Livefreeordie

Would You Choose More Fish or One Big?

37 posts in this topic

If you had to choose, and you knew what the results would be... would you choose to catch 5 @ 30" fish or 1 @ 48" fish? For argument's sake, let's say this is over the course of a 3.5 hr outing.

Personally, I go to places, specifically because I think I have a shot at large, knowing I might catch nothing instead, about 8x/yr. The rest of the time, I go to places where I just think there's a good chance of catching. Also, I sometimes just try new spots or old spots at different tides, to see if they produce. 

IMO, it's more fun to stay local, learn my rivers and shoreline, and catch a few. Sometime's I'll use lighter gear, which makes the small fish a little harder to handle. Very often, I'll try different techniques to see if there's bigger fish mixed in with the smaller: stuff like bigger lures, lower in the water column, eels, or big bait instead of lure. Every now and then, this works, and I'll catch a larger fish than I thought likely.

I have no qualms with folks who spend more time driving than fishing, who go to those big fish spots. Good for them, I say. I also take no issue with folks content to pick off back bay schoolies, and never venture onto the rocky jetty with a bag of eels. Whatever wets your waders don't bother me.

But, for discussion's sake, would you choose a bunch of medium/small fish, or just one big fish?

I put my time in to find the big fish. blitzes and fast action nights are just rewards for countless nights of no sleep, sore muscles, and lost gear. Ill take 1 big fish a season over a season of rats.

With that said, I like to break the skunnk first.

Big fish all the time.  I'm a C/R person,so lots of small don't float my boat. I only use the rigs that can handle big fish and use equal size plugs to avoid the small fish.  5 or 6 yrs  ago I didn't get skunked very often,  now it happens on a regular basis.  Sad to see the fishery being depleted. Saw this same thing 30yrs ago.

Depends on the season.  When there's large around, I'm using big baits for them.  If I'm getting blanked, I'll downsize.  Beginning and ending of the season, I just want to fish and will chase whatever. 

Peak season, I'm not bringing any light rods with me and I usually stay focused on going big.  I always catch some small fish trying to go large, but don't catch large fish too often fishing for smalls.

I think it's a natural progression. When you start out just catching is a challenge so you want lots of fish. After a bunch of seasons with lots of little fish you move on to hunting that one fish.

1 hour ago, John P said:

Big fish all the time.  I'm a C/R person,so lots of small don't float my boat. I only use the rigs that can handle big fish and use equal size plugs to avoid the small fish.  5 or 6 yrs  ago I didn't get skunked very often,  now it happens on a regular basis.  Sad to see the fishery being depleted. Saw this same thing 30yrs ago.

Agree 100%.

I'd take the one big fish over any amount of little fish 100% of the time.

Edited by jesgord

While I enjoy every fish I catch, the past few seasons I've been focusing all my effort on bigger fish. I can go down to several spots and destroy schoolies all night but there's no challenge in that. I like to fish where and when I think bigger fish might bite knowing that my next cast might just give me that sought after "fifty". It's a totally different and more satisfying experience imo.

I also will say I pass up the little guys,because as careful you are when catching them a certain number get injured,so they will not likely survive release.  I hate that aspect of fishing and try to minimize it where ever I can.  Hope some of these guys will be the next generation of 40-50lbers.

Number of or quality of never interested me. I’m more of a person that just wants to fish. I love being on the water and a fish is a bonus. I enjoy seeing the wildlife, could be birds or a dolphin. Sitting back and watching the behavior is just fun to me. 

Ive dropped some big fish over the years and the person next to me just went crazy like it was the only fish left out there. Me, I’m just ok next. 

I’m usually content with just getting action. But my fishing trips are limited as I don’t get out nearly as much as I’d like (less than 30 trips a season) so I’m happy just finding anything 

I fish almost entirely for the cooler, and would rather eat a 30" (or smaller) any day over a bigger fish, so give me the five 30's, we'll keep our 1 per angler, and the rest get to live, grow up, and get caught by the rest of you in a decade or so.