ Eastern is a great boat to get into skinny water and will fish the rocks in our area..They are a proven downeast style hull that drafts very little water..

They're beauties.

I have a 15' Key West center console which is a great value. You can get one rigged for fishing which is the 1520 model. I have the 152 model from 2006.

My neighbor has a Jonas Brothers which is really made for fly fishing. This boat is Sweet

Edited by squammer