nightsurf

Shimano Trevala 7' TVC70L

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, anyone have experience with this rod for bottom fishing? This would be for the Western LI sound. 

Also, what baitcaster would balance well with it?

This would be mostly for tog.  Keep in mind 99% of the time in my area you are using less than 5oz of lead and fishing in less than 50 feet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I am very happy with the 7' Trevala casting and spin rods in 10-30lb for fluke.  I've also used the spin version(TVS70L) for casting to albies .It will not really do well with anything more than about  2oz. If you like, the 30-80 lb  or 50-100lb Trevala would be more suited for bottom fishing with bait. They are great rods, at a very reasonable price, and I have never had to do more than clean and replace  the occasional tip.   They go onto the boat in the spring and are used until the boat is pulled.  

35 mins ago, dieselgrady said:

I am very happy with the 7' Trevala casting and spin rods in 10-30lb for fluke.  I've also used the spin version(TVS70L) for casting to albies .It will not really do well with anything more than about  2oz. If you like, the 30-80 lb  or 50-100lb Trevala would be more suited for bottom fishing with bait. They are great rods, at a very reasonable price, and I have never had to do more than clean and replace  the occasional tip.   They go onto the boat in the spring and are used until the boat is pulled.  

Thanks for the feedback diesel, what reel do you have on the casting version?

I use an old Calcutta 400BSV on mine with 20, or 30 lb braid. It is also great for jigging bass in the fall, and is my go to when throwing those 7" weighted shads. When i'm feeling sporty, i'll use it for tog, and actually caught my largest (14lb) on one. The fish fortunately did not dig for structure, and I was not sure of its' identity until ready for the net. You can use the smaller 200 sized Calcutta, but would suggest you switch out the stock handle, for the single knob power type.

Sounds great, i think i may pick one up.  Still not sure on the reel, i may try one of the low profile baitcasters, simply because i dont own one.  Have several round baitcasters. Open to suggestions

What type of bottom fishing? Fluke, Seabass, Tautog, Porgy, all of the above?

I really like the new Shimano Tranx 300, and for what you are looking to accomplish I think it should be perfect.

I think it's an awfully light rod for 5oz in 50 feet. I wouldn't even use it with 3oz in 30 feet. You might consider getting the ML version instead. I love 'em both. 

I'm a big fan of the Shimano Calcutta D reels. I use them on the L and ML. 

The way I see it, rods are like women, everybody has different taste in women.  That said, I have a Trevala something or other that is my favorite casting rod for fluke.  Have not found one that I like for tog. Only way to know if you will like it is if you try it out.

I have Avet sx reels on mine with 40 lb  braid . I fish for everything with them. I even live line scup for Stripers while drifting with one . I have 4 of these set ups on the boat 

On 9/13/2018 at 6:11 AM, nightsurf said:

Hey guys, anyone have experience with this rod for bottom fishing? This would be for the Western LI sound. 

Also, what baitcaster would balance well with it?

This would be mostly for tog.  Keep in mind 99% of the time in my area you are using less than 5oz of lead and fishing in less than 50 feet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I think that is the rod I am using for bay and river fluking I have on mine a tranx with 20 # braid. The rod is the light wt. one for jigging  long butt  . Have used it in the ocean too jigging for fluke and bottom fish like sea bass. I dont know for sure but i think the med. one would be a better all around one  The Calcutta 400 or lighter model would be a good fit also. I love the callcutta with the power handle as I have 2 . the power  handle on the tranx  to me is kinda big. I was thinking of trying to put the callcutta handle on it.

I had an avet sx on mine until I dropped it overboard. I caught everything from seabass, stripers, fluke and even a torpedo ray that had to be over 150 lbs. I can still see it slowly sinking with a fish on.

I fish with several different Trevalas. From porgy to Tuna. Love these bait cast style, actually a jigging rod, so much my buddies have drank the cool aid too. I paired mine with Diawa Saltists 30H and 40 H. Bullet resistant, nothing is bullet proof, and tough. Never repaired rod. Clean drags from time to time. Biggest on medium action was 48 pound striper and on the extra heavy was a 10-12 pound  Taug. Need to try the spinners.