BrokeOff

NE Fly Fishing Vessel

34 posts in this topic

I've spent the last year going in circles thinking about a good fly fishing machine to us in New England.  It used to be that I was looking for a skiff that could do the flats and rocks out front.  I don't think the rocks out front are really my thing anymore although all fishing is fun for me.  So, between Boston and the NH border I'm finding some fun sheltered flats.  In these areas a kayak/SUP/microskiff/Gheeneo/dory will be fine.  My new concern is how these options would fair on the largest flats that the Cape has to offer.  They are so expansive that a 20 mile run wouldn't be unreasonable.  Certainly I can wade right where I put it but I'd love to have some range and the ability to zip around.  Can this be done in a microskiff with zero deadrise and little freeboard?  Or do I really need to look a skiff that can handle a bit of chop.  This question specifically pertains to that big flat in the Cape.  If I'm fishing Nantucket, MV, or Monomoy I'm going with a guide.

Posted (edited)

Hi!

I use a Boston Whaler Montauk 17, I run it in small water and out front if the weather is calm. maybe It can help you.

Edited by SeabassLove

You definitely can not do it with a skiff with no deadrise, it would kill you especially on a long run and the wind can kick up in a matter of minutes, to do what you’re saying you’re talking about a bay boat. If you want to stay close to home a flats boat would work great and is way easier to get in and out of when you want to park and wade, bigger heavier boat draft a lot more and you have to be really careful where you park or you could be waiting for the tide to lift you off the sand. I have a shallow draft boat I use around the Cape, but I stay very close to home at all times, a short run on a calm sea can turn into a long slog if the wind kicks up.

Also,  bear in mind, boats are a PITA when you’re not in them, loading, unloading, trailering, parking, storing, maintaining, etc, etc. Start small.

JC

They are a good place to rest when you get pooped!

066B2BE6-FBAA-4F29-91DF-6EF3AC3BA071.jpeg.c2a102c1dc5e0e66a59366b74324aa5c.jpeg

Agreed, I think something with a bit of freeboard is your best bet. Panga is a good option, but an alternative could be something like a 16' sturdee - may be a bit sparse if you're looking for creature comforts though. 

Not to derail, but @JonC - what kind of rig is that? Its beautiful

I would recommend a ~20 foot center console with a V - a bay boat.  You can get into (somewhat) skinny water, and it gives you the flexibility to go "out front" if you need to.

Posted (edited)

26 mins ago, capeonfly said:

Not to derail, but @JonC - what kind of rig is that? Its beautiful

Thanks.

It’s a boat I built to my design for fishing around the Cape and Nauset Marsh in particular because that’s where I stay when I’m there.

JC

Edited by JonC

Just buy yourself a good flats boat. I ran all over Fishers Island and the RI salt ponds in an 18' Maverick Master Angler.

Boat is great in the skinny, very stable, tracks very well when poling and handles a decent chop very well..

is there a reason you're going so small?  You don't need ultra shallow draft on most new england flats and the bigger heavier boat will get you more days on the water and expand your range.

2 mins ago, boatdrinks said:

is there a reason you're going so small?  You don't need ultra shallow draft on most new england flats and the bigger heavier boat will get you more days on the water and expand your range.

I think it's because I've had my best success locally when the water is very shallow.  There is great fishing with about a foot of water on the flat.  There is not a lot of exposure and I can fish it more frequently than a trip to the Cape.  So I wouldn't want to give up this fishing just to have more access if I fished the Cape for a week once a year.

I also believe there are beach side sight fishing options around me that could yield better fish.  Don't really want to brave an inlet on the wrong tide in a Gheenoe.

1 min ago, BrokeOff said:

I think it's because I've had my best success locally when the water is very shallow.  There is great fishing with about a foot of water on the flat.  There is not a lot of exposure and I can fish it more frequently than a trip to the Cape.  So I wouldn't want to give up this fishing just to have more access if I fished the Cape for a week once a year.

I also believe there are beach side sight fishing options around me that could yield better fish.  Don't really want to brave an inlet on the wrong tide in a Gheenoe.

maybe a hewes or something like that?  

Or maybe a solid gheenoe and a center console of some sort?  That way you can fish the shallow areas and comfortably fish bigger water on different days.

18’ Eastern is a great boat to get into skinny water and will fish the rocks in our area..They are a proven downeast style hull that drafts very little water..

I fish a 20ft Hewes LT,  bgt after going with a guide out of Monomoy. We  fished the flats and the rips on the north side  of  Islands.  We poled it in 1-2ft of water.  It is a sturdy flats boat which I added a trolling motor ,because I'm not poling that big a boat,buy it can  be done.  You can run the boat in a good chop using the trim tabs. It's not  a heavy seas boat however.  I've had mine for 20yrs.  It flies in calm conditions with a 150HP. Good luck with your decision.