Bogey

Quality fish in the surf

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

One of the excuses that’s common is the water is too warm and bass and blues and they seek cooler waters offshore. If that were the case why aren’t  they replaced by warm water fish like jacks, Spanish Mack’s, pompano and other warm water surf fish. A book published in 1958 sites the jack’s range to Nova Scotia as a stray. There seems to be plenty of bait, I can’t understand warm water as an excuse for no fish..

None of them are really migratory fish. The ocean is cyclical, just like nearly every other natural thing on earth. Now, when black bears hibernate, you wouldn’t want polar bears to take their place, would you?

Why would warm-water fish want to come here? If there was ever a reason to I’m sure they would. As for bass, maybe water that’s too warm/cold requires the fish to expend much more energy, and that’s why they try to avoid it?  I don’t know about you, but when it gets 100+ or 30- degrees outside I try to avoid going out any more than I need to, and I have ways to deal with it unlike the fish. For them it’s likely more beneficial to get gone when the extremes roll around. I could be wrong, but I’m not going to deny what’s right in front of me. Had real good action all spring/early summer before it got too hot, and then the fishing slowed down. Why did that happen? Why do the crazy blitzes tend to happen in the fall? Maybe it’s because with all the bait around and the water temperatures cooler the bass can safely come to the surf to feed. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 0:23 PM, Bogey said:

One of the excuses that’s common is the water is too warm and bass and blues and they seek cooler waters offshore. If that were the case why aren’t  they replaced by warm water fish like jacks, Spanish Mack’s, pompano and other warm water surf fish.

This does happen to a degree.  Spanish macks do make a showing off the SS of Long Island from time to time in the summer as well as other warm water species like triggerfish & even cobia.

I think the way you got to look at this is that they don’t travel long like great whites up and down the coast.

they need to populate an area, then expand, the next area.

do you guys have sand fleas on the beaches up there? My guess is that they will appear, if nothing changes in a matter of years, slowly moving up the coast season by season.